Connecting a Computer to a TV Ariel Socket

Started by ten0G, November 25, 2019, 10:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ten0G

:helpneededsign:

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I want to buy a computer to connect a TV socket.  Where do I start?! 

Currently I'm using a MacBook from 2010 which needs to be replaced by a computer with a larger display, about 24" seems to be about right. 

I don't necessarily need to stick to macOSx (unable to upgrade beyond v10.13.6) and I want to run MythTV to record TV programmes. 

Does anybody know what PCs I could consider, and what input socket(s) it would need to have please.   A desktop PC would be preferable. 

It's not an area I've had to deal with before. :-[

:thankyousign:

njee20

So you want to connect a PC to an aerial input to watch TV on the PC, basically?

You'll need a TV tuner card in the PC. Why would you not then just use a TV as the 'monitor'? A 32"+ TV will be far cheaper than an equivalent size monitor, and if you're watching TV the higher resolution and refresh rates of a monitor are unlikely to be hugely advantageous.

zwilnik

If you're using a Mac, this article covers the current options for TV tuner/recording devices.. https://machow2.com/best-tv-tuner-for-mac/ As you're using an older 2010 MacBook, any of the older Elgato eyeTV TV tuners is a really good option.

Displaying on a TV is pretty straightforward too. A display port -> HDMI adaptor will let you connect directly to a TV to use it as a 2nd display (or mirror the first one) or you can plug an AppleTV into the TV and use AirPlay to wirelessly mirror the screen (and or any iPhones or iPads you want) to the TV.

ten0G

Thanks Guys,

I don't have a TV, and urgently need to replace the MacBook as it can't be upgraded. 

I'd rather have a Windows machine now as it's of more use for layout planning software alternatives.  Also, the Mac's Safari browser doesn't run Netflix. 

My desk is only going to be about 5' or 6' long so it's a bit tight for space, which is why I've decided about 28" is the right size. 

This is supported by my experience using an even-older iMac which now can't run YouTube or iPlayer. 

Resolution doesn't seem to be a problem, based on my experience with the MacBook, it's just that a 13½" screen is too small now, especially as I don't need to fit it in an overnight bag any more (can't travel abroad due to medical problems). 

In actual fact, my current interest would mostly be watching Talking Pictures, most of which is monochrome anyway.  As well as public and railway information films from the Forties and Fifties, some of the old British films they show seem to be much more entertaining than today's offerings. 

chrism

Quote from: zwilnik on November 25, 2019, 11:09:48 PM
Displaying on a TV is pretty straightforward too. A display port -> HDMI adaptor will let you connect directly to a TV to use it as a 2nd display (or mirror the first one) or you can plug an AppleTV into the TV and use AirPlay to wirelessly mirror the screen (and or any iPhones or iPads you want) to the TV.

You can, or could last time I bought one, get combined TV/monitors with both an antenna input (with freeview tuner) and an RGB input.

Railwaygun

Quote from: ten0G on November 26, 2019, 09:37:26 AM

Also, the Mac's Safari browser doesn't run Netflix. 

chrome and Firefox both run Netflix on macs ( well on my 2018 Imac) - there are oder versions of the browsers available on the Web

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

zwilnik

Quote from: Railwaygun on November 26, 2019, 10:25:58 AM
Quote from: ten0G on November 26, 2019, 09:37:26 AM

Also, the Mac's Safari browser doesn't run Netflix. 

chrome and Firefox both run Netflix on macs ( well on my 2018 Imac) - there are oder versions of the browsers available on the Web

Safari runs Netflix fine on my iMac too. If you're running a much older version though, it's unlikely to be supported by Netflix.

ten0G

iMac's Safari can't be upgraded beyond v5.0.6 (pre-2013) - it's a pre-2009 model.   :-[

Also doesn't run Firefox or Chrome   :(

MacBook seems to have issues with browsers not garbage-collecting to free-up memory.  Often grinds to a halt necessitating a restart, especially with Netflix and Youtube. 

Other unwanted issues as well are encouraging me to switch back to Windows.   :'(

ten0G

Quote from: njee20 on November 25, 2019, 10:36:20 PM
So you want to connect a PC to an aerial input to watch TV on the PC, basically?

You'll need a TV tuner card in the PC.

So there would be no external TV tuner card options. 

In that case, what connection plug(s) will I need at the other end of the co-ax cable please? 

How easy is it to source PCs which include a tuner card option? 

Ideally, I'd be looking for something similar to an iMac & keyboard where everything is integral so I'd be grateful for any pointers regards brands/models, thanks. 

themadhippy

QuoteSo there would be no external TV tuner card options. 
Theres plenty that use the usb port ,either cheep ebay specials or from decent respected brands like http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/    there 1590 would be my choice as its 2 tuners,watch one channel whilst recording another or watch 2 different channels at the same time
QuoteI'd be looking for something similar to an iMac & keyboard where everything is integral so I'd be grateful for any pointers regards brands/models, thanks.
An all in one pc is the common name for such beasts,ive never had any isuse with lennova ,installed a few over the last year or 2,there touch screen,but take the abuse of controlling  lighting in a club and often left running 24/7
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

njee20

Assume you mean Lenovo? For ease of Googling.

Most seem to need a spare PCI slot, which isn't a given, particularly in an all-in-one PC where space is inherently more limited. A standard tower may be more likely.

The trouble you have is that this use case is, frankly, unusual! So most computers simply won't accommodate it off the shelf. I had a PC with a TV card in it, bought in 1997, not seen one since!

ntpntpntp

@njee20   yeah me too, I used to run a TV tuner card back in the late 90s, and I think the last thing I used was a Hauppauge USB digital TV stick.   

I gave them up a decade ago,  just as I have given up with PVR boxes etc. now that we have on-demand iPlayer etc. plus youtube, netflix etc.

You will need to have a TV licence if you plug an aerial into a tuner card or stick for the PC.

@ten0G  Seriously, you're better off getting a decent flat screen TV which will double up as a PC monitor.  That's the way I've worked for a very long time now in my hobby room, using picture-in-picture to have the TV programme in a corner of the PC desktop if I'm working on stuff and just want the TV in the background.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

zwilnik

Wwe
Quote from: ten0G on November 26, 2019, 11:58:02 AM
iMac's Safari can't be upgraded beyond v5.0.6 (pre-2013) - it's a pre-2009 model.   :-[

Also doesn't run Firefox or Chrome   :(

MacBook seems to have issues with browsers not garbage-collecting to free-up memory.  Often grinds to a halt necessitating a restart, especially with Netflix and Youtube. 

Other unwanted issues as well are encouraging me to switch back to Windows.   :'(
Well, they are 10 year old machines (and a system re-install will probably clear up the MacBook). So a new computer sounds a plan. If you do a bit of a system clean up on them there's still some 2nd hand value in them.

ten0G

Quote from: zwilnik on November 26, 2019, 07:32:33 PM
Well, they are 10 year old machines (and a system re-install will probably clear up the MacBook). So a new computer sounds a plan. If you do a bit of a system clean up on them there's still some 2nd hand value in them.

Thanks, probably not worth the effort though as the MacBook's touchpad doesn't function properly so I use a mouse, also it's a Japanese keyboard with a US-style layout. 

Not sure I can do a reinstall, can't properly remember setting it up.   :-[

Don't recall where the system discs for the iMac are either at present.   :confused2:

zwilnik

Quote from: ten0G on December 01, 2019, 03:17:57 PM
Quote from: zwilnik on November 26, 2019, 07:32:33 PM

Thanks, probably not worth the effort though as the MacBook's touchpad doesn't function properly so I use a mouse, also it's a Japanese keyboard with a US-style layout. 

Not sure I can do a reinstall, can't properly remember setting it up.   :-[

Don't recall where the system discs for the iMac are either at present.   :confused2:

Assuming it's been updated during its lifetime then the install disks would be fairly pointless anyway as they'd be a lower version of the OS than is set in the firmware. Normally you just download the latest compatible version from the App Store and install it via USB stick. (there's instructions online for how to change the update images into standalone bootable USB installation sticks). Maybe a cosmetic clean up, secure hard disk wipe and sell on as-is :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations