2020 Tour de France

Started by Newportnobby, August 12, 2020, 06:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Well - what the heck's going to happen? I'm quite sure Froome would love to win again if only to show his new team they've backed a winner but will Ineos allow him to and would the rest back him up? Thomas would love to win it, as would Bernal but will Froome then accept being a support rider. Froome and Thomas haven't exactly set the world afire yet.
Intriguing :hmmm:

RailGooner

I reckon Bernal will be captain, with Thomas as lieutenant. That leaves Froome carrying the water bottles, if he goes - and that's a big if.

Philip.

On current form there's no way Froome is going to Le Tour. I fear Thomas's win was a one off so that leaves Bernal as the main man

njee20

Have to agree with Philip's appraisal, Froome is a shadow of the rider he once was, I can't see him ever contesting a grand tour again really, which is a shame.

Newportnobby

Froome over 5 minutes down at the Criterium du Dauphiné.
Is this the end of an illustrious career? :(

red_death

Froome has an absolute iron will, but he's still recovering from last year's horrific crash.  Who knows if he will ever fully recover and of course time isn't on his side. If he makes a full recovery then I wouldn't bet against him being able to compete in the future but he would need a few decent team mates to challenge Ineos.

The rumour is that Thomas is nailed on as one of the Ineos leaders and that it is a straight choice between Bernal and Froome - unfortunately for Froome at the moment there is only one outcome!

Southerngooner

I agree that Bernal is likely to be number one at Ineos, with Thomas doing his usual superb supporting role and being there in case plans change. I can't see Froome getting in the top three.

I'm interested to see how it all works this year with the virus around. There was a plan to not have crowds, wasn't there? One of the finishes is near us but I'm not sure I'd go along at the moment. Mind you this is our last year here so never say never!
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

gavin_t

I cant see Froome contesting anything. Big injury takes time to heal and then even longer to get back to peak condition.

Would love to see Thomas picked as the leader to try and contest another win but I think they will probably go with Bernal with Thomas as a very strong second man.

njee20

Certainly in the early days they were talking about holding it in July, but with no crowds, but obviously that's totally impossible to enforce. No idea what's going to happen in September though!

I'd love to see Froome get back to full strength, if nothing else it's always a real shame to lose such a talent in that way. Beloki never really recovered from similar injuries after his 2003 crash, and he was a fair bit younger than Froome. There's no shortage of determination in Froome. I wonder if moving team is a good thing - on the one hand it's a new opportunity and incentive to get fit, but part of me thinks he's moving away from the richest team in the sport, and if it doesn't work out at Israel Start-Up Nation are they going to stick with him? Feels a bit of a 'one last chance' move.

Anyway, I like both Bernal and Thomas, happy to see either of them win, sure it's going to be a strange race in so many ways!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Southerngooner on August 13, 2020, 08:05:46 AM
There was a plan to not have crowds, wasn't there?

Maybe possible at start/finish/crucial points like tops of climbs etc but otherwise impossible to enforce. More to the point can the public keep their pets in as there was a Dobermann running loose in the first stage of the Criterium. That could have caused carnage ::) >:(

NScaleNotes

Pinot, Pinot, Pinot...
It'd be great to see a French winner and at least in my opinion he's the down-to-Earth, reserved, likeable every-man that are prolific in two wheeled sports.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to doubt it'll go ahead but fingers most definitely crossed as I love the Tour.  :claphappy:

Newportnobby

Chris Froome now 14 minutes down in the Criterium but as he's a confirmed domestique to Egon Bernal that's not really surprising. His interview after yesterday's stage was actually encouraging but I don't think he'll be going for the win at the TdF

Philip.

Bernal out of the Dauphiné with a bad back  :hmmm:

Newportnobby

Sad news. :(
Will/can anyone step up to the plate for Ineos? I don't think Thomas has got it in him and Froome's not fit yet

Philip.

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 15, 2020, 04:06:08 PM
Sad news. :(
Will/can anyone step up to the plate for Ineos? I don't think Thomas has got it in him and Froome's not fit yet

I'll have a go, I'll have to get a new inner tube and I'm not sure about the lycra, but 3 weeks in France, I'm game  :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations