Bluetooth controlled trains

Started by bluedepot, October 28, 2017, 04:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

I notice bachmann america produce some bluetooth controlled ho scale trains now

what do people think?  is this the future of model train control?

I can see advantages if it had the sound speaker in the actual loco, was compatible with dc and dcc, and had a chargeable battery that meant it could run on dirty track or on dead sections...

I don't use my phone to control my trains at minute as I'm not that into tech but the actual sending control signals to the trains by bluetooth and not the rails seems a sensible technology use.

Tim

G_N_E_R

Hello Tim,
I'm not sure how Bluetooth trains would augment controllers like the Z21. Moreover, there must be reasons we still power our track instead of having battery powered models? I wouldn't want to charge my locos for starters!
Seems like an interesting concept though.
All the Best
Oswald

kirky

Is Bluetooth not used in the same we use a wireless protocol? From handset (iPhone) to the router wirelessly which is plugged in to the controller which powers the track with conventional dcc. Surely all a Bluetooth system does is do away with the router? I may be wrong but I would have thought having each train separately blue toothed would be very complex and still require a way to power the loco.
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

zwilnik

The idea of Bluetooth controlled trains is that you control the loco directly via bluetooth rather than via DCC/DC. So instead of controlling via the track, it's direct from whichever Bluetooth controller you're using, wirelessly to the loco (or accessory etc.). The upside is that feasibly you could run trains with onboard battery power (or more likely a combination where they charge as they run over powered rails) and they'd be truly independent of the track wiring, so turning loops etc. wouldn't be an issue.

The other upside as I see it is using a proper industry (although not the model rail industry) electronics standard for components etc. which could make it a lot cheaper than DCC in the long run. There's also some very powerful bluetooth chips starting to arrive.

The downside though is most Bluetooth controllers are fairly limited in channels, so to control the number of locos, accessories etc. on a layout would need something a bit different or expanded from it. That or yet another 'spare' bandwidth radio system (with the risks of interference from fridges etc.) controlling the layout and bluetooth control to that. In which case, you may as well have DCC with all its faults.

The probability is that this particular system won't be much more than a fun one for running 1-3 locos at a time and leaving all the accessories using 'old' control systems. The potential for the idea is probably when WiFi control becomes practical as you can use a single channel and have as many devices chatting away on it as you want.

themadhippy

QuoteThe downside though is most Bluetooth controllers are fairly limited in channels, so to control the number of locos, accessories etc. on a layout would need something a bit different or expanded from it.
you only need 1 channel to transmit  the data,but like dcc each receiver has a diffrent address.Bit like your postman,you only have one delivering messages to diffrent adresses not 1 postman for every letter box
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

zwilnik

Quote from: themadhippy on October 28, 2017, 07:50:32 PM
QuoteThe downside though is most Bluetooth controllers are fairly limited in channels, so to control the number of locos, accessories etc. on a layout would need something a bit different or expanded from it.
you only need 1 channel to transmit  the data,but like dcc each receiver has a diffrent address.Bit like your postman,you only have one delivering messages to diffrent adresses not 1 postman for every letter box
Yes, but most bluetooth controllers can only pair with a limited (like 3 or 4) number of devices at a time as it assigns each its own channel. Feasibly it can work like WiFi with everything on the same channel but not sure if that's within the Bluetooth spec (and would require different BT controller chips).

bluedepot

Bachmann ez app is what they market it as and it controls the bluetooth loco...

it seems like they are going to invest in this technology anyway. the video I watched had sound coming from the guys phone not the loco though which is daft imo.

Not relying on a dcc signal or power to go through the track would be very good leap forward for model trains I think. If bluetooth control worked and they had a chargeable battery taking power from the track and storing it for use on dead or dirty sections it would be good. you could even just have a specific charging track to top up the battery and then run on a non powered track layout.

anyway the actual bluetooth technology isn't something I understand fully. look up ez app anyway if you want to see what bachmann have brought out.

Tim

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations