Slow, slow, quick, quick, slow

Started by Newportnobby, June 22, 2018, 08:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

No problem here in High Wycombe ,it was a bit slow on Friday in Ipswich but that I think was down to the internet at the Premier Inn ,we couldn't even get either of our phones to work on O2 or T-Mobile lady on the desk said it's a very up and down signal for phones .
Bob Tidbury

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 12, 2018, 10:33:25 AM
You're probably as tired of reading this as I am in typing it

I have no issues with my e mail system, model shop sites, BBC weather or the Kawasaki Club forum etc
The interwebby can be very frustrating , sorry to hear that your problems are persisting !
Perhaps your other sites dont have as much traffic to shift ! <no no  not really, just a feeble attempt at a joke :)
That would suggest a problem with Ngauge, but if we (the rest of us) are not seeing it it would suggest that it is not !!!!
Weird, needs some more digging I think, for example :--

When one of these hiatuses (hiatii ?) happens have you done a generalised speed test, (Google "Speed test", many are available, take an average of them )
http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/ seems to be consistent and is the one my ISP uses to problem solve.
It would at least give a more stable idea of traffic to shift.

Now we get a bit geekish :---
Those speed sites will also give you a MS reading (millisecond response time to its chosen test site) note it during the good times and bad.

Do you know how to raise a cmd prompt ?*
Then do a ping test to the Ngauge server*. and compare it with the general speed result and also with when Ngauge is performing ok.

* * I wont go on at length just now, if you want more (like how to find the Ngauge IP to ping) I can do, but also I am sure our boffins will be able to advise you at length better.

MalcolmInN

PS I should have attached this, currently Ngauge is showing 24ms, which is pdq :) ( I think, what do others see ? )

C:\>ping 94.126.40.39

Pinging 94.126.40.39 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 94.126.40.39: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=53
Reply from 94.126.40.39: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=53
Reply from 94.126.40.39: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=53
Reply from 94.126.40.39: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 94.126.40.39:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 24ms

Newportnobby

You completely lost me after the first 'The.......', Malcolm.
My speed on BT Infinity fibre optic is not great but other sites don't seem to be affected and I'd expect them to be if it was a general thing. Likewise when kids get home from school is not a particularly good time to be surfing. I don't feel like paying BT any more to upgrade, though. :no:

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 12, 2018, 04:11:02 PM
You completely lost me after the first 'The.......'
I dont know how to follow that then !

I was trying to determine if anything else changes when the forum fails,,,,  to narrow down some avenues to explore you see :(

Sorry I couldnt help.

Newportnobby

@MalcolmInN
Using your OOkia speed test I get 24.1mbps upload and 8.4mbps download with an ms of 14.
This is as much gibberish to me as electrickery is :dunce:

MalcolmInN

Ok so far so good, (except I think you have reversed the up and down ! :) )
and now you know more than me cos I dint realise that "my" one is also hosted by Ookla !! :) Yes Ookla, in its normal guise, is quite consistent.

All we need to do now is wait for the forum to go wrong on you and then you do it all again and see if owt changes in those numbers.

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 12, 2018, 04:11:02 PMpaying BT any more to upgrade, though. :no:
If it is any help :
(a) 24 Mbs is more than good enough for surfing and foruming so no need to up the BT fibre ante for that.
I have not got infinity fibre and my 5.5 is good enough.
(b) 13ms is better than mine (24 see earlier, of which ~20 is just to reach my ISP !) so no probs there either.

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 12, 2018, 09:50:10 PM
This is as much gibberish to me as electrickery is :dunce:
but you can use a switch to turn the lights on ! Same deal with the interwebby, look at you you did a speed test ! Almost a geek already  ;D

Malc

I must admit that the forum speed is very variable. I sometimes get a very slow response when posting or selecting "show unread posts". My network speed is generally about 120Mbytes download speed.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Malc on November 12, 2018, 10:58:36 PM
get a very slow response when posting or selecting “show unread posts”.
At those times what does Traceroute show ?  C:\>tracert 94.126.40.39

I was petrified of suggesting that to NPR after his reaction to the rest of my gibberish !

Shropshire Lad

It's definitely the forum Mick. My router monitors the incoming broadband speed and the WiFi mesh signal neither of which change dramatically. Worth the occasional hesitancy once you realise you haven't got a problem with your kit 😀

Malc

Unfortunately Malcolm, I use an iPad usually and not a PC. Next time I notice a slowing down, i'll Nip up to my office and check.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Lawrence

I gave up around 08:30 this morning, forum just wouldn't load

Newportnobby

What brasses me off is when I think to myself "I have an hour to spare before I go out so I'll get on the forum" and then find it so slow I accomplish nothing before I have to depart ::)

Bealman

No problems here but then I am upside down
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

dannyboy

Not exactly the same problem, but for some notifications of posts, it is taking ages for the notification to get to me. As an example, the notification of the above post by NPN timed at 10.24pm. was received by me at 2225. Yet the notification of the post prior to NPN, by Lawrence, timed at 8.24pm, was not received by me until 2355!  ???. This happens regularly, i.e. posts taking an hour or two to be notified to me, or being received out of sequence. It is not a big problem, but a bit annoying when I follow a link in a notification only to find it is a post I have already read. I know I am not the only one experiencing this problem, Daffy also had the problem. (25th October). I also remarked on this problem back in July.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations