Slow, slow, quick, quick, slow

Started by Newportnobby, June 22, 2018, 08:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

I think that the way members use the forum is a factor, too.

Here in Australia, I am going to bed when forum activity becomes heavy. When I wake up, I have multiple email notifications from the forum.

I delete them all from my emails!

I know that when I get on the forum, I'll see them all anyway!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Only Me on November 13, 2018, 11:49:09 PM
Every time this pops up i check and cant find an issue, somaybe it is the geographical region however more likely the isp or the area

And as I keep saying I have no issues with any other website so maybe the geographical region or isp doesn't like the forum. I would perhaps agree if I had issues elsewhere but I don't. How about @Lawrence ?

Lawrence

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 14, 2018, 12:51:21 PM
Quote from: Only Me on November 13, 2018, 11:49:09 PM
Every time this pops up i check and cant find an issue, somaybe it is the geographical region however more likely the isp or the area

And as I keep saying I have no issues with any other website so maybe the geographical region or isp doesn't like the forum. I would perhaps agree if I had issues elsewhere but I don't. How about @Lawrence ?

I was at work (Dundee) yesterday when it was so slow I gave up, at home (Fife) it can be really hit and miss and there seems no rhyme or reason for it. I would expect some drop in bandwidth in the evenings when folks are home streaming stuff etc but we have (up to) 36mB fibre now and have no issues at all, in all honesty, in the evening we probably have 2 phones, 2 tablets a laptop and SWMBO streaming on the TV all connected no issues, then if I go on the forum it is a bit of a lottery. As others have said, not really noticed problems with other sites.

Newportnobby

Strangely since I last moaned there has been excellent speed on the forum so I can only assume @Only Me has put another thrupenny bit in the meter :D

Yet_Another

If only it were so.

A bit like wading through treacle this evening.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Newportnobby

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 15, 2018, 01:17:09 PM
I can only assume @Only Me has put another thrupenny bit in the meter :D

Just goes to show thruppence goes nowhere nowadays ::)

Lawrence

I don't want to be an arse about this but someone has to ask, what is being done to resolve these issues?
Many of us have experienced the wading through treacle accessibility issues as mentioned earlier, and more frequently, so what needs to be done to fix it? Do we need greater financing to provide a better server/greater bandwidth? Do we need to move to a new format because SMF can't handle the membership/traffic in this format.

MacRat

Today about 15h German time, I experienced a slight hesitance of the forum to load and put the forum start page into a web performance tester https://www.webpagetest.org/ with the default settings.

https://www.webpagetest.org/result/181122_M6_ac6426a8f2dc7784e98b4370a8ba0411/
The fully loaded time was 8 seconds. After DNS and connection the html loading took 3.2 seconds for the first byte to load.

The current test about 19h German time, with the same test settings, took only 0.6 seconds for the first byte and fully loaded in about 4 seconds. https://www.webpagetest.org/result/181122_CG_ce72a620ab0a025360f2630bb1836b76/
All subsequent requests for the images are all about 100ms to 200ms faster, than the first test.

As the same test server was used, and the DNS and connection times are comparable, I would conclude that there is evidence that the speed of the actual serving of the forum content is different in the range of seconds. However, this does not automatically mean the forum software itself has an issue. Maybe the hosting company is just running other things on the same machine.

As a sidenote, I found it interesting, that the forum start page is 88.8% images and only 2% html, i.e. content.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations