Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookiedude13

First had n gauge as a little boy which my parents got me. Over the last 25 years though I've built up such a large collection it's become rather pointless selling it and starting again fully in a new gauge. That said I love the detail and quality available in N now and although I've dabbled in OO and even O over the years I always fall back into N.

Webbo

Partly because my wife would not let me have a G gauge layout round the garden and partly because N gauge allows you to spend more money per square area of layout than any other scale (except for Z scale).

All seriousness aside, N scale has always seemed to me the natural modelling scale during my adult life. Having said this, I also run a G gauge circuit with a 4-6-0 steamer to satisfy my craving for looking at valve gear motion as well as an OO/HO circuit on which I run some old Trix trains from my youth as well as a sound-equipped Flying Scotsman and a passenger train, the Canadian by Rapido (also sound), which is gorgeous. All scales are great, but N provides the best opportunities for scenery, long trains etc.

Ian

norfolkguy83

I have oo gauge but after moving space limited I moved to N gauge.. Actually Im loving it..
Andy :)

Thorpe Parva

Initially due to a reduction in available space but having made the change I can't see that I would ever return to OO. N gauge requires less baseboard construction...my current layout is built on a Wickes flush door supported by 2 Wickes Trestles. If I ever have more space available then I will stick with N gauge so that I can run longer trains. Having decided to change scale I joined the NGS which was a very good decision & one that I would recommend to others if not already a Member.
In an ideal world I believe that the best modelling scale would be 1:100 but I know that this will never happen for all the obvious reasons.
David

talisman56

Quote from: Thorpe Parva on March 02, 2015, 04:09:16 PM

In an ideal world I believe that the best modelling scale would be 1:100 but I know that this will never happen for all the obvious reasons.
David

British 3mm scale (aka TT) is 1:101.6 so its within a gnats crotchet of 1:100 - only issue is very little RTR support...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Komata

Talisman

Re: 'British 3mm scale (aka TT) is 1:101.6 so its within a gnats crotchet of 1:100 - only issue is very little RTR support...'

Agreed, but in New Zealand, it is used to portray the local national (NG) railway (3ft 6 in gauge) and although technically it is TTn31/2 is known locally as NZ120.  It has quite a (growing) following, to the extent that it is now an officially recognised scale , and has increasing support from local cottage industries.  It's a very viable 'alternative' for those who want to model 'local' but have neither the space or ability to work in the other two predominant scales (9 mm: 1 ft, and Sn 31/2).

Thought you might like to know...
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

R Marshall

Having downsized from our 4 bed house to a 2 bed bungalow and sold all my OO models in preparation, I'd realised how much N Gauge availability of locos and rolling stock had come on from the 70s, when I'd last looked at it seriously.

The Farish B1 and 3MT were deciding factors - I still miss my Bachmann Thompson carriages - I had 2 rakes of them - but otherwise I'm delighted with what I've been able to get (especially a D20 and J26s from Union Mills).

So space (both for layout - flowing track for a "trainspotter's view" - and storage of stock and materials, etc) and available range were the key deciders.

carpy

back in the 60s i passed a model shop which had a what i know to be an n gauge  small layout in the window . this set me thinking as i had just built 2 coffee tables and thought the next one i build i will build it with a plate glass top with a board underneath and put a small layout of scenery and a train going round  . this never happend as a house move meant more important things to do.  the whole idea got forgotten.   then about 5 years ago whilst having an occasional drink with an old work mate he told me  that he had gone with someone to a toy and train fair and bought some n gauge track an rolling stock and was quite enjoying experimenting with it.this now rekindled my old idea. so knowing nothing at all about the real railways nor model railways as when i grew up in the 40s and 50s all i had was a clockwork set  so i purchased a few magazines and went to the nearest advertised shop  my original coffee table idea . his immediate answer was it would be far too small and had little scope so think bigger about 5 by 3 foot.this i took in and left about 500 pounds poorer , and now a few thousand pounds poor ,but enjoying every minute .i am now near to completion of my first layout of modern uk diesel also planning the next one which will be prewar uk steam. so now you know.   yours carpy

Basinga

I didn't choose N Gauge. N Gauge chose me...

Or more accurately, my dad has been a member of the 2mm scale association since before I can remember, so N is simply the scale I grew up with. It just makes more sense, it gives you more room and longer trains to play with than the larger scales.

Biggy

I also find that I get more in the space available. Also I think OO can look toy trainy unless a lot of detail is added to rolling stock and scenics.
Mind you I'm sure N gauge was bigger when I was 17  :confused2: I sometimes think it would all be easier in the larger scale.
Not sure its supposed to do that

StormyOutlook

As a child I had a OO layout and still have all the bits in my loft, in his retirement my Grandfather purchased a Fleischmann N gauge set in the early 1980s, his n gauge bits were passed on to me.  Fast forward to 2012 and a small circle of track was placed on the dining room table, given the limited space I have in my fairly modern house, N gauge is ideal as it's amazing what can modeled in such a small space. 

LNER1949

When OOO Lone Star first came out ! Push along on metal tracks, then electrics rubber bands ! Then the Arnold models came along, then the wonderful Peco loco, which I still have running today ! never really looked back and the choisees now are enormous, compaired with today than what we had back in the early 60s ! I still enjoy the gauge evern today.

Zimonski

Originally, after seeing an N gauge model of Exeter station in Railway Modeller magazine, I wanted to run longer trains on sweeping curves but back in the 1980's I had no idea about split cogs and replacing them and just how badly damp would affect baseboards in a shed :( so my dream ground to a halt. My interest was re-kindled when I learnt about replacing split cogs and started experimenting with shelf layouts!

Newportnobby

Hi Zimonski, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

D1042 Western Princess

:wave: Hello and welcome. There is a section devoted to new members and it might be advantageous to you to leave a message there where everyone can see it and welcome you properly.
Meanwhile, it's nice to have you with us.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations