The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Bad Raven on October 11, 2012, 09:58:33 PM
Do we not DO business any more in this country??    :veryangry: :veryangry:

Oh does that sound familiar to me as someone running a small business.

It's also incredibly hard to find someone wanting to do something even the slightest bit different. Even if they've got the equipment and they'd profit nicely on it too. I've ended up getting a couple of things done in other countries simply because the answer I get then is usually more constructive by half.

Some of them also just try it on, they want to see whether you'll come back and chase them or not so they know what price to quote you.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Matthew-peter

Ok so my layout isnt up and running and I dont have much stock. This doesnt bother me.

However, my cousin, who has a roundy round layout in the loft is up there with his friends, doing what they do best, breaking brilliant 00 scale models, he spends hundreds of pounds on these things and they treat them like trash, all i can hear is grinding of gears because they find it fun to hold them in place and crash them into each other. I mean these are the newest of the new, the highly detailed stuff not the old lima stuff.  :thumbsdown: no matter how much I try to get them to look after them it just doesnt work  :veryangry:

Rant over  :-[, Im going to go and wait for my gear to arrive so i can work on the layout. (I know its sunday, Ill be waiting for a while)
OK who took my cake?

Skyline2uk

Housewarming Party over.

Good time had by all.

Just discovered my Lydle End War Memorial (quite hard to find) has lost an arm from its cross.

Annoyed

:veryangry:

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Skyline2uk on October 14, 2012, 05:26:48 PM
Housewarming Party over.

Good time had by all.

Just discovered my Lydle End War Memorial (quite hard to find) has lost an arm from its cross.

Annoyed

:veryangry:

The resin models seem to glue very well with wood glue. I knocked the chimney off my old pumping house building and with a bit of titebond it's now happy again. Fortunately it was a clean break so you can't even see the join.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Skyline2uk

I would not be so worried, as Etched says, but there is no sign of the missing piece  ???

AndyGif

its those damn n gauge vandals that will have wrecked the war memorial.
check the nearest stretch of track, they are bound to have put it on the line hoping to derail something....

bigbear

Nothing annoys me more than some person ringing me up in the middle of something important - model railway time, for instance! - to ask if I want to make a claim for some ficticious accident I may have had several years ago, or if I've been wrongly sold insurance or if I'd like to talk to them about the cost of pies in Austria, or something... If I did want to talk to them, I would have joined a forum!

My son has the best solution: He says, "Oh, you want my Dad, I'll get him for you", then goes back to whatever he was doing, leaving the phone off the hook... I often wonder how long the caller might hang on for!

kiwi1941

Quote from: bigbear on October 15, 2012, 12:17:30 AM
My son has the best solution: He says, "Oh, you want my Dad, I'll get him for you", then goes back to whatever he was doing, leaving the phone off the hook... I often wonder how long the caller might hang on for!

I reply "Fine - my consultancy fees are $200 per hour. Please give me your GST number [or VAT number for UK readers] for the invoice." The silence and confusion is palpable!! Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Newportnobby

I usually take the callers full name and company name and then say my solicitor will be in touch regarding invasion of privacy. It's very effective :thumbsup:

longbridge

We got a silent phone number about 8 years ago so we don't have to put up with those annoying twits  :veryangry:

We also have two stickers on the door asking sales people not to knock or they will be reported to the State Authorities, nothing so far but who knows  :)
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: bigbear on October 15, 2012, 12:17:30 AM

The one in the street who pestered me a while back didn't look too happy when my reply to "have you had an accident" was "no but would you like one ?"  :D

Agrippa

I once answered the phone and some pest flogging loft insulation
or somesuch guff asked for me by name, I replied he doesn't exist
this is a police safe house and you've blown a covert operation costing
thousands, you'll be hearing from us ... there was a deathly silence
at the other end and a sheepish apology. Got the idea from
the Hitchcock movie "North by Northwest".

Another time when TalkTalk was my ISP I was constantly
getting calls from Minnie Mouse voiced women in the far east
trying to sell me services I didn't want. (No not those!)

Once I answered and a voice said "Harro can I speak to Mr Arran"

I said " He's not here "

She asks "Where he ?"

I said "He's trekking in Nepal"

She says "This no trekking season !"

I said " But he doesn't know that!"
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Trainfish

Quote from: oldrailbug on October 15, 2012, 09:14:23 AM
We got a silent phone number about 8 years ago so we don't have to put up with those annoying twits  :veryangry:

We also have two stickers on the door asking sales people not to knock or they will be reported to the State Authorities, nothing so far but who knows  :)

I'm guessing that's Aussie for ex-directory over here is it? It doesn't matter any more here as we get them from all over the world and random numbers are often called by machine. First one to pick up gets the call, the others get silence. Then the same sequence starts again. And again. And again. I admit I have been quite rude to some of them and have had them swearing at me.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Malc

Best thing I ever invested in was a Caller Display Unit. About a tenner from e-bay. If the number is "unavailable","Withheld" or starts with 0800 or any of the other numbers we have noted down, we don't answer.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Trainfish

I understand what you're saying but we have caller ID too. However, it doesn't stop the damn thing ringing.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations