The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogle

Quote from: thebrighton on March 10, 2012, 04:00:15 PM

There's three other flats in the house I live in, why couldn't they try any of them?  ???
Are they only allowed to press one bell and spend no more than 10 seconds to wait for an answer?
Now I have to wait 48hrs to make a special trip on Monday to collect it.  >:( CRETINS!

Hi,
I tend to just read posts on this forum and this isn't the way I'd like to make my first post.
Being a postie I find 'cretin' most offensive.
Due to security of the 'Queens Mail' we are not allowed to deliver your item to another address so cannot try the other numbers. Posties do though to help the customer but you would be surprised how many neighbours don't get on and the packet is never passed on. If the postie is caught doing this it can be a sackable offence under the conduct code regarding security of the mail. I should know as I am currently under a 2 year suspended dismissal for trying to help a customer in this way. An odd figure I know but we are given 58 seconds per packet call and believe me we like to get rid of your packet as we'd rather not continue carrying it round! Sure, you may have to wait 48 hours but at least you know you'll get it rather than a neighbour stealing it. You don't have to make a special trip either. Once you've got the card through the door you can request the packet be delivered to your home or indeed any other address that your local office covers.
We slog round every day carrying heavy bags in all weathers so please be certain of your facts before insulting people.
G

Didn't mean to insult anyone, just letting off steam because it keeps happening.
(This is the angry thread after all...)
Neighbors won't steal it here, we have one front door and a communal hall where all the post, papers etc gets put.
But I know I'm lucky and that thats probably in a minority.

58 seconds per packet call? Crikey.
That's not very long to hear the bell ring, open the flat door, and charge down three flights of stairs to answer the front door.
Think I need a firemans pole!  :smiley-laughing:

Sorry to hear about your suspension for trying to be helpful.
Again, No offense meant to any posties, past or present.
You all do a great job in all weathers, come rain or shine.  :thumbsup:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Geoff

There's three other flats in the house I live in, why couldn't they try any of them?  ???
Are they only allowed to press one bell and spend no more than 10 seconds to wait for an answer?
Now I have to wait 48hrs to make a special trip on Monday to collect it.  >:( CRETINS!

Hi,
I tend to just read posts on this forum and this isn't the way I'd like to make my first post.
Due to security of the 'Queens Mail' we are not allowed to deliver your item to another address so cannot try the other numbers. Posties do though to help the customer but you would be surprised how many neighbours don't get on and the packet is never passed on. If the postie is caught doing this it can be a sackable offence under the conduct code regarding security of the mail. I should know as I am currently under a 2 year suspended dismissal for trying to help a customer in this way. An odd figure I know but we are given 58 seconds per packet call and believe me we like to get rid of your packet as we'd rather not continue carrying it round! Sure, you may have to wait 48 hours but at least you know you'll get it rather than a neighbour stealing it. You don't have to make a special trip either. Once you've got the card through the door you can request the packet be delivered to your home or indeed any other address that your local office covers.
We slog round every day carrying heavy bags in all weathers so please be certain of your facts before insulting people.
G

I have to say there are good post men and very poor postman and your right no one should be called names, our regular postman is superb, but the stand in post man always leaves a package in our services cupboard where anyone could open and he does not knock just wants to finish his round quicker, there is always someone in our house, I have contacted the dispatching warehouse and they say they are sorry and will tell the stand in postman to knock but never does, so we have to check our services cupboard regularly when we think there is a package coming.
Geoff

MinZaPint

Very happy with our postie, always make sure to jump on the landing so he can hear I'm coming! Thats only when I'm expecting a package of goodies. Quiet as a mouse when it my be a letter from IR!

Cheers Scotsoft & Sprintex for your advice, many thanks I'll give it a go.
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Lawrence

There is good and not so good in all walks of life, this little corner of the forum is there for members to vent their spleens from time to time. 
Members should remember that this is often a temporary state of mind  ;) and no offence should be intended or taken (well not permanently anyway  :smiley-laughing: ).

I would never be allowed in a bus or taxi again, or be able to sort anything out involving a call centre  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

moogle

Quote from: Lawrence on March 10, 2012, 04:50:09 PM
There is good and not so good in all walks of life, this little corner of the forum is there for members to vent their spleens from time to time. 
Members should remember that this is often a temporary state of mind  ;) and no offence should be intended or taken (well not permanently anyway  :smiley-laughing: ).

I would never be allowed in a bus or taxi again, or be able to sort anything out involving a call centre  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Very true Lawrence.
I've removed the offensive 'name' and apologised for it too.
But my anger remains, only in my original post though!  :smiley-laughing:
Oh, and don't get me started on call centers...  :evil:

My Irish layout here

brbluewill

Hi,
G

i've called my postie worse ;D ;D ;D ;D
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

thebrighton

Hi,
Yep, I know it can be frustrating when you get a card through the door. It is for me too as a different office delivers to my house and their callers office closes at noon (while I'm still at work) whilst ours closes at 6pm and as it's a different area I can't get it delivered to our office!
Leaving packets with neighbours, although not allowed, was always done in the past but unfortunately times are changing. In my case it was my regular duty and a customer whose neighbour regularly took things in for them. All of a sudden it was a packet they didn't want their neighbour to know about so complained. Unfortunately my other customers will lose out as I now do everything by the book.
However as pointed out by others there are some posties out there whom want to go home early so don't wait or worse still just leave packets on doorsteps. Of course they never get caught! Now I'm ranting :smiley-laughing:
G

moogle

Quote from: thebrighton on March 10, 2012, 05:11:58 PM
Hi,
Yep, I know it can be frustrating when you get a card through the door. It is for me too as a different office delivers to my house and their callers office closes at noon (while I'm still at work) whilst ours closes at 6pm and as it's a different area I can't get it delivered to our office!
Leaving packets with neighbours, although not allowed, was always done in the past but unfortunately times are changing. In my case it was my regular duty and a customer whose neighbour regularly took things in for them. All of a sudden it was a packet they didn't want their neighbour to know about so complained. Unfortunately my other customers will lose out as I now do everything by the book.
However as pointed out by others there are some posties out there whom want to go home early so don't wait or worse still just leave packets on doorsteps. Of course they never get caught! Now I'm ranting :smiley-laughing:
G

Hey, its good to have a rant mate, hence this thread!  ;)

My Irish layout here

Mustermark

I have enjoyed reading over the 'Postie' thread.

Our postie here in the US has a little van.  He drives up our drive and chucks my parcels onto our doorstep where they remain until we get home (we have been in when he has chucked things).  Also when something needs a signature, he hasn't even bothered ringing the bell, he's just stuck the card on the door and buggered off.  I think if he had to carry the bag he would be keener to get an answer!

Having said that post here is a funny thing compared to the UK... if a parcel doesn't need a signature it is left out in plain sight on the doorstep, and all letters are left in the mailbox out on the street (we don't have letterboxes in the door).  But nothing ever gets nicked.  Unbelievable! :o  But I love that most things get left on the doorstep (and not stolen) so I don't have to wait till Saturday to pick it up.

But, I would also like to thank thebrighton and moogle for both handling the angry post so well.  I thought thebrighton's reply was very well said and moogle was very quick to apologize and correct his post.  Thank you both for dealing with the incident so graciously.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

thebrighton

Hi,
Of course the most ridiculous thing is the rules governing Royal Mail and every other courier firm. The Royal Mail is the 'Queens Mail' and has to adhere to very strict security rules whereas no other courier has any restriction and can leave on doorsteps, with neighbours etc. Of course some of the larger companies will still card you but many are paid per item delivered so anything goes. And as for subsidising our competitors that's another story for another day. No wonder RM is in a mess!
G

Newportnobby

My curiosity is now piqued, G.
I can see you are an NGS member, but are you keeping what you're up to in N gauge a secret?
I'm not being nosy but just.......................oh, OK, I am being nosy. What are you modelling ???

MikeDunn

Things to make you go ... WTF  ???

Today, in Shrewsbury, SWMBO & I popped into a shop that had a young girl (well, in her early 20's anyway !) outside trying to tempt people in (NO ! Not like that !  What kind of shop do you think we'd ... no, don't answer that ::)) with a tray of chocolates they were selling ...

"No thanks, it's Lent" says SWMBO.

"Oh no, they're our own" says the girl ...

"No - not Lindt - LENT !" says I ...

"Oh, what's that then ?" she replies, utterly unaware ... ... ...

I ask you !   :o

Mike

longbridge

Go easy on the Posties boys, I was a relief Postie for over 24 years and worked in 57 different Post Offices and did nearly 300 different rounds, Posties do the best they can but occasionally they like everyone else can make a mistake, yup even Posties are human.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Geoff

Quote from: newportnobby on March 10, 2012, 08:04:57 PM
I can see you are an NGS member, but are you keeping what you're up to in N gauge a secret?
I'm not being nosy but just.......................oh, OK, I am being nosy. What are you modelling ???

Are you asking me, if so I have a 5 x 3 n gauge setup which the track is fully laid, the only thing that needs to go on there is the scenery which I have just started with the ballast, I have just put together a base board for a smaller layout 4 x 2 but I have put a halt on this as I have been told by her in doors to make use of the shed, so today I have been busy lining the inside of the shed to put my layout in and I feel it will be an L shape, the size of the shed is 8 x 6 so I am quite chuffed lol by what I am able to get up to in there, I appologise for not posting any pictures but once I have the shed sorted there should be plenty. I do hope this answers your question.
Geoff

thebrighton

Quote from: newportnobby on March 10, 2012, 08:04:57 PM

Hi,
Probably time to move into another section here as not anger related but Horeham Road & Waldron in LBSCR days.
Gareth

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations