Are you a builder or operator?

Started by D1042 Western Princess, June 16, 2015, 02:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulprice

If you look at some of the stuff I have "bashed together" I would not say I'm a builder, more of an operating bodger  :scowl:

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: paulprice on June 29, 2015, 09:42:36 AM
If you look at some of the stuff I have "bashed together" I would not say I'm a builder, more of an operating bodger  :scowl:

:laughabovepost:  Sadly, I can't find an icon for 'snap'!  :D
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

paulprice

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on June 29, 2015, 09:46:03 AM

I would make us some badges so we could wear them with pride, but I dread to think how they would turn out, and how I would have to explain my inevitable injury to both the Domestic Overlord and the A& E Staff

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: paulprice on June 29, 2015, 09:48:47 AM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on June 29, 2015, 09:46:03 AM

I would make us some badges so we could wear them with pride, but I dread to think how they would turn out, and how I would have to explain my inevitable injury to both the Domestic Overlord and the A& E Staff

:laughabovepost:  :D

paulprice

In fact I think we should pity those Chaps that can effortlessly produce stunning models at the drop of a hat, I mean they are missing out on all the fun......... personally I love miss haps like super gluing parts to my fingers, setting my fingers on fire with soldering attempts, gluing my for to my shoe, and my all time favourite of putting a protective glove on my hand when paint spraying to stop myself getting covered with paint, only later to realise it works better on the hand holding the model, rather that the paint can

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: paulprice on June 29, 2015, 10:37:05 AM
.. personally I love miss haps like super gluing parts to my fingers,

You're lucky - I find superglue never actually 'glues' anything, even to my fingers! I once spent a whole 30 minutes trying to superglue a station bench kit together (there were only 4 parts) only to find once I tried to move it onto the platform it fell apart in my hand! :unimpressed:

Zogbert Splod

In fact I think we should pity those Chaps that can effortlessly produce stunning models at the drop of a hat, I mean they are missing out on all the fun.........
...and, they keep having to pick their hats up too!
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Only Me on June 29, 2015, 10:55:45 AM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on June 29, 2015, 10:43:21 AM
.. personally I love miss haps like super gluing parts to my fingers,

You're lucky - I find superglue never actually 'glues' anything, even to my fingers! I once spent a whole 30 minutes trying to superglue a station bench kit together (there were only 4 parts) only to find once I tried to move it onto the platform it fell apart in my hand! :unimpressed:

You are buying the wrong stuff then.... I have never failed to glue my fingers together!!..

This is the Ferrari of them :-

http://www.railroomelectronics.co.uk/Adhesives-Glue-s-Paint-s/Super-Glues/Page1.aspx

Buying the wrong stuff" - the story of my life. :'(
But thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Portpatrick

I enjoy both.  Building Portpatrick, and making minor changes over the years, has been fun.  But so was constructing a sequence derived from timetables for the Stranraer area.  And operating it at shows is the icing.  Now planning a more contemporary layout as a basis for some of my more current Scottish DMUs.

Meanwhile have finished the Ultima LMS 42ft CCT kit.  and making good progress on 10001.  3 Thompson non corr coaches await my attentions.  Lots to build.  And I have a spare Langley B1 body which I am looking at , thinking the Scottish fleet of K2s.  So building stock as well.

Basinga

Going by the fact that my layout still hasn't progressed very far, and yet a lot of time has been put into testing my locos on a simple loop, I guess it could be said I'm more an operator than a builder...

Saying that though, once I get a decent soldering iron, I think the building will happen a bit faster...

dannyboy

I started off wanting to be an 'operator'. I built my coffee table, (I have always enjoyed using wood), and then thought about the actual layout. Using some of the excellent advice and tips, ( :thankyousign:), on this forum, I have got my track laid, have the points, (or should that be 'turnouts'?), all operating by means of WIT, the wire being fastened to toggle switches, which in turn operate an LED when, (in what I call),  the 'on' position. I have soldered track and droppers, have a separate DC circuit for when I put in street lights etc., and have done some scenic work. All of which I am enjoying. So, although I started out wanting to be an 'operator', I think I am turning into a 'builder'. (Fortunately, SWMBO is quite understanding  :) and it is fun).  ;D  David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: dannyboy on June 30, 2015, 12:50:12 AM

have the points, (or should that be 'turnouts'?)

I think I can answer that with help from the actual Rule Book worked to by BR, AND the privatised railways, since. I quote from the April 1995 edition of the British Rail Rule Book (Appendix 14/Section 3) which was still current when I retired last year.

"3. Points. Securing unworked Points".

It then goes on (at length) about points. Unsecured points, secured points and making many other points about points ad infinitum  :sleep:!

In British usage the term 'point' is the correct and railwaylike expression in this case.
Turnout refers more to the number of people voting in an election.

However, abroad, overseas, in foreign lands they use 'turnout' in the way we British use the word 'point'  :confused1: and thus when Peco and other companies began to sell their track abroad (particularly in the USA) they adopted the word 'turnouts' for the points to avoid confusion (except in the UK where it caused, and still does cause, confusion, as in your case :confused2:.
Having said that our friends in the colonies, er sorry, I mean Commonwealth  :-[, might still refer to 'points' since their railways were constructed mainly by the British. I feel certain one of our Australian friends will correct me if I'm wrong.

Of course, many older railwaymen on the PW side still refer to 'leads' (as in the point 'leading' to another route) but I do not believe the term ever gained common usage outside the industry, indeed outside the PW department and is gradually dying out completely.

So, to sum up, BOTH terms are understood in the UK modeller's world but ONLY 'point' is absolutely, unquestionably the proper term in BRITISH use, a fact backed by the railway Rule Book.

I hope this solves your problem.

Greg.

Sprintex

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on June 30, 2015, 07:04:11 AM
However, abroad, overseas, in foreign lands they use 'turnout' in the way we British use the word 'point'  :confused1: and thus when Peco and other companies began to sell their track abroad (particularly in the USA) they adopted the word 'turnouts' for the points to avoid confusion . . .

Except it gets more confusing because in the USA they also call them 'switches' ;)

Paul

paulprice

lets just call them, tracky changey things

dannyboy

"have the points, (or should that be 'turnouts'?)"

Thanks to Western Princess and Sprintex for clarifying that 'point' (sorry!).  ;D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations