How is the N gauge market doing?

Started by Chris Morris, August 12, 2020, 08:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmac

Quote from: njee20 on August 13, 2020, 08:59:53 AM
I think the membership of this group will be very similar to that of the NGS, but that's not much use when trying to encourage new people into the hobby. The whole point of a Thomas range is to encourage 'new blood', and for that it's irrelevant what the current demographic looks like.

I'd personally say, with the ubiquity of Thomas the Tank Engine, any 'rival' series, particularly if produced with the express intention of driving sales of N gauge models would be a total flop. I've never seen anything associated with the Railway Children, TTTE is a bit of juggernaut in this respect.

Also, whilst the 'Thomas' market is huge, I'm not sure there's much overlap between N gauge modelling and the key Thomas demographic, which is probably under 8 (ish, that's a bit arbitrary). I think the key markets for Thomas (and equivalents) remains the toy market - wooden trains and the like. I'm not sure I'd expect to see a manufacturer really growing their segment from investing in a Thomas line.

i totally agree. 
i worked as a vol in the i o wight steam railway gift shop--and we had a significant display of thomas kids toys--and it sold well.

on the other hand--the lovely display cabinets of n gauge locos just stood there--rarely opened.

i dont think any toys designed for young children should ever require a mains transformer.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

njee20

My 3 year old will also drive his wooden Thomas models on just about anything, the kitchen floor, a restaurant table, whatever. He has a circle of Unitrack and I do give him some of my stock to play with (we've had a few casualties, but he's pretty good!), but it's just a bit fiddly for him to set up completely on his own, which means you need an adult who's at least partially invested. That's never going to change, and it's not really about the basis of the stock. He's currently got a Freightliner 86 and some container flats, he wouldn't enjoy a Thomas any more I don't think!

Mike Hamilton

As a newbie to the hobby (nearly four years),  I’m just a little too young to remember steam.  I’m just turned 59.  I find N Gauge, for want of a better word, “infuriating”.  If as the manufactures state that their locos are end user serviceable, why the heck do they not provide decent and accurate instructions with their models and why the heck are they so fragile and often enough pigs to open up to fit a DCC chip?

Why is it that the quality control so is poor?  I’ve bought 5 new locos this year and four have been problematic, in so much as having to return them to the shop and get my money back.  The last one I bought was the Farish Class 3.  A total heap and had to exchange it three times and still couldn’t get one which ran half decently.

If manufacturers want to encourage new blood to the hobby irrespective of their age, why don’t they produce more well known examples such as Evening Star or Blue Peter for example?  It’s safe and familiar ground for those considering entering the hobby.

I’d like to buy better known named locos, but I don’t want to buy 40 year old Minitrix locos or pizza cutter Poole era Farish models.

There are four bricks and mortar model railway shops in my locality (East Anglia) I visit and they are all carrying less and less N Gauge locos and rolling stock.  The Graham Farish display cabinets have more dust, spiders and empty spaces in them than locos, which I do find dispiriting.

We are contemplating moving house in the next couple of years and when we do come to move I’ll be seriously considering ditching N Gauge for a gauge that’s more forgiving, less expensive, reliable and more readily available  - not too sure what scale as it depends upon the house we move to.

I think in answer to the question as to how N Gauge market is going, personally I don’t think it’s doing very well at all.

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde

Bealman

Unfortunately, it's a question of changing prototypes, and going with Kato, be they Japanese or American.  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

... or European, plenty of high quality brands to choose from  :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

longbow

It is frustrating that new N Gauge stock is in short supply. But between Rails, Hattons, eBay and DCC Supplies' Dapol outlet, there is a regular supply of used N Gauge stock at prices well below new releases. Initially I was wary about buying 2H, but I have had fewer duds this way than buying new - it seems that previous owners do a better QC job than the manufacturers.

Steven B

I've never seen anything associated with the Railway Children, TTTE is a bit of juggernaut in this respect.

Funny you should say that - Dapol have a Pannier Tank in Railway Children GN&S Rly livery in their current catalogue, - due first quarter of 2021.

Steven B.

Bigmac

i first started in n gauge in my early 20's  and soon had acquired all the brit outline models available--and a few white metal blobs as well.  we were grateful for whatever we could get.  now ive returned to the hobby--the new models just amaze me--the detail is exquisite. i would be very angry if i had laid out 160 quid on a brand new loco and found it faulty.  at 50-60 quid second hand its a risk i take..but so far only had a couple not so good.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

njee20

Quote from: Steven B on August 13, 2020, 11:09:46 AM
I've never seen anything associated with the Railway Children, TTTE is a bit of juggernaut in this respect.

Funny you should say that - Dapol have a Pannier Tank in Railway Children GN&S Rly livery in their current catalogue, - due first quarter of 2021.

Well there we go! To be fair, I would have been better saying that I wouldn't recognise anything from the Railway Children!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Mike Hamilton on August 13, 2020, 10:19:55 AM

If manufacturers want to encourage new blood to the hobby irrespective of their age, why don't they produce more well known examples such as Evening Star or Blue Peter for example?  It's safe and familiar ground for those considering entering the hobby.
I'd like to buy better known named locos, but I don't want to buy 40 year old Minitrix locos or pizza cutter Poole era Farish models.

We are contemplating moving house in the next couple of years and when we do come to move I'll be seriously considering ditching N Gauge for a gauge that's more forgiving, less expensive, reliable and more readily available  - not too sure what scale as it depends upon the house we move to.

As far as the second paragraph goes I think it rules out everything but Brio ;)

As to the first, Dapol made 2 versions of the 2-10-0 Evening Star - ND-090 in green and 2D-013-003 in weathered black along with a class 66 of the same name if 'Sheds' are your bag 2D-007-005. Farish 372-388 was their Blue Peter in green.
Of course, many models need to be snapped up when released or the second hand market is what's left

Mike Hamilton

A decent set of instructions wouldn't do any harm whatsoever and wouldn't cost much or take much effort to produce.  Not everyone has the knowledge of how to take a loco apart to fit a chip.  I Know I don't, especially when the instructions bear no semblance whatsoever to the loco you've shelled out your hard earned dish for.

I think you misunderstood my statement about collecting 'sheds'.
What I was trying to say was, it doesn't encourage newcomers to the hobby to find that their favourite locos are only available second hand or old tooling.  You say Dapol made 2 versions etc. but I'm talking about today not the dim and distant past.

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 13, 2020, 03:53:33 PM

If manufacturers want to encourage new blood to the hobby irrespective of their age, why don't they produce more well known examples such as Evening Star or Blue Peter for example?  It's safe and familiar ground for those considering entering the hobby.
I'd like to buy better known named locos, but I don't want to buy 40 year old Minitrix locos or pizza cutter Poole era Farish models.

We are contemplating moving house in the next couple of years and when we do come to move I'll be seriously considering ditching N Gauge for a gauge that's more forgiving, less expensive, reliable and more readily available  - not too sure what scale as it depends upon the house we move to.

As far as the second paragraph goes I think it rules out everything but Brio ;)

As to the first, Dapol made 2 versions of the 2-10-0 Evening Star - ND-090 in green and 2D-013-003 in weathered black along with a class 66 of the same name if 'Sheds' are your bag 2D-007-005. Farish 372-388 was their Blue Peter in green.
Of course, many models need to be snapped up when released or the second hand market is what's left
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde

njee20

Obviously it depends what you classify as the dim and distant past, but we're talking about the current generation model, which is still available with different running numbers.

You're just in the wrong hobby if you want constant availability, sadly. Models are batch produced. This is the same for N or OO, which really is the only viable alternative if you want a more 'mainstream' equivalent (certainly you won't find more availability with O, or 009 or similar). It's not cheaper though, and requires more space. If you want to be able to walk into a shop and pick up a specific model it's just not the reality that exists. I spent all of 30 seconds looking, but there's no widely available OO gauge Evening Star or Blue Peter either. And what once you've bought those? The manufacturers need to cater for a market which wants more than the 'celebrity' locos - so you need other 9Fs or A2s, and this is where we are now...

Try and find an HO scale AC-12 cab forward from the US, or a French TGV SE or myriad other examples, it's just a niche hobby sadly, and I don't think we can judge success on how much is available in shops.

Leon

I think in answer to the question as to how N Gauge market is going, personally I don't think it's doing very well at all.

Mike, I agree with most of what you say but I don't have enough experience to accept your judgement about N Gauge. I can only repeat what I've said before in other threads. I made a mistake choosing N Gauge due to my age (physical limitations), and I do think too much emphasis is placed on model detail. I'm not convinced that the majority of enthusiasts need or desire so much detail. I think  Union Mills has it about right.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Newportnobby

Quote from: Mike Hamilton on August 13, 2020, 04:08:07 PM
A decent set of instructions wouldn't do any harm whatsoever and wouldn't cost much or take much effort to produce.  Not everyone has the knowledge of how to take a loco apart to fit a chip.  I Know I don't, especially when the instructions bear no semblance whatsoever to the loco you've shelled out your hard earned dish for.

I think you misunderstood my statement about collecting 'sheds'.
What I was trying to say was, it doesn't encourage newcomers to the hobby to find that their favourite locos are only available second hand or old tooling.  You say Dapol made 2 versions etc. but I'm talking about today not the dim and distant past.
]

I agree with your remarks about fitting a chip. That should be made a simple job anyone can tackle. I didn't misunderstand your statement about collecting sheds as (a) you never made one and (b) I was merely alluding to the name 'Evening Star'
Yes, Dapol made several versions of the 9F and still have the tooling, no doubt. Therefore no one else will go near it. If you can convince Dapol there's a demand for a specific 9F such that they can make them and have none left on the shelf after, say, one year then I'm sure they'd accommodate you but their minimum run might be 1000.
Like I said, you either snap them up on release or take a risk there won't be another run. We're all in the same boat there.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations