In a heightist world, this makes me so happy

Started by Bob G, August 13, 2020, 03:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

At a towering height of 5'1, I've suffered height discrimination most of my life, despite all my qualifications and experience.
Not that anyone would admit to it, of course.
So I have just had to get on with proving my worth and doing what I believed was right.

In the end I got myself a stunning wife who is 5'8 before she wears any heels - and I look like Bernie Eccleston with her. Smug!

So, you can't imagine how happy I was to see this in the Manchester Evening News:

Tall People are more at risk of catching coronavirus due to "aerosol transmission"

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/tall-people-more-risk-catching-18674866

Poor Aerosols.

Bob

Newportnobby

I've never come across 'heightism' in all my 67 years of life. Can you cite some examples?

Bob G

That question immediately makes me feel awkward, but it is mostly in a competitive business environment, where there are lots of alpha males competing for attention.

Another situation is in groups. I'm great conversing one to one, face to face, or standing at a podium (usually to one side of the podium) and addressing a whole conference centre, but in a pub, where everyone in the group is standing up, the conversation literally goes over the top of my head.

Bob

grumbeast

Its swings and roundabouts for anyone that isn't a statistical mean height

I'm 6'4' but hardly an Alpha male, I used to live in a 450yr old cottage and have an almost permanent mark on my forehead from braining myself on the various door frames and beams that intersected my head height! :)

on a more serious note, My Daughter is a Ballet Dancer and at 5'8 (at 13!!) some of the more traditional Ballet schools will happily discriminate against a tall girl, simply because of their outdated ideas of ideal and she's lost out several times because of it.

So I think questions of height discrimination are entirely contextual

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 13, 2020, 03:59:41 PM
I've never come across 'heightism' in all my 67 years of life. Can you cite some examples?

nearest I can think of is forming up a flight.
first thing is 'fall in in a single line - tallest on the left shortest on the right.

and yes, I was right marker on my pass out parade  :-[

joe cassidy

I sympathise with you Bob.

The only avantage of being small is not needing so much leg room in an aeroplane.

Philip.

Quote from: Bob G on August 13, 2020, 03:39:37 PM

So, you can't imagine how happy I was to see this in the Manchester Evening News:

Tall People are more at risk of catching coronavirus due to "aerosol transmission"

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/tall-people-more-risk-catching-18674866

Poor Aerosols.

Bob

At 6'2" I'm quite upset that you'd be happy if I caught Covid19, thanks a bunch  ???

Bob G

Quote from: Philip. on August 13, 2020, 05:11:04 PM

At 6'2" I'm quite upset that you'd be happy if I caught Covid19, thanks a bunch  ???

It was a bit tongue in cheek, after all I made it to 59 living amongst giants :)

tutenkhamunsleeping

I prefer shorter folk, they may not notice I'm bald ;)

Roy L S

Does that mean that short people are more suceptible to arse*ole transmission??? Pffft!

Reaches for coat...

(and holds breath - 5ft 8 I probably fall into the short category).

Bob G

Quote from: grumbeast on August 13, 2020, 04:27:13 PM
Its swings and roundabouts for anyone that isn't a statistical mean height
I think questions of height discrimination are entirely contextual

I think you are right, but then most discrimination is contextual, isn't it?

Newportnobby

Quote from: Philip. on August 13, 2020, 05:11:04 PM
Quote from: Bob G on August 13, 2020, 03:39:37 PM

Poor Aerosols.

Bob

It's why I rated it with a thumbs down, too.
I did take it as being somewhat tongue in cheek

Chris Morris

As a bloke of 5ft 1.5in I agree that heightism does indeed exist. It's just something you have to live with and get on with things regardless. There have been so many occasions when I have stood up at an event and some smart Alec has shouted "stand up, oh you are ". That stupid comment immediately detracts from what I have to say. I usually just retort " how clever, I've never heard that before" as a slap down.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

stevewalker

I think being short is worse for men than women. I am a comfortable 5'10" while my wife has shrunk a little due to health conditions and dropped from 5'1" to 4'11" The only problems she experiences is not being able to reach items on high shelves (both at home and when shopping) - and comments from me about being able to sleep across the bed  :D Short men seem to be much more looked down upon (pun intended), especially by some women. My eldest son unfortunately looks likely to be a fair bit below average height and possibly my youngest too, although the middle one looks like he'll be around the average.

Trainfish

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 13, 2020, 03:59:41 PM

The police 'force' used to have heightism. Before I left school I wanted to be a copper at 1 point. Unfortunately they insisted on a miminum height of 5' 8" for men and 5' 6" for women if I remember correctly. I wasn't sure |I'd make 5' 8" so I became a hairy arsed electrician instead, no height resticyions there. I also thought about being a motor mechanic but I forgot about that one night.

Doesn't seem to matter now:

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations