Does your loco wobble

Started by upnick, April 02, 2013, 09:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnick

Hi  All,   
This evening  i   fitted new couplers to my DCC   Farish   J94  after giving it a renumber i  ran  it around the layout  it runs like a little good un  but does have a  bit of a wobble is this normal   ?   

Alex

Hi Nick,

My 94 has a slight wobble as well, only really noticeable at high speed. I put it down to the short wheelbase, but could be wrong.

Alex :wave:

Sprintex

Must admit I've seen it quite a lot on the steamers that people run at club, new or old, last one was a new Black 5 ;)

My Farish (Poole) Scotsman does it too.

Paul

Lankyman

I have a Farish Crab which is DCC fitted and had an extreme wobble, well documented on another topic on this forum so I will not go into further details. After trying all the excellent advice I was given I eventually identified that the thing had been incorrectly wired when the decoder was fitted and one wire was rubbing against the back of the rear driving wheel so that there was no sideways movement in that axle. I have now had it rewired and whilst not running perfectly it is much better and I can live with it.

As I know nowt about these things really, I am not suggesting this may be your problem but just try if the axles have free movement side to side. If this is not the problem I have no further advice so will leave it to the experts to chip in.

Ron
Ron

upnick

Many thanks for your quick  replies gents  ;)   

Glad its  not just me with  a wobble  :smiley-laughing:   

No wires near to the rear of the wheels Ron  checked the axles movement &   all  is fine  thanks for the tips though.

longbridge

I had a J94 that used to wobble, in fact it wobbled so much I got rid of it, a great looking little loco totally wrecked by a poor performance  :veryangry:

As a matter of fact it was the J94 and a Pannier Tank that got me back into US modelling, but only for a couple of years.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Dr Al

I have two J94s and neither wobble - both are rock solid performers and will crawl at 1:148 walking pace.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

RichardBattersby

I have two and both wobble a little.
Why did you change the couplers? Have you changed the type?
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

upnick

Quote from: RichardBattersby on April 03, 2013, 12:43:47 PM
I have two and both wobble a little.
Why did you change the couplers? Have you changed the type?

Hi  Richard,   

I  changed the couplers as i  want them to  look  more  realistic with Microtrains / undertrack  magnet  to allow me  to run trains & uncouple without the 'hand of god'   approach.

RichardBattersby

Cool, thanks. Sorry for being nosey. I'm hoping to give Dapol couplers a try in the future.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

upnick

Quote from: RichardBattersby on April 03, 2013, 08:38:31 PM
Cool, thanks. Sorry for being nosey. I'm hoping to give Dapol couplers a try in the future.

No problems Richard  if you dont ask you dont know   ;)

longbridge

Quote from: upnick on April 03, 2013, 09:15:25 PM

They look a 100% better than the huge chunk of plastic stuck out the front Nick, sadly my collection has grown to large to convert so it can get quite costly.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

upnick

Quote from: longbridge on April 03, 2013, 09:38:21 PM
Quote from: upnick on April 03, 2013, 09:15:25 PM

They look a 100% better than the huge chunk of plastic stuck out the front Nick, sadly my collection has grown to large to convert so it can get quite costly.

They do  look  far better  longbridge  i  agree  there are a good few N gauge models i'd  like more without the dated Rapido coupler  dont get me wrong rapidos are a reliable  item   & have been so for a long time but are the one thing manufaturers need to replace on  locos  as they let the  superb   detailing standards down  terribly.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations