Interesting train formations

Started by port perran, May 09, 2014, 09:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GScaleBruce

Typical DB local passenger formation. The 6 wheeler "Umbauwagen" or "rebuild" coaches were pretty ubiquitous with some 6,500 being built (according to Wikipedia, anyway!), as were the bogie coaches.

Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on May 11, 2014, 12:41:45 PM
Yeah, that's what I got on me phone, but it's OK on my laptop. Geez, Mick - I went out of my mind countin' - how many? Nineteen?

Yup - I wish I had more but I took County Rolling Stock's entire stock a couple of years ago and haven't found any since. Problem is, they only carry Richard's stock number - CRS003W

port perran

This is (hopefully) my very first video download to the forum so here goes :
[img width=528 height=432]

Hopefully you see my Hymek passing through the station on a short parcels train. Sorry about the wobbly bit at the end and for some reason I have no sound but I'll try to investigate that.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

d-a-n

I like to try to recreate rakes I've seen in books or on the internet. I like block trains but as I've read up on 1980s freight, I'm building a wish list for recreating some of the more unusual mixtures of wagons/lengths of trains. I wish the 31 would come out already for this!! Descriptions of the rake are attached to each photo.

The classic 1970s/80s 'train set' short carriage formation, not too first-class heavy up front, brake at the end (the proper way round!)

[smg id=12367]

A bit heavier 'train set' carriage formation with a BG up front and some type four traction. Begging for a FO/FK to be put between the BG and CK and a few more SO/SKs put in the mix. Maybe a buffet car too...Let's see what blue/grey mk1's my duchess train pack brings.

[smg id=12370]

A mixed 1970s parcels train, I wish Farish would release more of the blue GUVs as most images depict about 4 or 5 of these in a rake (and sometimes it's just a rake of these with the odd BG thrown in.)

[smg id=12374]

A 1986 parcels train based on a photograph in Br Blue 5 by John Dedman.

[smg id=12375]

A TPO formation as described by Karhedron on RM web "2000 Cardiff - Crewe and 0147 return in the late 70s/early 80s which ran as BSK, BCK, POS, BG."

[smg id=12373]

I'm still deciding what period freight to put behind my WD, it'll most likely be one of each of the weathered triple packs like these vans.

[smg id=12372]

1970s scrap train of fitted and unfitted rusty 16t mineral wagons.

[smg id=12371]

Mid 1980s PCA block train (just before the third marker lights were introduced)

[smg id=12376]

Mid 1980s Railfreight/Speedlink train (just before the third marker lights were introduced)

[smg id=12377]

Late 1980s Railfreight/Speedlink train mixed up with some more private owner air-braked stock.

[smg id=12378]

Late 1980s/Early 1990s TTA wagon train.

[smg id=12368]

Late 1980s (if you can ignore the Caib logos)/Early 1990s Yeoman stone train.

[smg id=12369]

By breaking up the block trains down to just a few wagons, I can have a rake of mixed wagons with lots of easi-shunts along it which makes shunting this kind of train quite fun.

port perran

That's great and thanks for all those photos.
Really interesting  formations there - have fun running them all. It would be great to see a really long mixed freight behind that WD.

johnlambert

Nice photos d-a-n, thanks for those.  I was trying to get a photo together of a mixed mk1 and mk2 cross country train based on a formation I heard described.  But I couldn't get it all in shot and clear enough, I may have to try again.

Chris

My personal fave - double headed 37s on 35 16t coal boxes plus brake - typical 1970s coal train (courtesy of Shaun's George Street II layout):

George Street II - N Gauge DCC Layout 19/03/2014

And some typical modern era freights from the recent archives:

Old Warren Parkway *Final Video* - 70006 at night

Old Warren TMD - N Gauge Layout - Update 13/06/2012

Dorsetmike

On my now dismantled layout an ex LSWR Adams A12 0-4-2 on a train of vans

[smg id=6549]
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

port perran

Thanks Chris for those excellent videos of Old Warren. I particularly like the double headed 37s on a truly impressive train.  Excellent and professional looking videography as well.
And Dorset Mike I really like the mixed parcels vans with the Adams A12.
Thanks both for sharing those.

portland-docks

with mine being a preserved railway, i run the following trains:-

7x Crimson/cream mk1s
7x LNER Teak
7x BR Gresleys
18x 16t mineral wagons + 2 brakevans
7x Choc/cream Collets
6x TPO

the interesting one is the dining train...
1x Metcam Pullman brake
2x Mk1 Pullman
1x converted restaurant first (to form a pullman)
3x choc/ cream mk1s

then theres a mixed rake of suburbans, mixed rake of gresleys/ teaks, and anything else left over!
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

port perran

Right........here's a short video of 3 trains running. My video skills are not good so apologies in advance.
What we have is the daily seasonal broccoli special running through from Lanharrack to Truro (on the main branch line) and hence up country (as we say down here). This is the longest train that I run.
This is followed by a Class 22 (on the inner goods loop) with a train of felled wood destined for the sawmills beyond Lanharrack.
This is followed by an 08 on a local pick up freight destined for Port Peran from Lanharrack.
[img width=528 height=432]

joe cassidy

Quote from: port perran on May 13, 2014, 08:03:34 PM
Right........here's a short video of 3 trains running. My video skills are not good so apologies in advance.
What we have is the daily seasonal broccoli special running through from Lanharrack to Truro (on the main branch line) and hence up country (as we say down here).

Has anyone on this forum modelled watercress traffic in the heyday of the "watercress line" ?

Step forward Mr. Boydon !

Best regards,

Joe

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: port perran on May 13, 2014, 08:03:34 PM
What we have is the daily seasonal broccoli special running through from Lanharrack to Truro (on the main branch line) and hence up country (as we say down here). This is the longest train that I run.

Normally I can't stand broccoli, but I quite enjoyed that :)

Newportnobby

Nice vid, Martin :thumbsup:
Although I nearly had a heart attack at 0.59sec :o

port perran

Quote from: newportnobby on May 13, 2014, 08:42:41 PM
Nice vid, Martin :thumbsup:
Although I nearly had a heart attack at 0.59sec :o
Sorry - don't know what happened there. It was just before I hit the switch for the point motor !

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations