Less than impressive Warwell kit.

Started by emjaybee, July 28, 2019, 12:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulCheffus

Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 30, 2019, 03:55:00 PM
welcome paul

maybe a thread on how your constructing this interesting departmental model be great. paul bartlett 's site has interesting photos and materials on these warwells. i have seen a couple used for loading mini diggers , barrows, bobcats, fencing, tools
etc attached to a vacuum brake van and what looked a tool van converted from an old box van

Hi

It might be a while though as there are quite a few other items in the queue.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

crewearpley40

please see edited bit !!!

there was a / is a useful thread here :

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=8083.0

Ben A

Hello all,

I think the NGS has a new products officer, so perhaps the OP could write up some improved instruction notes and send them in?

I have built 8 Warwells (when they were in the Parkwood range) and I don't recall any dramas. 

I think I just used some plastic tube to augment the bogie bosses to the right size.  But it was a while ago, and I accept we all have different expectations.

Cheers

Ben A.

emjaybee

Quote from: Ben A on July 30, 2019, 06:20:53 PM

Hello all,

I think the NGS has a new products officer, so perhaps the OP could write up some improved instruction notes and send them in?

I have built 8 Warwells (when they were in the Parkwood range) and I don't recall any dramas. 

I think I just used some plastic tube to augment the bogie bosses to the right size.  But it was a while ago, and I accept we all have different expectations.

Cheers

Ben A.

The instructions are reasonably good. That's not really the problem I was having. I will make some notes however and pass them on.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

sg

Quote from: Ben A on July 30, 2019, 06:20:53 PM

Hello all,

Cheers

Ben A.
Might be a good subject for an article for the journal, dealing with the pins for the bogies and cutting away parts on the front and back of the wagon made this model a pain, + my fingers are less nimble than when I did military modelling or maybe it is just a scale issue as that was in 1/72.

Steven B

Am I imagining it, or did the old NGS website include a skill level indicator for each wagon kit? The shake the box Peco ones being the easiest with the etched brass Queen Mary brake van being one of the hardest.

Perhaps the idea needs resurrecting so expectations are better managed?

Steven

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Steven B on July 31, 2019, 09:22:27 AM
Am I imagining it, or did the old NGS website include a skill level indicator for each wagon kit? The shake the box Peco ones being the easiest with the etched brass Queen Mary brake van being one of the hardest.

Perhaps the idea needs resurrecting so expectations are better managed?

Steven

Hi

I think the handbook gives an idea of the complexity but I can't remember if the website did.

I also thought the instructions had a level of difficulty on them but obviously thats a bit late if you've already bought the kit by mail order.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Mr Sprue

Just out of interest do any of you plastic kit builders use some form of assembly jig?

ScottishModeller

Quote from: Mr Sprue on July 31, 2019, 01:33:47 PM
Just out of interest do any of you plastic kit builders use some form of assembly jig?
Hi there,

Yes - but I think I will be in a minority!

I started using jigs more years ago than I care to remember.

There was a time when these were essential as kits (generally speaking) were not as accurate or well designed as they are these days.

I hate to think how I would have assembeld some of the cast kits and got everything square without them.

Mine are a combination of metal and hardwood plus some ex motor trade measuring shims and sit on a piece of shelf glass.

I use one jig for all underframes to ensure all is square - both the chassis frame and across the bearing/axle housing.

The same jig can be used to ensure that bodies are assembled square.

Next time I use it I will take photos to show what I mean.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

RailGooner

Yep. I try to build in batches of five and make bespoke jigs for each model. Sometimes, I might even make jigs for a jig!

Mr Sprue

I think 123 blocks are a pretty good starting point along with small magnetic pates and maybe an angle bracket.

Skids

Just about to join the NGS with the intention of getting these kits. I have been a modeller for some time so not too worried about difficulty as I am hoping I can handle it.   :hmmm:

Just wondered how much do they sell for? (as not a member I cant see the price)

emjaybee

Quote from: Skids on August 06, 2020, 11:10:22 AM
Just about to join the NGS with the intention of getting these kits. I have been a modeller for some time so not too worried about difficulty as I am hoping I can handle it.   :hmmm:

Just wondered how much do they sell for? (as not a member I cant see the price)

I can't remember off hand, but they're not big money, and the range, the ever increasing range, of NGS kits is worth the membership fee.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

red_death

You don't need to be a member to see the kit prices - just go to ngsjoin.com and click on the menu item for Society products etc.

Cheers Mike

Roy L S

The kits are amazing value and they alone make joining the NGS worth every penny, but of course you get much more than that if you do!

Roy

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations