N scale

Started by Elvinley, February 10, 2017, 11:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

......N stands for Nine Millimetre track GAUGE, as you all may well know, so.....it's N Gauge,  :P....it just happens to be 1:148 scale.. :D....in the UK at least anyway.... :-\
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Jon898

Far from me to sound like a Trekkie but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jd1Ih8EUmw

Although why Picard has so much trouble with his sewing machines, I'll never know  ???

Jon

Bealman

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Looks like he's definitely on Elvinley's side!!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

dannyboy

So, do we have n scale rolling stock on n gauge track   :doh: ???  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Elvinley

I just hope this never becomes the N Scale Forum.

Bealman

Maybe we should make Patrick Stewart an honorary member of the forum, just to make sure!  ;D

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

Quote from: Bealman on February 20, 2017, 11:42:53 PM
Maybe we should make Patrick Stewart an honorary member of the forum, just to make sure!  ;D

Make it so!
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

RailGooner

So, has @Elvinley accidentally exposed a Borg plot to assimilate British N Gauge?  :worried: :confused1: :goggleeyes: :o :goggleeyes:

Steamie+

Quote from: RailGooner on February 20, 2017, 06:08:39 PM
Of no interest to @Steamie+  I know.

I've just received the reply "The Graham Farish range of British outline N scale products are produced in 1:148 scale – the standard for British N scale. Likewise, our OO scale models are produced in 1:76 scale which again is the standard for British OO scale. I trust this information is of interest to you, ...".

:beers:

And there's that pesky OO that refuses to lay down and die!

That has completely gone over my head lol  :laugh: :laugh: and theirs it seems.

Quote from: Jimbo on February 20, 2017, 09:22:23 PM
......N stands for Nine Millimetre track GAUGE, as you all may well know, so.....it's N Gauge,  :P....it just happens to be 1:148 scale.. :D....in the UK at least anyway.... :-\

:NGaugersRule: :NGaugersRule:

N Gauge..
Quote from: daffy on February 20, 2017, 11:47:06 PM
Quote from: Bealman on February 20, 2017, 11:42:53 PM

Make it so!

N Gauge...Make it so!...N Gauge...Make it so!...N Gauge...Make it so!...N Gauge...Make it so!....

Happy Modelling       :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

martyn

I had always understood that N gauge scale/gauge came out as;
N=Nine millimetre (the track gauge used).
Scale-the scale of the trains running on said 9 mm track.
I prefer N-gauge, with the scale unsaid.
Martyn

Bealman

Yes,

And while the light hearted banter is fine  (I will take responsibility for creating it), some of it becomes tiresome, and let's address the OP.  :thumbsup: :beers:

George

ntpntpntp

Quote from: RailGooner on February 20, 2017, 06:08:39 PM
...'N Scale' (universally interpreted to mean 1:160) when talking about 'N Gauge' (universally interpreted to mean 1:148)?[/i]".

Not sure I'd agree with "universally interpreted" for either of those two terms.    "N gauge" certainly doesn't naturally equate to 1:148 for me, it has nothing to do with the scale other than there are a group of fairly close scales which happen to run on the same gauge, excluding the "obviously narrow gauge" larger scales such as HOe, 009 etc.

As a modeller of german railways since the 80s, if anything then "N Spur" / "N gauge" implies 1:160 scale to me and probably means 1:160 to rather more people worldwide than it means 1:148.

I tend to distinguish the scales as  "European N Scale" = 1:160, "American N Scale" = 1:160,  "British N Scale" = 1:148,  "Japanese N Scale = 1:150". 

I think Farish are right to use "British N Scale".

[edit]
btw, we have exactly the same argument discussion on the large scale fora re "G Scale" or "G Gauge" which has a whole bunch of different scales running on the same track gauge.
[/edit]
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Nick

What's with all this Johnny-come-lately N gauge/scale stuff anyway? Everyone knows it's really OOO....  :D

(OK, I admit it. I am old enough to have owned a Lone Star Treble-O-Lectric set many, many moons ago. And the push along die-cast stuff, which is still around somewhere. My son used to love playing with that. I wonder if my new grand-daughter will? )

OK - I'll get my coat. The white one, with the funny arms...  ;)
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations