Cycling Insurance

Started by Railwaygun, June 21, 2019, 04:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4tt

Surely if he had time to sound his horn and shout at people, he should have be slowing right down to stop if needed?

Don't get me wrong, the woman was clearly an idiot. A clash of idiots by the sounds of it.

I drive a HGV and have driven many times around London, and pedestrians crossing in hordes even when the lights are green is a constant nightmare. If I were to just sound my horn a shout at people but still plough through, well I wouldn't be looking at a big court cost, I would be going to jail for a long time!

Vonzack

I have a policy with Assetsure who have been pretty good for me. I had a total loss from a Park and Ride cycle locker a few years ago, which they dealt with straight away. Legal protection is an add on to the policy, but only something like £10.

Chris Morris

I don't have third party insurance. I have to say that any vehicle user has a duty of care to not hit pedestrians no matter how stupid or ignorant those pedestrians may be. If you have this duty of care in your mind all the time (and you should) you don't need insurance.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

njee20

Personally I think that's a bit naive. Presumably you don't bother with fully comp car insurance either? Because if you're careful you won't need it. Ditto house insurance etc.

stevewalker

Quote from: M4tt on July 02, 2019, 07:28:05 PM
Surely if he had time to sound his horn and shout at people, he should have be slowing right down to stop if needed?

There various articles are not clear, but I got the impression that the light was green for him, the pedestrians that were still on the crossing (including her) were just about to step off and he sounded his horn to warn others not to step out, but that she panicked and turned back into his path.

njee20

That's got to be the most likely, I agree. Hence the reference to being "established on the road", if a judgement was made that a pedestrian who has literally stepped out in front of him has right of way that's a very dubious judgement.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations