Toyota Corolla Hybrid - new

Started by dannyboy, March 03, 2020, 11:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I have ordered myself a new Toyota Corolla Hybrid saloon, due in a couple of weeks. Does any one own the new Corolla and if so, any comments, (good or bad)?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Malc

Not a Corolla but I've had a couple of Toyota Hybrids. First the Auris and now a RAV4. No complaints about either of them. I would still have the Auris if someone hadn't shot a red light. The RAV4 is great because it is easy to get into with my bad back - no bending double. Happy motoring.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

;D

Great reply, even though I'm increasingly impressed with what I read about hybrid cars.

But that doesn't really matter much to me either.  :)

:beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mr Sprue

Not a Hybrid but my wife's car was a RAV4 which we had from new for 16 years, the car never missed a beat.

Toyota's compared to other manufacturers out there have got it right when it comes down to reliability their engines are pretty much bullet proof.

Something else to to take into consideration Toyota's must be good because the Taliban and Arabs use em!  ;) 

Michael Shillabeer

I drove two Toyota Aquas on holiday in Japan last year.

Very impressed with them despite them being low powered city cars!

The second one we drove for about 100 miles and the fuel gauge didn't move, so the hire company didn't charge extra for fuel :-)

Paddy

Hi @dannyboy

I am sure you will be very pleased with your purchase.  I was considering a hybrid myself but was put off when the government announced that they too would be included in the combustion engine ban in 2035.

I know this is 14 years away, but I may now hold on to see how the electric market pans out.

I hope you enjoy your new car.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Mr Sprue

I'm still tempted to get a second hand i3 though just to see if I can get on with an all electric car.

Calnefoxile

Quote from: dannyboy on March 03, 2020, 11:42:48 AM
I have ordered myself a new Toyota Corolla Hybrid saloon, due in a couple of weeks. Does any one own the new Corolla and if so, any comments, (good or bad)?

The Corolla Hybrid is one of the cars on my Comapny's car list and I'm trying to find a way to order one for myself, well the estate version as I need the space, but my company are being a bit a**y about mileage, apparantly because I do more than 20k a year and spend more of my time on motorways I should be ordering a Diesel, with the BIK of anything from 25%-32% whereas the Corolla is less than 20%.

Also I had a look at the hatchback version and the boot is not a great size, but I've not had managed to look at an estate, although I have seen some on the road and they do look nice, also with being Toyotas they are pretty packed with Tech.

looking forward to your report on them, might sway my choice in a couple of months time  ;) ;) ;)

Cheers

Neal.

dannyboy

@Calnefoxile The delivery is scheduled for 17th March - which is St. Patricks Day! Not sure how that is going to work in Ireland - normally, most places are shut! However, once I do get the car, I will let you know my thoughts.  :beers:
David.

Malc

I'm not sure about electric cars. I was stuck in a traffic jam after an accident on the motorway a few winters back when we had snow. I had to keep running the engine to keep warm. I was only held up for 40 mins, but what if it had been overnight? How would you keep warm in an electric car without flattening the battery?

dannyboy

That is one reason why I never fancied getting an electric only car. The Corolla is a hybrid, so has both an electric motor and a 'conventional' petrol engine. I am still reading up on the car, but the 'conventional' engine keeps the battery for the electric engine topped up.
David.

guest311

so finally doing what the railways have done for decades  >:D

Malc

One thing to remember is that they don't have a starter motor, so if your hybrid battery goes flat, even if the 12v battery is OK, you won't start it. Unlikely to happen though.

Ditape

I have a Mercedes C Class 300h (hybrid) estate and it is great more economic than my Skoda Citigo city car was on mixed driving I get a real world 54 mpg. So I am a confirmed fan of Hybrids.

Diane Tape

Jon898

I had a 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid until August of last year (2019).  Drove it for 180,000 reliable miles.  Wonderful vehicle.  Because of the two electric motors, the acceleration was great (at the time it was the fasted 0-60 Toyota sold in the US).  Originally I used it for commuting (roughly half highway at 70+mph and half city stop-go) getting decent mileage for an SUV (about 36 miles per imperial gallon), but after retirement and moving away from the city, that dropped by 20% as most of the driving was on straight highways.  I would imagine Ireland would make the hybrid very practical from a fuel economy point of view.

Not diesel economy, but in the US if the urea solution is too low or the NOx sensors go bad the car is disabled (won't start), so diesels are somewhat risky.  I found that out the hard way when I traded the Toyota for a Diesel Range Rover Sport and discovered that the dealers were incompetent to work on them...car had availability under 80%, so was traded for a petrol Audi Q5 3.0 that's returning 31.5 miles per imperial gallon.

I suspect you'll love it!

Jon

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations