Storm Dennis A380 Landing!

Started by Mr Sprue, February 16, 2020, 09:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

I'll wager the runway was not the only place to get skid marks after that landing!  :goggleeyes: :D

https://www.facebook.com/speedbirdtv/videos/151031975886703/

Skyline2uk

When big birds like that struggle, you know the approach is on the verge of being un-usable.

Actually very stable right up until the moment before touchdown when he starts to float. To me looked like he floated so long he was marginal on calling it and going around.

Still, managed to sink ok whilst resisting the urge to dip the nose, main wheels down and stand on the rudder before nose wheel and reverse thrust.

Good job.

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

All those whingeing about having their flights cancelled should be forced to watch that.
Hats off to the skill of all pilots :admiration:

Philip.

The plane actually looked as though it was hovering  :o :o incredible skill from the pilots.

Dorsetmike

Quote from: Mr Sprue on February 16, 2020, 09:12:18 AM
I'll wager the runway was not the only place to get skid marks after that landing!  :goggleeyes: :D

Yep, they do say adrenaline's brown
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Bealman

Had a similar experience in New Zealand a few years ago, except it was taking off, rather than landing.

Got into the air sideways off the runway.

Always pays to carry the brown trousers!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

scottmitchell74

Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Skyline2uk on February 16, 2020, 09:38:52 AM
When big birds like that struggle, you know the approach is on the verge of being un-usable.

Actually very stable right up until the moment before touchdown when he starts to float. To me looked like he floated so long he was marginal on calling it and going around.

Still, managed to sink ok whilst resisting the urge to dip the nose, main wheels down and stand on the rudder before nose wheel and reverse thrust.

Good job.

Skyline2uk

I think things could have maybe gone a bit tits up had the aircraft ballooned!  Awesome display of side slip in the final approach though.

Skyline2uk

Well quite.

The float seems to last a few seconds but didn't see him gain any altitude. I always wince for tyre life when I see these, big old puffs of smoke even on a sodden runway.

Skyline2uk

Mr Sprue

Last time I spoke to Dan (Deserthound) he was telling me those birds have five pilots on long haul, I wonder which of them drew the shortest two straws to land that 600 ton beast!  :)

Lawrence

A lot of new rubber needed after that landing, well scrubbed those mains. It was all going so well until the last 100ft, when the pilot took over from the computer  ;)
Seriously though chaps, that is exactly the sort of thing they spend hours in the simulators for, I have seen experienced front line fighter crews coming out of a 45 min sim slot sweating and totally drained such is the level of training.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: class37025 on February 16, 2020, 08:22:03 PM
Quote from: scottmitchell74 on February 16, 2020, 12:28:38 PM
The pilot is a stud!

or maybe a STUDDESS  >:D

If it was an Emeriates A380 then quite possible it could have been Dan! :admiration:

chrism

Not a plane this time, but another hairy arrival expertly executed;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-51522580

These guys also know what they are doing. I was on one once coming back from Harris to Skye and he came steaming into Uig Bay at quite a rate of knots, to the extent that I was starting to wonder when he was going to slow down. Just as we drew level with the pier he gave it a lot of "left hand down a bit" and round the ship slewed and slowed before the stern drifted neatly in against the linkspan with no further adjustment required.
I think he might have docked there once or twice before  ;)

scottmitchell74

No possible way I get on that ferry, even with a female pilot/captain!  :D
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations