Forum Issues

Started by Tank, July 19, 2023, 05:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Quote from: Nbodger on August 12, 2023, 04:30:52 PM
Quote from: dannyboy on August 12, 2023, 04:07:41 PMI've just tested that page. @Trainfish  is correct!  ;)

Why would you do that!
Just checking, I would hate for you to miss anything.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

RBTKraisee

Not sure if it has been mentioned previously but the text size function isn't working properly in posts when combined with other things like colour and centering.

[size=8]
This line is an example!
[/size]

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

NGFTech

Testing font size

Works for me... might be a settings policy and not that it isn't working.

RBTKraisee

Quote from: NGFTech on August 12, 2023, 08:17:36 PMTesting font size

Works for me... might be a settings policy and not that it isn't working.

Try it with some other effects. Center it and change the colour - that definitely breaks it :)

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Nbodger

Ross @RBTKraisee ,

You need to re-highlight between each action, where as before the highlighting stayed allowing you to do more than one action.

RBTKraisee

Separate question...

Images in my posts using the "BB Code" link in the gallery (shown in green oval below) used to be clickable and a larger version would popup. That isn't happening any longer. Is there a tweak you can do to put that functionality back?

I can make new images work by using the "Medium" option in the five different types of code that are listed in the gallery (red oval below), but for all my old posts, nobody can open the larger versions of the pictures any longer.

Cheers,

Ross.

---=== B Minus 3 Days ===---

icairns

In the previous version of the Forum, when I created a new post, and also when I posted on another member's thread, I used to get an email notifying me of new posts on these two types of threads. I no longer get these email notifications.

Presumably, my account settings on the new version of the Forum are not allowing this.  I have tried adjusting things, but no success so far.

Can someone please provide step-by-step instructions on how to correct this so I get email notifications on future posts (on the threads I have created or posted on).

Thank you in advance.

Ian

ntpntpntp

I noticed that problem with older posts and existing images too. 

I've been using the BB Medium Image link for all new stuff.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

PLD

Quote from: RBTKraisee on August 12, 2023, 07:25:49 PMNot sure if it has been mentioned previously but the text size function isn't working properly in posts when combined with other things like colour and centering.

[size=8]This line is an example![/size]

Ross.
I think Ross, the only issue is you are trying to apply font size 8 but it now only goes up to 7!

Not applicable in this case, but I've seen it before on another forum that the order of the tags matters for certain things... Centre Alignment needs to be the outer tag then IIRC text size next after that...

so (without the extra spaces) [ center ][ size=7 ][ b ][ color=blue ]TESTING[ /color ][ /b ][ /size ][ /center ] gives me:
TESTING

RBTKraisee

The wonders of modern technology, eh? :D

Thanks for the tips!

Ross.

---=== B Minus 3 Days ===---

Bealman

All this is doing my head in. This old fart is just waiting until things settle down and hopefully go back to the forum of old.

Go Matildas!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

chrism

As has previously been reported, some of us are getting a huge space between the site header image and the content of any forum page - the content starting roughly halfway down the browser screen.
I've been having a little play to try and identify what the cause could be, in the hope that the tech guys can resolve it. The issue is certainly browser dependent, in that it appears in my prefered Seamonkey browser, and whatever browser @Bealman uses, but doesn't in either Firefox or Edge (both of which I can't stand and only use if really forced to). Whilst I can't work out from the page source what's amiss, I've compared the display between my browser and Firefox to see what the differences are.

It appears that there are, effectively, four "blocks" to the way the forum is displayed;
1) the site header, including the quick menus and the forum header image
2) a content header, including the date/time and the unread posts/topics links.
3) the main content, starting with the Home, Search, etc. buttons, followed by the content - either the lists of boards, a topic or the gallery.
4) the footer, including the copyright notice, etc.

In the browsers that are displaying incorrectly, it appears that it is displaying the site header at the top correctly, then calculating the space required for the content and displaying the content header that distance down the page, overlaying that with the footer (such that the content header contents are obscured) and finally overlaying that with the content block to whatever length that is.
The result of this is that the content header, footer and content always start approximately halfway down the displayed page, giving a large blank area which varies in length depending on the length of the content. Here are some screenshots to show what I've tried to describe;

Firefox top of page;

Firefox bottom of page;

Seamonkey top of page;

Note the gap below the header image.

Seamonkey top of content area;

Note the large gap above, what appears to be the content header overlaid by the footer (hiding the content header contents) then that overlaid by the actual page contents.

Finally, Seamonkey very bottom of the page;

Note that the footer doesn't appear at all, because it was positioned just above the content block.

Hopefully, this will enable the tech guys to see what the issue is so that, when time permits, they can see if anything can be done to resolve it.

Papyrus

Why am I not getting all these problems that other people are getting? The Forum is whizzing along perfectly for me, so I feel I am missing out on all the excitement...

(There. That should put the kiss of death on it.)

Cheers,

Chris

Browning 9mm

I'm with you @Papyrus
been wizzing along for days, haven't bother to log out, but I don't do anything with photos etc.

I can read posts, change pages and threads with no delays
and post, so far.

all as they say 'tickety boo'

so that's two nails in the coffin  :-[

chrism

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that it is indeed whizzing along very nicely - it'd just be nice if some of us didn't have to scroll down past acres of blank space to get to any page's content.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations