Hmm, well, I've had better days.

Started by emjaybee, May 12, 2019, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

Well, the day started well enough, got up, help wife with horses, came in and had breakfast.

Thought I'd get the lawns mown before it got too warm. Job done.

Next? Time to cut back the rampant Laurel at the front of the house between us and the neighbour. Started tackling it with petrol hedge trimmer, good job so far. Our neighbour came out to assist along with his long-handled hedge trimmer which we needed for the top. This is where it started to go awry.

Whilst using it on a sturdy ladder trestle, I was almost finished when, as I swung it level, I got a nasty electrical belt from my right elbow to my right hand. Finished the Laurel off, took no more than minute and a half and turned of the trimmer...

...woah! Suddenly heart started racing like you wouldn't believe, not just pounding, but a real machine gun like speed (and I mean Tommy Gun fast!), coupled with a really light headed feeling. Got off the trestle sharpish, and called the wife whilst bemused neighbour tried to help (wife is a qualified FAW (First Aider at Work)). A rather convoluted call to NHS Direct resulted in a vist by a ambulance and a couple of charming paramedics. ECG's were run, showing some very interesting and unusual patterns and they decided A&E would be a good idea. More ECG's, blood tests, urine samples, and more ECG's. Sent home after two hours and told to take it easy.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, it turned out the rubber spark-plug lead end had a small split which as I swung the trimmer came into contact with my elbow and sent approximately 45,000 volts coursing through my arm, triggering the racing heart symptoms.

The moral? Always check equipment before using, especially if you are borrowing it, it wouldn't have occurred to me to inspect the rubber cover that closely to find a small split. My neighbour, bless him, felt awful, but no long term harm.

The medical advice is that anyone receiving an electrical shock, whether from house electrics, vehicle HT leads or other HT leads, should go to A&E for ECG tests.

Been feeling below par for the rest of the day. Hey-ho.

Tomorrow is another day.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

weave

Hi emjaybee,

Sounds 'orrible. Glad your OK.

Advice taken on board. Thank you. Gardening is my job but I'm not great at elfin safety. Must do better.

Take care my friend, you don't want to damage your pitching arm  :)

Cheers weave  :beers:

Trainfish

Quote from: emjaybee on May 12, 2019, 11:32:02 PM
The medical advice is that anyone receiving an electrical shock, whether from house electrics, vehicle HT leads or other HT leads, should go to A&E for ECG tests.

Having served an apprenticeship to be an electrician and many years qualified I would have had to move into A&E if I did that every time I had a belt. Probably best to be safe rather than sorry for others though. I think my body has just got used to it  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bealman

Yes indeed. I've had a kick from a spark plug on a mower with exactly the same split cap problem. Luckily I was years younger, and I had no adverse effects. Not sure about these days, though!!

Take it easy and monitor yourself.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

Jeeez Michael. Glad you're okay and hopefully no long term damage. Keep resting for a few days - it sounds like your heart ran a marathon in a few seconds. :beers:

Newportnobby

Cripes, Michael :o 45000 volts :goggleeyes:
I think I'd be on a cloud playing my harp after that.

broadsword

A cautionary tale, however the grim reaper was cheated out of another victim. 

45,000 volts is that AC or DC ?  Not sure if it's the volts or amps that does the damage.

When I was young (approx. 12) I was messing about with an old mains radio
when I got a shock from it, by God that gave me a tingle in my arm which
lasted for a few days.

Now where can I buy a Faraday cage....... :hmmm:

tutenkhamunsleeping

joe cassidy

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 13, 2019, 09:45:41 AM
Cripes, Michael :o 45000 volts :goggleeyes:
I think I'd be on a cloud playing my harp after that.

I admire your optimism Mick  :)

Malc

Quote from: broadsword on May 13, 2019, 10:00:58 AM

45,000 volts is that AC or DC ?  Not sure if it's the volts or amps that does the damage.
It's DC and the current causes the damage. It only requires 50volts between The fingertips to cause enough current to flow through the heart to stop it. When working on TVs we were always told to keep one hand in your pocket so that couldn't happen.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

dannyboy

Flippin' 'eck!  :o Glad things appear to be back to near normal now.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

port perran

Blimey.
Hope you are back to normal now.
As I always say, you can't trust electricity. Never trust anything you can't see.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

chrism

Quote from: Malc on May 13, 2019, 11:40:37 AM
Quote from: broadsword on May 13, 2019, 10:00:58 AM

It's DC and the current causes the damage. It only requires 50volts between The fingertips to cause enough current to flow through the heart to stop it.

As I was told years ago, "It's the volts that jolts but the mils that kills".
Don't know how correct it is but I was also told that 30mA for 30µs directly across the heart was enough to stop it.

Bob G

Blimey Michael

That's a lucky one.
Have you got any X men type powers following that?
I mean, just dont point at anything in a meaningful way for a while...

Bob

weave

Hi again Michael,

No replies and no 'thank yous' so hope all OK with you today and you've gone to work as normal.

Did find this on the volt/amp front....

https://www.dribin.org/dave/blog/archives/2003/12/29/amps_vs_volts/

I've often cut hedges and strimmed in the rain as it's my job and had to be done. Think I'll think twice in the future.

Please let us know you're alright.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations