Battle of Britain Day

Started by RailGooner, September 15, 2020, 08:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few" Winston Churchill

Officially recognised as being from 10 July until 31 October 1940, this day, 15 September saw the heaviest fighting and is commemorated as Battle of Britain Day. Two massive waves of Nazi attacks were repulsed by the RAF by deploying every aircraft in 11 Group. Sixty Nazi and twenty-six RAF aircraft were shot down. The action was the climax of the Battle of Britain.

honestjudge

Last week we had a few days break in Kent, we visited the Battle of Britain museum at Hawkinge.  It was the 2nd time we have been and we felt no less humbled.
The age of some of those men who died, many under 25 years old.
It brought tears to my eyes. They were so brave.
It is well worth a visit.

Chuffington

Battle of Britain class loco 'Sir Keith Park' is currently running on the Spa Valley Railway in Tunbridge Wells, Kent.
Saw it a few days ago, looked magnificent.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: honestjudge on September 15, 2020, 08:32:24 AM
Last week we had a few days break in Kent, we visited the Battle of Britain museum at Hawkinge. ...
It is well worth a visit.

Half a mile down the road from me.  I've only been once in 20 years.   

It's a nice day today and I have the doors and windows open, I shall expect warbirds overhead.  At this time of year we get them two or three times a day running the "Spitfire Flight Experience" trips etc. as they go over the museum and former airfield on their way to the clifftop memorial.  Always love the sound. Plus biplanes and other stuff from time to time.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Skyline2uk

My phone calendar just reminded me that today is BoB day and to change my Facebook profile picture to the insignia of my favourite squadron, 303.

I can't wait until I am able to watch Battle of Britain with my Boy, such a great film and important piece of history.

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

I vividly recall being at school in the Science block when Me109s, He111s, Spits and Hurricanes flew over as they were filming at Sywell Aerodrome just down the road for the film.
Just like the Napiers in a Deltic, the mere sound of a Merlin makes my hair (what there is of it) stand up and goosebumps come out

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 15, 2020, 12:45:04 PM
I vividly recall being at school in the Science block when Me109s, He111s, Spits and Hurricanes flew over as they were filming at Sywell Aerodrome just down the road for the film.
Just like the Napiers in a Deltic, the mere sound of a Merlin makes my hair (what there is of it) stand up and goosebumps come out

That's really cool, I love the fact they had enough airworthy aircraft (albeit Spanish ME109s) to do some filming.

I am not aware (or at least haven't Googled) how many airworthy German types are left now.

From what I have read, the film is actually quite a good representation of real events. The actual numbers of aircraft downed be each side will always be disputed (of course it doesn't lesson the sadness of loss of life), but the broad sequence of events, tactics, policy etc seem to tally.

Skyline2uk

Dorsetmike

Thankfully I missed most of it, my parents sent me to stay with an aunt and uncle in Oxford for 3 months; the school in Oxford was a bit behind my school in Poole, I missed the start of "joined up writing" which I've always blamed for my illegible script!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 15, 2020, 01:25:39 PM
Thankfully I missed most of it, my parents sent me to stay with an aunt and uncle in Oxford for 3 months; the school in Oxford was a bit behind my school in Poole, I missed the start of "joined up writing" which I've always blamed for my illegible script!

Will have to look at a map to see if you moved into 12 group territory when you went to Oxford  :hmmm:

Skyline2uk

chrism

Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 15, 2020, 01:12:28 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on September 15, 2020, 12:45:04 PM

I am not aware (or at least haven't Googled) how many airworthy German types are left now.

According to Wikipedia, there are two Bf109s airworthy in the US and one in the UK.
Lots of the Spanish ones as well, but they don't really count do they  ;)

guest311

IIRC RAF Debden was used as well in the film, at that time the RAFP depot.

RailGooner

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few" Winston Churchill

Officially recognised as being from 10 July until 31 October 1940, this day, 15 September saw the heaviest fighting and is commemorated annually as Battle of Britain Day. Two massive waves of Nazi attacks were repulsed by the RAF by deploying every aircraft in 11 Group. Sixty Nazi and twenty-six RAF aircraft were shot down. The action was the climax of the Battle of Britain.

Skyline2uk

In any normal year I would be marking the occasion with a beer and a viewing of "The Battle of Britain".

However, seeing as my TV, DVD and player are all in storage, this year I shall just say I am marking the occasion with a beer and a toast to "The Few".

Skyline2uk

daffy

With the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) just 15 minutes away from me I may drop over later to see if anything it happening with the Flight. The Lancaster returned from Biggin Hill last Saturday after a 'Minor Plus' service (far more involved and detailed than it sounds) so 'she' may be up and about with her pilots getting some familiarity with her again.

But on the 25th it's the Annual BBMF Members Day and I'm lucky enough to have a ticket for myself and my stepson, and we will be taking his 5 year old son along to see, weather and serviceability allowing, some fine flying from all the Flight's WWII aircraft: the Lancaster, Spitfires and Hurricanes.

Lest we forget.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

ntpntpntp

Surprisingly not heard any merlins over Hawkinge yet today.  It's a bit cloudy though.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations