N Gauge Now

Started by Northern Git, November 24, 2013, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fardap

Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2017, 11:27:14 AM
An enjoyable read as always.  I would like to see the picture/photo quality improve (lots are pixelated), and less internet images. 

Have to agree the images are a mixed bag and the pixellation/jaggies are like an itch I can't scratch... very annoying and I don't really understand why they should be like that.

I am talking from experience of designing and laying out high quality theatre/event programmes, spend half my time demanding high quality images from people and not an 80kb jpeg they have to hand.

There are ads in there with the same problem and although I really enjoy the magazine and will renew my subscription it is the images that are holding it back from being an N gauge magazine on a par with the major model magazines for all scales.

That said it is a recommended read though, just hope the images will improve to the standard that could easily be achieved.

Portpatrick

I guess its success or otherwise, including whether in time it goes monthly, depends on its content, and whether it says enough of what a good number of us want to read.  Also on whether enough advertisers consider it reaches enough of the market to make paying for their adverts worthwhile.  On current form I am fairly happy to pay c £16pa but would jib at £48 for monthly!  To date there has been a lot of historical matter - looking at the back story behind some of the major players, the prototype history enhanced by model history of locos and more broadly, rolling stock.  Interesting it certainly is,  though for me personally with a lot of historical knowledge in my own areas of interest gained over 50 years in the hobby, less likely than for some of you to be adding significant new knowledge.  And of course there is a limit to how many editions you can populate with such material unless you are happy to start to repeat it.  But for anyone wondering whether to buy it, I would say give it a go, then make up your own mind.

However I do feel there has been a growth in number and usefulness of articles on layouts and modelling matters - vinyls, couplings, converting lorries for example.  This is what will make  it for me - or not.  And for those of us who are members of the NGS  does it duplicate or add to our own journal?    And needless to say that content will only happen in sufficient quantity if we N Gauge modellers get on and write it.

Now the challenge is what can we/I do about that?

njee20

It was the pixelated images that I really didn't like. There's no excuse, it's like they've taken thumbnails from the web and stretched them. It's a shame.

Steamie+

I agree with PP on all he has said, but surely we must try and support a magazine that is trying to get our N Gauge to the masses and then maybe more in the gauge buying may bring prices down, i don't know, the more knowledgeable members among us might know better.     Happy Modelling.    :) :)

PWayman

Not sure what people want really !!    After the mainstream mags printing just about 95% (or more) endless 00 stuff and basic "How to" articles".  OK for a novice I suppose but not much use for modellers of experience, along comes a mag dedicated to N gauge and still some N Gaugers are not happy.
    Give the guys producing this venture a break. They have had initial teething production problems and are very new in real terms into the venture and I guess learning all the time.
    It is a new venture and top quality production is probably not affordable for them so lets please support them and see how the project develops.

Bret.

njee20

I don't really see anyone saying that they're not happy as such. Just because it's N gauge doesn't mean that it must be faultless, although there's certainly an argument that perhaps people should overlook 'problems' and support it such that it will grow. Whilst I applaud them for catering for a niche, I didn't find the issues I had interesting enough to justify repeat purchasing. I don't buy any print media though, or read any other magazines in any other format for that matter.

I'm not expecting fantastic quality production, but I've never seen such bad images reprinted in a magazine, and there's no reason for that. If they're taking the photos then a phone would do a better job. The issues I read it looked very much like they'd just taken low-resolution images from the web to reprint, which IMO is not really good enough.

Steamie+

Quote from: PWayman on February 17, 2017, 11:53:38 AM
Not sure what people want really !!    After the mainstream mags printing just about 95% (or more) endless 00 stuff and basic "How to" articles".  OK for a novice I suppose but not much use for modellers of experience, along comes a mag dedicated to N gauge and still some N Gaugers are not happy.
    Give the guys producing this venture a break. They have had initial teething production problems and are very new in real terms into the venture and I guess learning all the time.
    It is a new venture and top quality production is probably not affordable for them so lets please support them and see how the project develops.

Bret.

Totally agree  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

njee20

It's been going for over 2 years. I agree that levelling some criticism at it after one or two issues may be a little harsh, but they've had plenty of time to get it right.

Again I ask, should we blindly accept it because it's n gauge, and therefore must be good?

Bealman

Why not? You can always change scale and gauges.

This is an N gauge forum and you don't have to participate if you are not happy with N.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on February 18, 2017, 07:29:13 AM
It's been going for over 2 years. I agree that levelling some criticism at it after one or two issues may be a little harsh, but they've had plenty of time to get it right.

Again I ask, should we blindly accept it because it's n gauge, and therefore must be good?

Of course we shouldn't. Moans about the picture quality are perfectly justified IMO, but I do like many of the articles especially the histories of models e.g. this issues Jubs and Scots.
I guess the problem is most of us take the mag by mail order rather than be able to browse it in a shop and then decide whether to buy. We just get what we receive

silly moo

As a matter of interest how well does in compare with the N Gauge society journal? Unfortunately I can't get either publication because of our postal system.  :'(  I'd love them to go digital.

It might be a good idea to email them about the poor picture quality and how off putting it is, maybe it will wake them up a bit.

njee20

Well I've put my money where my mouth is and ordered 3 back issues as the price is very good.

One (issue 5?) appears to have a photo of Littlewood on the front cover, which massively inspired me when I was young, so excited about that. However I'm mildly concerned that the cover image is taken from the website (here), and I believe the layout was sold on about 10 years ago. So at best they've re-used photos from the web (no surprise given the low resolution of some images) and mashed it with text from the new owners, at worst it'll be taken from Richard Deas's own website. Not sure either are great!

port perran

I think the idea is great and I'd like to continue to support it.
My main concern is the content which, to me, is largely simply regurgitating factual information which is probably available elsewhere.
My interest N Gauge wise is in seeing layouts develop (especially scenic wise) and N Gauge now is limited in its coverage( I know they generally cover one layout). Now maybe thats our fault for not submitting articles. In which case, I'm as much to blame as the next modeller.
Maybe I'll reconsider and take out another year's subscription to give them more time.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

A very thoughtful comment.  :thumbsup:

I was referring to Silly Moo's post, but PP's is correct too.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Steamie+

Quote from: port perran on February 18, 2017, 09:49:07 AM
I think the idea is great and I'd like to continue to support it.
My main concern is the content which, to me, is largely simply regurgitating factual information which is probably available elsewhere.
My interest N Gauge wise is in seeing layouts develop (especially scenic wise) and N Gauge now is limited in its coverage( I know they generally cover one layout). Now maybe thats our fault for not submitting articles. In which case, I'm as much to blame as the next modeller.
Maybe I'll reconsider and take out another year's subscription to give them more time.

I agree totally PP, if we submitted some photos and articles about whatever takes our fancy then they will have more to give back to us and hopefully the quality of the photos and content will go up. Personally i like the content, they give me at least some history of the engines and tell me what to look for with the models, so i will continue to support them for has long has nessercery.    :thumbsup: :NGaugersRule:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations