Message Editing - Now Timed

Started by guest2, December 04, 2011, 09:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Hello everyone,

Due to important messages being changed on the Trading section of the forum, I am now enabling a 5 minute editing time on posts.  This is similar to other forums who allow a minute.  Editing on this part of the forum has caused problems to other members.

If this causes problems then please let me know.

Thanks,
Tank.
:NGaugeForum:

Stew2000

It's a good idea.
But is it possible to only do it within the Trading area?

Tank

I did try, but the settings don't let me dictate which boards to do it to. :thumbsdown:  I also looked on the SMF (the forums makers) to see if there was a modication that I could add in regards to viewing edited posts if needed, but apparently it invades members privacy. ::)

Dr Al

Does this mean we can't modify posts any more? I can't see the 'modify' link any more in any of my posts - which is rather irritating if you make a typo or think of more to add.

Moreover, I wanted to add some more things in my 'for sale' listing, which I now can't do without starting another thread, which will get messy!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Dr Al

P.s. Nor can I modify it to mark items 'sold'......!

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Tank

Alan, I know it'll be a pain in that respect.  Please feel free to start new topics in the For Sale section, and I'll see if there's something I can do in the future.  Five minutes is more than enough time to make changes to typo's though.  :)

Dr Al

Quote from: Tank on December 05, 2011, 08:41:20 AM
Alan, I know it'll be a pain in that respect.  Please feel free to start new topics in the For Sale section, and I'll see if there's something I can do in the future.  Five minutes is more than enough time to make changes to typo's though.  :)

Sorry Tank, but I do really feel this utterly wrecks the functionality of the for-sale section in particular. I totally understand the problem though - it's easy for things to be changed retrospectively if someone has a gripe. Other forums manage with editing avaialble though.

Is there any way that messages can be logged such that if changes are made then the mods know what they are? This would keep everyone happy.

Or, could the offenders simply be warned/banned so the rest of us who play ball don't have to suffer due to the actions of a few?

Thanks for your continuing efforts (I don't doubt running this forum must have its difficulties!)
Alan

:NGaugeForum:

jonclox

Ive known this system used on other boards but in everycase 25/45 minutes have been the limit.
5 Minutes seems far to short to me, if I see a spelling mistake in a post Ive just made it often takes 5+ minutes to spellcheck/edit it
I can see myself posting less to avoid mistakes etc
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Chinahand

I agree with jonclox. 5 Minutes does seem very short. I'm a member of another forum where you have 1 hour to correct or add to postings. I think we will be seeing a lot more errors in postings.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

Tank

An hour....ok, I'll extend it to this.  I thought 1-5 minutes was pretty standard.

I appreciate all feedback, as I think it's going to be a pain until I can find a solution!

Quote from: Dr Al on December 05, 2011, 08:58:42 AM
Sorry Tank, but I do really feel this utterly wrecks the functionality of the for-sale section in particular. I totally understand the problem though - it's easy for things to be changed retrospectively if someone has a gripe. Other forums manage with editing avaialble though.

Is there any way that messages can be logged such that if changes are made then the mods know what they are? This would keep everyone happy.

Or, could the offenders simply be warned/banned so the rest of us who play ball don't have to suffer due to the actions of a few?

Thanks for your continuing efforts (I don't doubt running this forum must have its difficulties!)
Alan

I quite agree Alan, it's terrible when functions have to be restricted, but sadly there is always someone that wrecks it for everyone else. ::)  This is what makes forums so complicated. :-\  I did try to find out about getting a modification to log all edits, just so I can refer to them if there are reported problems (believe me, this would save a lot of hassle!), but the makers of the forum believe that this improaches members privacy.  :(

I'm still looking into a solution.  In the mean time, please either start new threads in the For Sale section, or PM myself or a moderator with updates, and they can update sold items.

Thanks!

polo2k

Good to see things moving with the times
I have seen on some forums that posts in the classifieds need to be approved before posting. Presumably the admin would recieve a notification by email whenever a new post is submitted. You could then store these copies as a definitive proof of the original.

Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

EtchedPixels

Two months from when - from today or from posting - should we all go and bump all our for sale posts ?

Also btw you've not actually fixed the problem - the use of off site images means the pictures of the item for sale can be changed untraceably after the moment.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Tank

Quote from: EtchedPixels on December 05, 2011, 06:14:23 PM
Two months from when - from today or from posting - should we all go and bump all our for sale posts ?

???  I don't understand the above?

I realise the problem isn't fixed, this is just a temporary solution to try and help traders out.  If someone is interested in buying the items then they can 'Right Click' on their mouse and save the pictures themselves.  They can also copy and paste the text, or if confident, they can 'Print Screen' and save the image on their computer of the whole advertisement.

Lawrence

The facility on this forum for buying / selling or trading relies heavily on the integrity and goodwill of the parties involved in the exchange.  If members are put out at all by a little inconvenience or wish to have some legally binding procedure put in place they are of course free to sell items on the many auction sites and pay the appropriate fee.  All that can be done is being done to make the process as fair and as transparent as possible, nobody is forced to use this facility.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Tank on December 05, 2011, 06:37:55 PM
Quote from: EtchedPixels on December 05, 2011, 06:14:23 PM

???  I don't understand the above?

I realise the problem isn't fixed, this is just a temporary solution to try and help traders out.  If someone is interested in buying the items then they can 'Right Click' on their mouse and save the pictures themselves.  They can also copy and paste the text, or if confident, they can 'Print Screen' and save the image on their computer of the whole advertisement.

I've got some for sale bits older than two months but still for sale.

Are you going to

a) Lock them all in the next few days
b) Wait two months from the announcement and begin locking idle for sale entries ?

(or better yet moving them somewhere out of sight)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations