Interesting train formations

Started by port perran, May 09, 2014, 09:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

I'm sure I'm not alone on this forum in that I like to set up authentic (and some non authentic) train formations.
For instance I have various parcel train formations, an engineering train, mixed goods, school train, branchline milk, granite train etc etc.
Just wondering if it might be an idea to photograph interesting formations and share them on here whether they be steam era, BR diesel or modern image.
If people are interested then feel free to add photos to this thread. It might give others inspiration ??
Just a thought.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

d-a-n

I'd recommend a series of books called 'BR Blue'. I have no. 3 - Freight in the 1980's and no. 5 - Passenger and Parcels by John Dedman, they've got loads of good quality, well annotated images of the consists of short freight trains in the 1980's over many areas of the UK. There's a real wealth of images in all of them so I'm ordering No. 6 - Train Formations very soon!

Karhedron

A mixed train consisting of the pick-up goods behind an ex-GWR auto-train.

0-4-2T 1411 near Spade Oak Crossing with the 3.20 p.m. mixed train from Marlow 24 May 1954
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

GScaleBruce

Quote from: d-a-n on May 09, 2014, 10:24:36 PM
I'd recommend a series of books called 'BR Blue'. I have no. 3 - Freight in the 1980's and no. 5 - Passenger and Parcels by John Dedman, they've got loads of good quality, well annotated images of the consists of short freight trains in the 1980's over many areas of the UK. There's a real wealth of images in all of them so I'm ordering No. 6 - Train Formations very soon!
Thanks for the tip. A Google search reveals that John Dedman has some interesting albums on Flickr too... as I spent a few formative years in the Southampton area in the BR blue period I particularly enjoyed his first album!
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

port perran

Quote from: Karhedron on May 09, 2014, 10:31:22 PM
A mixed train consisting of the pick-up goods behind an ex-GWR auto-train.

0-4-2T 1411 near Spade Oak Crossing with the 3.20 p.m. mixed train from Marlow 24 May 1954

Nice picture but I'm not sure my 14XX could cope with that lot !  Manages the autocoach OK but I think it would struggle with the pick up goods wagons on the back.

port perran

I think I may have confused people with the original post  ??? :confused1:
I was suggesting that we might share pictures of interesting train formations on our layouts.

Newportnobby

Whether we model freelance or prototype, I venture to suggest we all try and run 'a typical rake' either from knowledge or (faded) memories, so personally I'd allow both to get the maximum flow of info each way. Just my ruminations :hmmm:

Karhedron

I am inclined to agree. We can run whatever we want on our layouts but if it is not informed by prototype practice then it is just playing trains.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

johnlambert

It is quite hard to fit in a whole train and I need to remove the Perspex screen really but this is one of my favourite formations.  Typical of local services in the Warwickshire area it is a set of BR 57-foot Mk1 suburban coaches; composite, brake second and second open.  It feels odd not having a brake coach at each end but the formation is correct.  Pity about the big gaps between the coaches...

Hopefully it will get the ball rolling anyway.

port perran

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of and it looks good. Thanks for "getting the ball rolling".

Newportnobby

The layout has changed a bit, but here's my weathered Farish WD with a rake of Dapol weathered hoppers (note to self, weather the guards van!)

[IMG]

port perran

That is a mighty impressive train

johnlambert

I can't see the picture, just a blank space and a lonely "[IMG]" tag at the bottom. :(

scotsoft

Quote from: johnlambert on May 11, 2014, 12:03:55 PM
I can't see the picture, just a blank space and a lonely "[IMG]" tag at the bottom. :(

Hi John,

If you can't see the picture, try clicking on the lonely "[IMG]"  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Bealman

Yeah, that's what I got on me phone, but it's OK on my laptop. Geez, Mick - I went out of my mind countin' - how many? Nineteen?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations