replacing pizza cutter wheelsets

Started by guest311, December 15, 2011, 12:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

after several recent purchases from members on this forum, I have now got a number of old Poole built locos with the shiny silver pizza cutter wheels.

now I think it's time to bite the bullet and replace them with new wheel sets, but how much of a job is it ?

classes involved are 25, 37, 47, 56, 50 and an HST set of powered and dummy power cars.

while I'm replacing the wheel sets, do I need to replace, or check, any other parts of the drive train ?

thanks in advance for any help.

cheers

alan

Dr Al

It's generally a simple task. Simply remove the bogie, unclip the bogie frame (take care that the coupling spring and coupler don't do flying). Unclip the wheelset and clip in the replacement.  Check the bogie is as free as it was before (sometimes they can be tighter with the new wheels presumably due to different tolerances).

The 56 should be fitted with the smaller diameter wheelsets, and the HST dummy really needs gearless wheels, but you can't buy these so the only option is to put geared ones in.

Don't discard the old wheels also - if you don't want them let me know - spares without split gears are handy!!!

Cheers,
Alan

Quote from: class37025 on December 15, 2011, 12:36:37 PM
after several recent purchases from members on this forum, I have now got a number of old Poole built locos with the shiny silver pizza cutter wheels.

now I think it's time to bite the bullet and replace them with new wheel sets, but how much of a job is it ?

classes involved are 25, 37, 47, 56, 50 and an HST set of powered and dummy power cars.

while I'm replacing the wheel sets, do I need to replace, or check, any other parts of the drive train ?

thanks in advance for any help.

cheers

alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Calnefoxile

Yep totally agree with Dr.Al's instructions. One way I go about dismantling bogies so that I don't lose the Spring & Coupler is to dismantle ina clear plastic bag, then if it does 'ping' out it'll stay inside the bag  ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

guest311

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations