Another Spam Warning

Started by dannyboy, September 14, 2020, 01:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I have just received an email advising me of a Fixed Penalty Charge I have incurred.

The notice, from
HM Courts & Tribunals Service office-hm-courts@ (I have not quoted the full address then nobody can accidentally click on it, but Chicago is mentioned),
states that I incurred the charge at the following location - 'United Kingdom'  ??? and does not give a date of my alleged transgression. Not precise enough for me - oh, I don't live in the United Kingdom anyway.  :no:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

tutenkhamunsleeping

I had one of those this morning. As I've not driven for years I wasn't unduly worried ;)

railsquid

Hmm, the joke auto-moderation module recently added to the forum software might be malfunctioning  :hmmm:

emjaybee

Quote from: railsquid on September 14, 2020, 03:11:16 PM
Hmm, the joke auto-moderation module recently added to the forum software might be malfunctioning  :hmmm:

We're well aware it's not working or we wouldn't be blighted by the 'Groaners' thread.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

ntpntpntp

That scam is doing the rounds, a few bods have reported in on local Facebook groups too. Profit Studio Chicago (a fitness gym by the look of it) has obviously had its email hacked or spoofed.  No touchy, just delete!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

DarrwestLU6

Hi everyone
I had one today that was an automated call to my office mobile. It said I have a tax case against me and if I don't press 1 right away they'd automatically issue a summons against me to collect the tax. I know this is crazy, HMRC never ring people! So I hung up, but I thought it might scare a few people into pressing the button and then getting into conversation.

I got my own back by reporting the number her: https://www.gov.uk/report-suspicious-emails-websites-phishing/report-hmrc-phishing-emails-texts-and-phone-call-scams and then blocked it.
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Delboy

Quote from: DarrwestLU6 on September 14, 2020, 09:46:05 PM
Hi everyone
I had one today that was an automated call to my office mobile. It said I have a tax case against me and if I don't press 1 right away they'd automatically issue a summons against me to collect the tax. I know this is crazy, HMRC never ring people! So I hung up, but I thought it might scare a few people into pressing the button and then getting into conversation.

I got my own back by reporting the number her: https://www.gov.uk/report-suspicious-emails-websites-phishing/report-hmrc-phishing-emails-texts-and-phone-call-scams and then blocked it.

I had one similar to this relating to HMRC saying I had a fraud case pending against me. The irony.... :laugh: I always feel it is an attempt to get you to press 1 as advised and find yourself connected to a premium service line costing a fortune.
BTW, I also block the numbers but have actually been informed that they constantly use different numbers to spam you, making a block a waste of time.
Don't know how they get away with using numerous numbers but they obviously do.
Scum of the earth that need eradicating.  :veryangry:
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

themadhippy

QuoteDon't know how they get away with using numerous numbers but they obviously do.
They dont,the displayed number is spoofed so it can display whatever the scammer wants.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

chrism

Quote from: themadhippy on September 15, 2020, 02:39:20 PM
QuoteDon't know how they get away with using numerous numbers but they obviously do.
They dont,the displayed number is spoofed so it can display whatever the scammer wants.

Nine times out of ten they aren't even in the UK.

Bob Tidbury

The call I had last Friday said Hello we are just ringing to tell you that there has been a transaction on your account ,There has been a payment of £600 to an account in a foriegn country .Press 1 for more information .
They didnt say what country .
They didnt say what bank .
They didnt ask for a particular person .
I dont have my own account and niether my wife or I have an online account or do any tranctions over the phone.So I just put the phone down ,they rang back again after 10 minutes with the same message ,so again I put the phone down .
Bob Tidbury

Newportnobby

I have caller ID so if the number is not in my phone (in which case it will show the name) then I just don't answer it.
I work on the basis if it's genuine they'll leave a message I can pick up 5 minutes later.

guest311

had a call the other day from a supposedly local number, but when I answered which went silent and cut off.

checked on who-called and was listed.

couple of hours later, it called again.....

"Police cyber crimes unit, how may I help you ?"

"Helo ?"

click - brrrr

they never rang back for some reason  >:D

ntpntpntp

There's a lot of local number spoofing going on these days, but as NPN says we don't answer anything unrecognised.  if it's genuine they can leave a message.

For unrecognised national numbers etc. I usually do a reverse look-up on google after it's rung off, and they pretty much all turn out to be spam numbers according to sites like whocalledme     
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 15, 2020, 03:42:16 PM
I have caller ID so if the number is not in my phone (in which case it will show the name) then I just don't answer it.
I work on the basis if it's genuine they'll leave a message I can pick up 5 minutes later.

don't use voicemail / ansaphone, got fed up paying for calls to people who'd phoned and left a message, then turned out to be sales calls.

so ...

ring ring, recognise number, answer.
don't recognise number, ignore then check on 'who-called'
occasionally get caught out, with a local number which could be one of SWMBO mates, but if no one replies when I answer, then click - brrr.

if they phone again, and have shown as a scam number, and I have the time I'll answer and have fun, if I'm busy, I ignore it.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations