The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 31, 2019, 04:43:50 PM

You married a 'with'?!!??!!

As long as he did not marry a 'without'!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

emjaybee

In my first place of employment, there was reputedly someone who was both 'with' and 'without'.

To this day I have no idea how that works.

:confused2:

I'd just like to add, before someone tries to elucidate, I really DO NOT want to know!
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

The Q

Back in the 1970s a bank clerk issued one of my mums cheque books,  to someone else "just cross the incorrect initials out" he said.
In those days with that bank,  you collected your cheque book from your bank branch. The clerk then proceeded to cash cheques on several occasions..
It took some time together sorted out....

Skyline2uk

Auto correct is going to get me in serious trouble one day....

"With" doesn't read the forum though.

Skyline2uk

Skyline2uk

:veryangry:

Eon

Company now gets a name and shame as, I am sorry, when I receive two missed calls, a text and an e-Mail (both the latter saying "please get in touch so we can resolve your complaint").....I do not expect to call them back and be told:

Sub-contractor disputes your side of events

?!??!?

So now I have to wait another 5 days for escalation, even with it marked as "priority".

I informed Eon that they are lucky they are not incurring a bill for accommodating my 10 month old son in a suitably warm hotel (stayed at in laws for the night).

If they, or their sub contractor think I am going to be £90 worse of after they vandalise my newly serviced boiler just to install a  :censored: smart meter.....

Well they haven't been on the end of one of my "special" letters.

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

Security gone mad in this digital age?
I do online banking and have an entry reference number, a code and a password but it seems that's not enough. Now every time I try to log on they send me a code to my mobile phone I have to use to do anything. I live in an area shocking for mobile networks and my mobile hardly works at home so I have to remember to turn my mobile on and wait for their code before proceeding.
Now paypal have forced me to give them my mobile number before I can log on and, having given it them, they then sent me a code to my mobile for verification.

We all like to be secure and the world is full of scammers but a lot of this digital age is just a PITA to an old scrote like me ::) >:(

dannyboy

I know exactly what you mean Mick. The two banks I use both require a code and a reference number, then 3 digits from my 11 digit password. 50% of the time I then have to wait for a code to be sent to my mobile so I can input that. As you say, we all like to feel secure but .....
Apparently it is to do with some new directive, (from Europe?) -

"Important Information
Effective from 23 October, we are introducing new security measures when completing certain transactions online. This is to meet the requirements of the new payments regulation, PSD2. For more information on this, please
"
David.

Newportnobby

You naughty man! :telloff:
I almost made a political post then :angel:

dannyboy

Who me? I was only quoting what my Banks website says.   ;)
David.

The Q

Just today received an email about this two layer security,  from a prepayment card I have.  This gives up to 10% off at various  retailers  eg 5% off stuff at BQ  so it was worth having.

However as of today with no notice they have Introduced sending code to a mobile phone... Problem is I don't have one.. I now can't even get into the account..  So after a phone call I have £32 to spend in BQ then the account will be abandoned..

Meanwhile  that prompted to read up on my real credit card ( always paid off each month)  they've sent me a card reader.

So I insert the card into the reader and type in the pin. Press enter

The bank via website selling, will give me a 8 digit number I type into the reader , press enter.

The reader will give me another 8 digit number which is typed into the online website..

Newportnobby

Yeah - I tried to make a bank transfer today to the guy whose stock I'm selling on the N'Porium and was told I need a card reader so now have to wait 7 days or whatever to get one. And they call this progress? ::)

daveg

OTP's are a real pain and we also suffer from poor mobile signal and service. A text can take moments or actually hours to be delivered.

There have been a number of times when a transaction has timed out due to non receipt of the OTP.

Yes, it's down to a European directive.

I've told to write to my MP about poor BB and mobile. Cannot understand why 'they' are banging on about the 5G generation when we can't get a decent 3G signal. Our mini exchange is just 2 miles down the road but it's 'not expected' we get fibre in the next 3 years!

Dave G

jpendle

Before everyone blames 'Europe'. I live in the US and 2 factor verification, i.e. sending a PIN to a mobile has been with us for a couple of years now.

At least my UK bank hasn't tried that yet!

What gets my goat is the increasing number of retailers in the UK who WILL NOT ACCEPT a foreign credit or debit card when purchasing things online.

This means that when pressies need to be bought for our grandchildren, we are either forced to use Amazon (or Hattons :D), or we have to transfer the money to our son's bank account so that he can buy the stuff on our behalf.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

emjaybee

Quote from: jpendle on November 06, 2019, 04:27:38 PM
Before everyone blames 'Europe'. I live in the US and 2 factor verification, i.e. sending a PIN to a mobile has been with us for a couple of years now.

At least my UK bank hasn't tried that yet!

What gets my goat is the increasing number of retailers in the UK who WILL NOT ACCEPT a foreign credit or debit card when purchasing things online.

This means that when pressies need to be bought for our grandchildren, we are either forced to use Amazon (or Hattons :D), or we have to transfer the money to our son's bank account so that he can buy the stuff on our behalf.

John P

That cuts both ways. When we're in the US the petrol pumps won't accept UK credit cards, this means one of us has to go and pay and either top up payment or get a refund whilst the other is filling.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Skyline2uk

And, after two more phone calls from Eon this week, we are in deadlock and I am forced to get the Ombudsman involved.

Essentially the subcontractor involved (Morrisons) has put in a report that is a work of fiction and Eon say "it's your word against theirs".

Leaving aside a written report from my engineer and the now repeated "switch may have been faulty before Morrison's arrived" gumph, we have nowhere else to go.

It's going to take 8-10 days to get a letter to us to confirm deadlock, but that's still quicker than waiting 8 weeks (happens to fall on Christmas Day!) to get Ombudsman involved.

Seriously having trouble with Eon missing £90. Probably the biscuit budget.

Sigh

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations