Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus, JBQFC and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

railsquid

Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 06, 2021, 11:09:13 AM
Quote from: class37025 on November 06, 2021, 09:50:23 AM
makes me glad I'm still a luddite.

I still use a flip phone, if it's good enouth for Jethro, it's good enough for me.

brrr, brrr 'hello'

tap actual keys  brr brr

simples, like me.
Sorry, a real luddite (like myself) does not have any form of "mobile" phone, pad, pod nor tablet: I've managed without one for 87 years so see no reason to start now.

I bet if you go back to the mid 1840s you'd find people muttering about having managed without a working postal service all their life and not having any intention of starting with those new-fangled Penny Blacks... :D

If it's any consolation, I managed without a mobile phone until 2008 when I came to Japan, and only got my first smartphone in 2014 for unavoidable work reasons. I could happily go back to flip-phones as long as I can keep the mobile internet connection for my laptop. Don't have a landline so some form of mobile connection is essential (we did consider getting one as a fall-back in case of emergencies, but as the POTS is no more and "landlines" are VOIP it seemed a bit pointless).

guest311

Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 06, 2021, 11:09:13 AM
Quote from: class37025 on November 06, 2021, 09:50:23 AM
makes me glad I'm still a luddite.

I still use a flip phone, if it's good enouth for Jethro, it's good enough for me.

brrr, brrr 'hello'

tap actual keys  brr brr

simples, like me.
Sorry, a real luddite (like myself) does not have any form of "mobile" phone, pad, pod nor tablet: I've managed without one for 87 years so see no reason to start now.

do you still carry two two pence pieces in your pocket in case you need to use a phone box, always assuming you could find one  :D

stevewalker

A few years ago, I took my sons to Crich Tram Museum. We had to phone home, just so we could say that we were using the only Button A/Button B payphone still connected to the telephone system. I'm pretty sure that it had been upgraded to larger denomination coins though.

railsquid

I still carry around some Japanese telephone cards in case of emergency...

Meanwhile, let me talk about the exciting world of USB connectors and the evolving design thereof. Or maybe not, it would be another long rant.  :censored:

Bealman

Editorial in latest Silicon Chip mag says they're being standardised. I'll check details when I get home.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Oh gawd, not another standard... "USB-C" seems to be the current thing, which means I now need 3 (three) different sets of cables to charge my various devices.

Obligatory XKCD:

Putting the positive hat on, I suppose it's better than the proprietary wall wart chaos of the early 2000s...

Bealman

Ok, I'm home now. Here's the jist of what it says....

The new standard will be USB-C. this will also support the upcoming USB4. it is easier to connect and remove. It is sturdier. It has higher power delivery capability. It has higher data transfer rates. Cables will be symmetrical with the same connectors at each end.

Overall the editor thinks it's a fantastic idea.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

OK, those USB-C connectors have been around a couple of years, so hopefully that means the growing collection thereof will not end up obsolete, until it does.

Slight plus side of having a now surplus Android device - I can use it to have another crack at getting the Wifi-based Tomix camera car system working  :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Quote from: railsquid on November 07, 2021, 07:06:26 AM
Putting the positive hat on, I suppose it's better than the proprietary wall wart chaos of the early 2000s...

Aw, c'mon. Where would we have been without our wall posters? Staring at someone's idea of great wallpaper, I s'pose :thumbsdown:

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 07, 2021, 09:58:09 AM
Quote from: railsquid on November 07, 2021, 07:06:26 AM

Aw, c'mon. Where would we have been without our wall posters? Staring at someone's idea of great wallpaper, I s'pose :thumbsdown:

Can't work out if you misread, or if you're on such a tangent that I don't get it.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

:oopssign:
My 'early morning eyes' read Squiddy's post as 'wall chart chaos' :-[
Maybe I should only post in the afternoons :sorrysign:

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 07, 2021, 10:28:24 AM
:oopssign:
My 'early morning eyes' read Squiddy's post as 'wall chart chaos' :-[
Maybe I should only post in the afternoons :sorrysign:

Or maybe put on one's pince-nez?
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

TrevL

Just had the devastating news that Bilbo (my avatar) has cancer in the mouth.  He's not in any pain and is eating without issue, but the time is not far away when all that will change.  Not looking forward to this at all.

Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

dannyboy

So sorry to hear that Trev. It is always, at the very least, upsetting to know that our pets are 'not right'. Not sure what else to say.  :'(
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

100% agree with @dannyboy,
I've always found it so difficult to make the decision, you want to spend more time with your pet, but you also know you have to consider if he is in pain.

made that decision too many times over the years, always said we'd never have another dog cause we didn't want to go through that again,
but surprise
not long after another hairy beast would join our family to make it complete once again.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations