Strange mobile phone issue

Started by Newportnobby, June 24, 2022, 03:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

As many of you know I'm a Luddite, and probably always will be. For many years I've had a Samsung GT-S5260 mobile phone as, let's face it, it did all I needed it to do at the time. Via Bluetooth I could 'pair' it with my in car (Ford Fiesta) system so could make calls and receive texts hands free. The system held my contacts list so I could just press a button on the steering wheel and say 'Call Doctor' and it happened.

This last week I have traded the car in for a newer model Nissan and also bought a new phone – this time a Galaxy A12. I could 'pair' my old phone with the Nissan's system and it would carry my contacts list. When I 'pair' the A12 the car system recognises the phone but won't load my contacts list. I can 'unpair' the A12, and then 'pair' the old phone again successfully with contact list. ???

I always keep my contact list on the SIM of whatever phone I have.

Has anyone out there got a clue if I'm doing something wrong, whether the Nissan system somehow dislikes my new phone, or whether Samsung themselves have changed something.
It seems very strange all is well with my old phone but not the new one.

guest10040

Mick,

"Has anyone out there got a clue if I'm doing something wrong,"

YES

you upgraded ! if it works, don't mess with it, I believe also known as the KISS principle.

time after time I have found that a so called 'upgrade' turns out to be far from an improvement.

the programmers think it's great, but you actually end up worse off.

hopefully someone will be able to help you sort it, my advice would probably be along a visit by my friends messers Stirling and Browning, a gallon of 4 star, and a box of matches  :-[

ntpntpntp

No idea, and to be honest I won't pair my phone with the car anyway.   Even hands-free is a distraction from driving, trying to think and hold a conversion with someone remote who is unaware of the road situation you're currently dealing with.

As far as I'm concerned the phone should be left off or at least unanswered whilst driving, it's really not that important to make and receive calls.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

exmouthcraig

We had the same problem last year Mick after an update of Samsung software. It was well documented and took Samsung AGES to actually get back to us to how to update

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/android-12-update-no-contacts-in-car/td-p/4422038

Hopefully this works for you, it did for me on Samsung A53 and 3 different Ford Audio systems.

PLD

Assuming it is fairly recent version of Android operating system on the phone, (and Samsung haven't tweaked/customised), when you first pair the phone with the car, it *should* ask on the phone what you want to allow the car to access.

Unpair & re-pair (you might need to tell the phone to 'forget' the car) and watch for the message to allow access to contacts.

Newportnobby

Quote from: exmouthcraig on June 24, 2022, 03:50:23 PM

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/android-12-update-no-contacts-in-car/td-p/4422038

Hopefully this works for you, it did for me on Samsung A53 and 3 different Ford Audio systems.

@exmouthcraig
I'm concerned about making radical changes to a brand new phone based on a very blurred, gabbled youtube vid, Craig. I'll be talking to the chap in the shop who sold it to me next week, and also to Nissan to see if they are aware of this issue. Thanks anyway.

Newportnobby

The problem has been easily resolved.
As I said to my neighbour just this morning "The only thing left to try is move my contacts from the SIM to the phone and re-try".
Speaking to @Lawrence this afternoon he also suggested it.
Move made ½ an hour ago and all is well.
I just assumed if one Samsung mobile worked off the SIM then this one would.
Just goes to show - NEVER ASSUME :no:

stevewalker

Quote from: ntpntpntp on June 24, 2022, 03:33:58 PM
No idea, and to be honest I won't pair my phone with the car anyway.   Even hands-free is a distraction from driving, trying to think and hold a conversion with someone remote who is unaware of the road situation you're currently dealing with.

As far as I'm concerned the phone should be left off or at least unanswered whilst driving, it's really not that important to make and receive calls.

I consider answering hands-free less distracting than receiving a call that you cannot answer and then worrying about what it concerns. You can always tell the caller that things are getting tricky and to hang on a moment or even just stop talking.

Turning it off completely is not an option, as my wife may be calling to say stop off for her meds or some shopping on the way home or even that she has fallen and unable to get up, please come straight home without stopping off (she is disabled).

Bealman

Don't tell me you've finally got a smartphone, Mick!  :o
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on June 25, 2022, 07:16:39 AM

Yeah - but a basic one - Samsung Galaxy A12.
There again, as @Lawrence  said "It's more than enough for what you'll want it for".
I think that says something about its owner :-[
As ever, it sits in a drawer switched off until I go out anywhere. Gotta keep it disciplined :D

Bealman

Just think.... You'll be able to take pictures of the bus stop  :worried:

crewearpley40

Or any trains passing through Leyland or bamber bridge if you do not feel the need to take a tripod.

Nbodger

And it's smarter than Mick  :no:

Bealman

Newportnobby

Quote from: Nbodger on June 25, 2022, 09:41:52 AM

And it's smarter than Mick  :no:

I might have found that funny, except it's all too true :doh: