Sometimes I wish I modelled in 00

Started by silly moo, January 08, 2019, 04:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tutenkhamunsleeping

Must confess I've pre-ordered an Accurascale Deltic in OO.

Given that the scaled-down Bachmann OO effort is still a relatively recent release in N, my thinking was that the chances of a better shaped N model of this iconic beast before I pop my cloggs are pretty slim!

ohlavache

Quote from: silly moo on January 08, 2019, 05:27:47 PM
It's the tank engines that tempt me Pecketts, Terriers and the Wainwright class H, I wouldn't be able to scratch build them in N to a reasonable standard.

I will always be grateful to Dapol for doing the Terrier in N though I've got half a dozen.

Pecketts are also tempting for me.
Especially the class W4 0-4-0ST.  :heart2:

bluedepot

there is just so much available in oo that I would very quickly get addicted to collecting stock and go bankrupt if i switched to it

at least in n gauge there are just a few new models each year i want to buy and the range available now is pretty good really with just a few gaps

i do have some euro ho though I confess!

Tim

red_death

And there are plenty of models available in N that aren't available in OO so I think it works both ways.

Leon

There is all the choice that I need in N, but I have doubted the wisdom of modelling a scale I can't clearly see and/or read. But, I'm finding 4' x 8' isn't enough space for my layout, so I'd have to alter my objective and take a totally different approach to build in OO or HO. So, I buy static models I can see, for display, and soldier on in the ultra-miniature world!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

scottmitchell74

I've thought about it over the years, especially in HO for American stuff, but there's something about the size of N that just has always appealed to me. I have O-Scale for under the tree at Christmas, and if I was rich with unlimited space I might go that route, but N really is the gauge for me.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

bluedepot

I'm sticking with n gauge for a while longer yet but if/when my eyes deteriorate I'll maybe go up a scale

ntpntpntp

I can go from one extreme to the other  :D   :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

railsquid

Quote from: red_death on January 09, 2019, 04:02:12 PM
And there are plenty of models available in N that aren't available in OO so I think it works both ways.

Any examples? I can't think of anything off the top of my head, though my OO knowledge is incomplete, to say the least.

Mind you, on the odd occasion where I find myself browsing OO-related forum content (elsewhere of course :D ), no-one appears satisified with the range available in OO either (or if it is available then it's "wrong" or otherwise unsatisfactory).

Bealman

I think you should all wash your mouths out with soap  :D :NGaugersRule:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

red_death

Our forthcoming 321s, VEAs, HOAs, Sturgeons, Farish 319, Dapol prototype HST - that is just forthcoming rtr stuff and I'm sure I've missed things.

Steven B

The Revolution class 92 will arrive long before a decent OO Gauge model.

Dapol's class 67 was much better than the old Lima model Hornby were selling at the time it was released. Similarly the Dapol N Gauge Terrier was a better model than the 4mm scale equivalent.

We do OK on most RTR models. Where we do loose out is when retailers commission models - I'd be suprised if some of Kernow or Hattons wagons get downsized unless someone like Revolution Trains is involved in a bit of arm twisting.

Train Waiting

Quote from: railsquid on January 10, 2019, 05:09:48 AM

Any examples? I can't think of anything off the top of my head, though my OO knowledge is incomplete, to say the least.

Mind you, on the odd occasion where I find myself browsing OO-related forum content (elsewhere of course :D ), no-one appears satisified with the range available in OO either (or if it is available then it's "wrong" or otherwise unsatisfactory).

My '00' knowledge is now very patchy indeed, but I think Union Mills has favoured us with some splendid locomotives that are not available in '00'.  Examples (hopefully!) such as the Prince of Wales, J38, 7F 'Austin Seven', and the L&SWR Adams 0395.  Apologies if any of these are available in '00', possibly from 00 Works.

I have some '00' stuff, mostly Wrenn from years ago, and a few now-regretted purchases from the period when I was disillusioned with British 'N' gauge.  It almost never runs nowadays - my Table-Top Railway in British 'N' gauge is far too much fun!

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Bealman

Yes indeed. I love your tabletop layout!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Quote from: railsquid on January 10, 2019, 05:09:48 AM

Farish GBRF IIAs spring to mind.

Lots from Revolution's stable (if you consider forthcoming models) though; HOAs, IPAs.

Struggling much beyond that!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations