Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madann01 and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Newportnobby

Quote from: emjaybee on September 06, 2021, 03:56:05 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on September 06, 2021, 10:09:38 AM
Quote from: Flange Squeal on September 05, 2021, 10:47:39 PM
I don't understand why you didn't order the whole lot from RoS and put the out of stock items on back order.

Because I need the points now, not when Peco decide to pull their finger out :)

It's the ol' "Six P's" rhyme...

...Poor Planning Prevents Proper Point Purchasing.

:D

That doesn't rhyme at all, and the only 6Ps I'm aware of are Jubilees, Clans and rebuilt Patriots :P

dannyboy

Dentists

Rather than hijack the 'Hillsden' thread, I decided I would start a separate thread.  I thought, following yesterdays comments from Mike and Martin, ( @Nbodger and @port perran ), I would tell you about my visit to the Dentist. I only have one molar left, which is one of my lower set of teeth, so it gets a lot of use. About twelve months ago, I visited the Dentist as it was giving me 'a bit of bovver'. The Dentist said it needed to come out, but as it was my only molar, she would try and save it and filled it. I went to the Dentist a month ago and the Dentist said, sorry, but the molar has to come out, so an appointment was made for earlier this week. A couple of my front teeth on the lower set, (I have a plate for my upper set), were loose and one of them in particular was very loose and I kept catching it on the upper plate, so chewing started to get a bit awkward, (not to say painful). When I got to the Dentist and told her about the loose teeth, she decided that one had to come out there and then, but she would delay pulling the molar for a month. She has decided that a couple more of my lower set have to come out, so I have to have a partial plate for the lower set, which will be anchored to the couple of remaining teeth and the first impression was made. Once that was all done, the Dentist told me that the bill will be in the region of €700  :o. As you are probably aware, there is no National Health Service in Ireland, but I was told that I could pay a bit on each of my next three or four visits - thanks! ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Nbodger

David @dannyboy

Thank you for your post, you have cheered me up no end, even the pains gone, at least I didn't have to shell out that much, however it is a private dentist I go to.

My problems go back to when I was 17 to 24 when I avoided the dentist like the plague after a very bad experience and feeling quite ill afterwards.

However, just after Mrs N and I got married, she made me go to her dentist, which I had to go to for quite a few weeks sorting my self inflicted problems out, these early problems are now really coming home to roost, but the first teeth I have lost in forty plus years.

Papyrus

Quote from: dannyboy on September 09, 2021, 11:22:24 AM
As you are probably aware, there is no National Health Service in Ireland, but I was told that I could pay a bit on each of my next three or four visits - thanks! ;)

NHS dentistry in the UK is barely worthy of the name either. NHS dentists are few and far between (I felt like saying they are like hen's teeth but thought better of it...) and mine has just told me he is going private. So I either have the choice of stumping up more money when I need treatment or paying for a 'care plan' which seems to cost more than what you get back. I'll probably just end up going less often and hoping for the best. Ho hum.

Cheers,

Chris

Bob G

@Nbodger @Newportnobby @emjaybee @dannyboy Don't get me started on teeth  :o

Most of my molars have had root canal treatment (sometimes on repeat occasions). This was because of acid reflux not being treated properly by NHS. Solved mainly by having my gall bladder out privately 30 years later.

My two front teeth are crowns due to a bicycling incident following 15 vodka and limes, and I really did sing "All I want for Christmas..."
Those crowns have lasted me 40 years - I had a great NHS dentist in Exeter called Mr Hacker (honest). He took his time to get them right and get the colour match to the right level of nicotine staining at the time.
One started playing up during lockdown. Doctors wouldn't see me so it went undiagnosed (try inhaling Vick to clear your sinuses) and these might (one day) need two implants ($$ouch$$).

That takes me back to the initial incident. I was found unconscious in a hedge on university grounds, picked up in a police car and taken to hospital.
I had concussion from hitting my teeth and face on a lamppost and I was sick in the back of the police car on the way to hospital. Kept in hospital for 2 days to sober up, recover from concussion, and get my head stitched up (w/out anesthetic btw).   

Got a letter from Devon and Cornwall Police a few weeks later that if I had made it to the public highway I would have been charged DIC pushbike. To any police out there, I am sorry I was ill in the cop car, but I am even sorrier that I didn't keep the letter.

The moral of the tale is I learned a salutary lesson that I was not immortal (or above the law). So these days I don't live life quite so hard and fast as I did in my 20s.
I sold the bike a few years ago on EBay for restoration.

Bob

dannyboy

Quote from: Nbodger on September 09, 2021, 11:48:04 AM
Thank you for your post, you have cheered me up no end, even the pains gone,

Glad I have my uses.  :D (That 'smiley' seems rather appropriate at the moment!).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

emjaybee

Quote from: Bob G on September 09, 2021, 12:13:03 PM
@Nbodger @Newportnobby @emjaybee @dannyboy Don't get me started on teeth  :o

Most of my molars have had root canal treatment (sometimes on repeat occasions). This was because of acid reflux not being treated properly by NHS. Solved mainly by having my gall bladder out privately 30 years later.

My two front teeth are crowns due to a bicycling incident following 15 vodka and limes, and I really did sing "All I want for Christmas..."
Those crowns have lasted me 40 years - I had a great NHS dentist in Exeter called Mr Hacker (honest). He took his time to get them right and get the colour match to the right level of nicotine staining at the time.
One started playing up during lockdown. Doctors wouldn't see me so it went undiagnosed (try inhaling Vick to clear your sinuses) and these might (one day) need two implants ($$ouch$$).

That takes me back to the initial incident. I was found unconscious in a hedge on university grounds, picked up in a police car and taken to hospital.
I had concussion from hitting my teeth and face on a lamppost and I was sick in the back of the police car on the way to hospital. Kept in hospital for 2 days to sober up, recover from concussion, and get my head stitched up (w/out anesthetic btw).   

Got a letter from Devon and Cornwall Police a few weeks later that if I had made it to the public highway I would have been charged DIC pushbike. To any police out there, I am sorry I was ill in the cop car, but I am even sorrier that I didn't keep the letter.

The moral of the tale is I learned a salutary lesson that I was not immortal (or above the law). So these days I don't live life quite so hard and fast as I did in my 20s.
I sold the bike a few years ago on EBay for restoration.

Bob

Woah!

Don't drag me into your OAP gummy worlds, my teeth are doing just fine!
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

guest311

while I was not aware of it at the time, I was very lucky when I was in Northern Ireland.

I was covering a guardroom evening shift for one of the station guys, who was using the time to get an extra day to travel to the mainland for leave, when there was a 'disturbance' in the NAAFI.
we responded, and not knowing better, I was the first through the door .....
and the first on the floor  :'(

for some reason, the penguins and matelots who were having a ruck both turned on us snowdrops as soon as we went in.

anyway, a night in sick quarters, and a couple of days later I was on the ferry to go to RAF Hospital Cosford. where I had dental surgery and partial dentures. as I was in a surgical ward, we all received a bottle of stout each evening  :beers:

some years later, with further dental problems, I was admitted to RAF Hospital Wroughton where my remaining teeth were removed and I received full dentures.

these lasted me until about ten years ago, when SWMBO brought me a stick of rock back from a holiday with the daughter and grandsons, and I broke a front tooth, after about 45 years of use.

managed to get a new set made, but most definitely not up to the standard of those old RAF ones.

since demob, only once come into contact with a so called NHS dentist, when I dropped SWMBO off one time for an appointment.

receptionist 'you aren't registered with us'
me 'er, no'
receptionist 'would you like me to register you and book you in for a dental check?'
me 'er, ok. I'm a bit busy over the next week or so but if I leave them with you on tuesday could I collect them thursday ?'
receptionist 'pardon'
I removed my dentures and offered them to her.

for some reason she declined my kind offer, and I've never been asked again to register.
not sure why  :D

joe cassidy

This is a health warning for all young people in the Midlands and the North of England.

DON'T EAT PORK SCRATCHINGS !

If you do you'll have no molars left by the time you're 60.

Dr Joe

Nbodger

Quote from: joe cassidy on September 09, 2021, 01:06:48 PM
This is a health warning for all young people in the Midlands and the North of England.

DON'T EAT PORK SCRATCHINGS !

If you do you'll have no molars left by the time you're 60.

Dr Joe

Hey Dr Joe,

I once broke a tooth eating a salad prepared by my mother in law   :doh:

joe cassidy

Are/were you on good terms with her ?

Could've been deliberate.

Another thing to be wary of is paella - broken bits of crab shell.

Newportnobby

I don't know why @Bob G dragged me into his tale of debauchery but on the subject of dentists:-

When I lived in Northampton I had a (not unattractive) female dentist who informed me a tooth had to come out. She ended up kneeling on my chest (many would have paid for this experience) whilst just cracking bits of the tooth off with a pair of pliers until she could final dig it out :o The good old NHS days.
When I had my triple by pass op they had to resuscitate me somewhat urgently evidently, but it was only when I got out I found they had smashed 4 of my top front teeth doing so. I could only get in at a private dentist when I moved to Lancashire so that was a £2000 bill for crowns.
Better than the alternative, though, as I probably wouldn't have had need for teeth :uneasy:

@joe cassidy
I used to frequent now and then what was claimed to be the oldest pub in England which was 'The Falkland Arms' in Great Tew (Cotswolds) and they used to have a cat that ate pork scratchings. It was a wonder to observe!!

Bob G

Quote from: joe cassidy on September 09, 2021, 01:13:17 PM
Another thing to be wary of is paella.

I know. The Spanish get very touchy how you pronounce it. It is definitely not PIE-ELLA but PIE-AY-A (and not with a northern accent either)  :P

TrevL

Quote from: Nbodger on September 09, 2021, 01:09:45 PM
I once broke a tooth eating a salad prepared by my mother in law   :doh:

I bet she put nuts in it (M6, 2BA, ¼Whitworth.) :smiley-laughing:
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

port perran

My very first dentist when I was a little boy was called, and I kid you not, Mr Howley!
I was terrified of him and his breath always smelled of stale whisky.

I now have a private dentist who is, by far, the best one I have ever had.

Cheers
Martin
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations