So was that winter?

Started by Papyrus, March 01, 2020, 08:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

I know some folks have had a pretty miserable time these last few weeks, and we've had a lot of rain too, fortunately no floods, but really, was that winter? Certainly, here in the deep south it feels as if we have had a 6-month autumn. We've had hardly any frosts and certainly nothing resembling snow. I can't ever remember going through a whole winter without once having to wear gloves or a warm jacket. All my thick jumpers stayed in their drawer and our winter duvet remains untroubled in its bag. In some ways I'm quite happy about it - after 42 years doing an outdoor job I came to hate the cold weather, but it feels... unnatural.

Enjoy spring, people.

Cheers,

Chris

chrism

Much the same here in South Cumbria - less than half a dozen frosts, and only a dusting or two of snow. The high fells are snow covered now, but they also were a few weeks ago but it all thawed.
We have had rather a lot of rain and strong winds though.

njee20

Agreed, I was having that conversation the other day. Literally a handful of frosty mornings. Bizarre. And windy. Very windy.

Newportnobby

Beware risking the wrath of the Weather Gods! :uneasy:
I've been to a post-TT motorcycle race meeting at Mallory Park in June and it snowed :o

Bealman

My favourite time of year here. Weather getting cooler with clear sunny days.

Especially after the horror summer we've had.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Trainfish

Quote from: Papyrus on March 01, 2020, 08:53:12 PM
.............. but really, was that winter?

Be careful what you wish for. Bearing in mind that it's only March 1st 2nd now this picture was taken from inside my car on March 3rd 2018:

And this one from outside my car on March 18th 2018:

This is a picture of my cat. I'm not sure when this was taken:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

BobB

This is my first winter since we moved to Russia. We were expecting it to be very cold for us after twenty five years of the warm temperatures of South Africa. In the event, we had a couple of days when I needed my nice fur lined boots and coat and the rest of the time it was just like a nice British autumn day.

The only downside is that we wanted really cold (normal) weather to determine if we needed better insulation in our new flat. Have to wait for the next winter I suppose !

I wonder if this has been significant for the spread of covid19 ?

Bealman

I'm intrigued as to why you've ended up in Russia after 25 years in South Africa..... work, I assume?

Sorry, I'm a sticky beak, you don't have to answer that.  :beers:

exmouthcraig

The met office have been threatening us with snow since November and reality is we have been underwater since October.

We still have 28 sandbags at the doors to the house because everytime we get more then 2hrs of rain, which is EVERYDAY at the moment the water rises to the 9" height we have had all winter.

The fields are absolutely saturated and there is nowhere for any of this to drain, consequently the run off is now greater and means we then have more and more standing water.

February has traditionally always been the worst weather of winter, our thinking is now we see 2 seasons in a year. Although winter 18/19 was wet it was definitely colder then this year and the summer was an absolute scorcher, as well as being decent for a great length of time.

It would indicate this year we are probably going to be between 5° and 20° all year with not much of a summer for all the office bods to whinge and moan about.

So predictions for 2020 weather,
above average rain for every month of the year
No red hot summer worth shouting about

All of this is my own belief, I have no ties to the met office or long range weather forecasts. I accept no responsibility for correct or incorrect information given or predicted.  :D

See you in 12months and see how wrong I was  :-[

railsquid

Quote from: BobB on March 02, 2020, 06:45:10 AM
I wonder if this has been significant for the spread of covid19 ?

The massive increase in international mobility in the last few years is the main factor in spreading this.

Back on topic, warmest winter on record here in Japan, quite a few ski resorts have gone under due to lack of snow.

Chris Morris

Ne'er cast a clout 'til May be out
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Chris Morris

The beast from the East a few years back came in March. I well remember spending half an hour digging snow off the drive to get out to see my newborn granddaughter seven years ago - her birthday is 24th March. It is very possible to get winter weather right through March.

The British weather varies so much depending upon which way the wind is blowing.  Although the summer of 1976 is remembered as the best summer ever (and indeed it was) there was a sudden heavy snowstorm at the beginning of June which actually caused roads around Birmingham to turn white over. The snow melted I think within a few minutes of the snowstorm stopping and then within a few days it was scorchio .

I well remember one Easter driving to Caister in the snow on the Thursday before Easter and spending Easter Sunday lying on the beach in the sun.

The Q

I certainly remember the snow in May / June  In the late 70's I was Living at RAF Coltishall at the time and they wouldn't turn the heating on in the barrack blocks as it hadn't been cold enough for long enough. Cost them a lot of Electricty though, as we all went out and bought electric fan heaters and used them illegally in the blocks..

According to Milancovitch cycles were are in a 30 year cooling cycle, I've a feeling at some delayed point the cycles will over come the global warming and we'll have a very bad winter..

Bealman

I'm amazed that this thread hasn't degenerated into climate change, which Australia seems obsessed with at the moment.

Chris Morris

Is there any need to discuss climate change? Although it is always difficult to separate just the normal unusual weather from changes to the climate I think there can be little doubt that the climate is changing and that human activity is playing a part on that change .  The only thing to discuss is how big a disaster is needed to get politicians around the world to decide that action is needed.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations