Garage petrol scam's

Started by Oldun, November 27, 2014, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FeelixTC

Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 28, 2014, 11:20:04 AM
Quote4x4s can be a very important vehicle to those of us living out in the sticks.

It should be an essential part of the sale that a proof of frequent need for off road performance is required.

Why?? They don't ask you to run, before you buy a pair of trainers at JD Sports..............

Malc

Quote from: FeelixTC on November 28, 2014, 11:24:08 AM
Why?? They don't ask you to run, before you buy a pair of trainers at JD Sports..............
No, but the should
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Sprintex

Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 28, 2014, 11:20:04 AM
That's what they're made for, not for the quarter mile each way school run and maybe half mile Tesco trip, and the only time they go off road is when they park on the pavement!

Most of them qualify for the "Chelsea Tractor" title.

It's the cited reason behind driving a large 4x4 that some of the parents have that bothers me. Usually it's "because it's safer for my precious child" - true, but how is that parent going to feel if they are unfortunate enough to T-bone that Ford Fiesta with three kids in and kill the occupants where a smaller car would have just caused damage and minor injuries? :hmmm:

Fair enough if you need the traction, ground clearance, towing-weight, etc of a 4x4 as there is clearly a need for them, and mostly you find that those that DO need them are the ones that drive them accordingly :thumbsup:

Paul

Agrippa

I always thought John Terry was the original "Chelsea tractor", if he ran into you
you'd get a few dents and scrapes.... :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Sprintex

Must be something to do with sport I'm guessing since I've no idea who he is ;D

Paul

trainsdownunder

Quote from: Agrippa on November 28, 2014, 12:56:07 PM
I always thought John Terry was the original "Chelsea tractor", if he ran into you
you'd get a few dents and scrapes.... :D

No that was "Chopper" Harris but now we're going  :offtopicsign:

Kipper

Getting back on original topic - I am a retired Trading Standards Officer (cover blown now), and can assure you all that the pump does not lie (just tells little fibs). When testing pumps, using certified measures, we have to put the exact amount in, and can do it quite easily, as we are in no rush, and use the nozzle at slow speeds as the measure reaches the marked graduation. Most drivers fill at full nozzle speed, until the nozzle "clicks", and then try to put more in. The gentle squeeze is a knack to be learnt! As the pump is running full chat, the hose tends to dilate when the nozzle clicks, and that is why some find they cannot get the pump to stop at the exact point they want. It is best to fill the tank slowly, to avoid this happening and, (believe it or not) slow deliveries usually give slight over measure, which is why we test both fast and slow deliveries.

Griffo

Quote from: Kipper on November 28, 2014, 09:03:22 PM
Getting back on original topic - I am a retired Trading Standards Officer (cover blown now), and can assure you all that the pump does not lie (just tells little fibs). When testing pumps, using certified measures, we have to put the exact amount in, and can do it quite easily, as we are in no rush, and use the nozzle at slow speeds as the measure reaches the marked graduation. Most drivers fill at full nozzle speed, until the nozzle "clicks", and then try to put more in. The gentle squeeze is a knack to be learnt! As the pump is running full chat, the hose tends to dilate when the nozzle clicks, and that is why some find they cannot get the pump to stop at the exact point they want. It is best to fill the tank slowly, to avoid this happening and, (believe it or not) slow deliveries usually give slight over measure, which is why we test both fast and slow deliveries.

And, as a retired service station manager, .... what he says!

Oldun

While we are on the subject of fuel/petrol prices. Over the last three months the benchmark price
of oil 'Brent Crude' has dropped from $118.40 per barrel to $78.42 per barrel. Has anyone seen a
real drop in fuel prices in proportion to the actual base cost :-\

Allowing for the fixed duty rate and VAT, we should (if the drop is passed on) be paying at the pumps
109.9p per Ltr. That's not allowing for 'promotional' price reductions by the garage/outlet.

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Kipper

Petrol station in Sutton Road, Huthwaite (Notts), just off J28 of the M1, is selling unleaded at £117.9/litre. Anyone on the motorway would do well to divert off a coupe of miles. Not a mainstream brand, but still  fuel, and works in my car OK!

MJKERR

Quote from: Oldun on November 29, 2014, 02:11:01 AMOver the last three months the benchmark price
of oil 'Brent Crude' has dropped from $118.40 per barrel to $78.42 per barrel.
We received our latest delivery yesterday
Unleaded was at the cost price of £1.13 per litre, Diesel was at the cost price of £1.19, based on the cost price of 11 November
We then put our unleaded and diesel prices down 2p per litre, £1.18 and £1.20, which rarely put us to the same price as our two marker sites (Asda and Tesco)

Deliveries can be anything between 6 and 28 days behind the cost price, as stock is consumed
It tends to be longer at the beginning of winter

Oldun

Quote from: mjkerr on December 01, 2014, 12:51:57 PM
Deliveries can be anything between 6 and 28 days behind the cost price, as stock is consumed
It tends to be longer at the beginning of winter

I agree, the lower price of the base product is slow in manifesting itself as it filters through the system.

The bit that makes me and others think/know there is a fiddle going on with the oil companies is the
immediate rise in the fuel we buy as and when the base price increases :veryangry:

Roger

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

mr bachmann

thank you all for paying the extra - and subsudising my bus pass  :D

the car has been off the road sorn  for 10 year and I have 2 galls (10ltr) of 4 star - one in metal ready can and the other in plastic ready can , the metal can is still full but the plastic can is half full both caps are tight - even left both cans upside down for a couple of weeks - but not leaking , so the plastic can must be porous .

Alan

Oldun

Quote from: mr bachmann on December 01, 2014, 08:43:06 PM
the car has been off the road sorn  for 10 year and I have 2 galls (10ltr) of 4 star - one in metal ready can and the other in plastic ready can , the metal can is still full but the plastic can is half full both caps are tight - even left both cans upside down for a couple of weeks - but not leaking , so the plastic can must be porous .

You are correct Alan, plastic is porous but, it takes so long you don't actually notice it over a short period of time.

Over 10 years as you say it did show.

Roger

Kipper

And yogurt pots will dissolve on contact with petrol - as i found, many years ago, when cleaning my Ford Consul carburettor, and trying to save the small amount of fuel in it!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations