DJ Models class 17 Clayton

Started by Dalek, February 03, 2018, 02:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I think a visit to a shrink is in order as I've just ordered a twin pack green SYP, and I model transition era in the Oxford area. :doh: It did seem odd to pay Rails of Sheffield up front for a pre order but I guess needs must when the devil drives, eh?

Tank

From Dave Jones...

QuoteI am conscious that there have been a couple of requests on this topic for an update on the progress of the Class 17 and crowdfunding investors will all be keen to have this too I am sure.

Regrettably it is not the news I had hoped to share, and things have not progressed to the plan I had envisaged. There have been difficulties which mean that I cannot progress this project at this time despite tooling having taken place on the model and payment made for the tooling under agreement with China.

If I was able to provide a revised timescale and believe I could deliver to it, I would leave it to investors to decide whether it would be acceptable to them, but as it is, I cannot do even that currently.

So, I have reached the conclusion, that as I cannot now promise delivery of the Class 17 models on the basis that those who funded up front were expecting, it would not be right to continue to hold their money. I will therefore be refunding all those who have "crowdfunded" this models 2nd EP tooling monies in full during the course of approximately the next 5-10 days.

I am sure you will all be disappointed as I am, but I feel this is the only fair way to deal with the situation. I am sure you will all appreciate that I personally find myself at this time out of pocket to the tune of a significant amount (before I even think about the time I have invested in research, design etc) but that is, rightly, my risk.

I am hopeful that the class 17 will go ahead though, but it now finds itself, unfortunately, a 'back burner item' at this time.

However, I have mitigated further risk by seeding various projects with a number of factories so as not to have all my eggs in a single basket.

The N gauge King and Class 92's are seeded with a factory that has many successful designs and manufacture that are well known UK modellers.

The King is moving on in leaps and bounds now and a first cad/cam has been received and checked and found to be a little too high and long (3 inches in length at 12 inches to the foot scale, for instance).

The 92's will follow the King into the tool room so that Autumn and winter of this year things are looking more productive than they have been for a long while now.

The APT is seeded with another factory and contracts have been granted for the design, tool and supply to this manufacturer who makes models for the USA market for a number of high profile companies there. This company will also be completing further N gauge models that will now start to move along the design and tooling to production line. This model will enter tooling once the cad/cam and testing on a scale mock up has been completed successfully.

The shark and mermaid wagons are with a third factory, and they will be commissioned with more wagons and perhaps locomotives as things progress.

Cheers
Dave Jones

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Tank on May 11, 2018, 06:48:11 PM
From Dave Jones...

QuoteI am conscious that there have been a couple of requests on this topic for an update on the progress of the Class 17 and crowdfunding investors will all be keen to have this too I am sure.

Regrettably it is not the news I had hoped to share, and things have not progressed to the plan I had envisaged. There have been difficulties which mean that I cannot progress this project at this time despite tooling having taken place on the model and payment made for the tooling under agreement with China.

If I was able to provide a revised timescale and believe I could deliver to it, I would leave it to investors to decide whether it would be acceptable to them, but as it is, I cannot do even that currently.

So, I have reached the conclusion, that as I cannot now promise delivery of the Class 17 models on the basis that those who funded up front were expecting, it would not be right to continue to hold their money. I will therefore be refunding all those who have "crowdfunded" this models 2nd EP tooling monies in full during the course of approximately the next 5-10 days.

I am sure you will all be disappointed as I am, but I feel this is the only fair way to deal with the situation. I am sure you will all appreciate that I personally find myself at this time out of pocket to the tune of a significant amount (before I even think about the time I have invested in research, design etc) but that is, rightly, my risk.

I am hopeful that the class 17 will go ahead though, but it now finds itself, unfortunately, a 'back burner item' at this time.

However, I have mitigated further risk by seeding various projects with a number of factories so as not to have all my eggs in a single basket.

The N gauge King and Class 92's are seeded with a factory that has many successful designs and manufacture that are well known UK modellers.

The King is moving on in leaps and bounds now and a first cad/cam has been received and checked and found to be a little too high and long (3 inches in length at 12 inches to the foot scale, for instance).

The 92's will follow the King into the tool room so that Autumn and winter of this year things are looking more productive than they have been for a long while now.

The APT is seeded with another factory and contracts have been granted for the design, tool and supply to this manufacturer who makes models for the USA market for a number of high profile companies there. This company will also be completing further N gauge models that will now start to move along the design and tooling to production line. This model will enter tooling once the cad/cam and testing on a scale mock up has been completed successfully.

The shark and mermaid wagons are with a third factory, and they will be commissioned with more wagons and perhaps locomotives as things progress.

Cheers
Dave Jones

That's a shame, but if he has a factory not up to it then this is the best way to handle it.

Pete @ EGLM

So what exactly is the problem with the Clayton?
The tooling has clearly moved to a second EP.  Does the chassis not work?  It can't be a lack of money because the crowdfunders stumped up.  Would Dave sell the tooling and allow someone else to progress the project? Did I buy Mermaids in vain, believing that was helping cash flow?
I'd certainly buy several of them, (not quite as many as I saw, when they were lined up in Kingmoor yard waiting for the chop) but enough.
Intrigued...

Pete @ EGLM

woodbury22uk

Quote from: Pete @ EGLM on May 11, 2018, 10:53:55 PM
The tooling has clearly moved to a second EP.  Does the chassis not work?  It can't be a lack of money because the crowdfunders stumped up.  Would Dave sell the tooling and allow someone else to progress the project? Did I buy Mermaids in vain, believing that was helping cash flow?
I'd certainly buy several of them, (not quite as many as I saw, when they were lined up in Kingmoor yard waiting for the chop) but enough.
Intrigued...

Pete @ EGLM

On another thread on RMWeb the Class 74 in 00 gauge has been cancelled because the contractor in China did not deliver although they had been paid up front. May be the same contractor for the Clayton.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Snowwolflair

Quote from: woodbury22uk on May 11, 2018, 11:13:13 PM
Intrigued...

Pete @ EGLM

On another thread on RMWeb the Class 74 in 00 gauge has been cancelled because the contractor in China did not deliver although they had been paid up front. May be the same contractor for the Clayton.

That's my understanding.

Les1952

Quote from: woodbury22uk on May 11, 2018, 11:13:13 PM
Intrigued...

Pete @ EGLM

Reading on another forum the guess there is that Dave, despite having paid the factory, may not currently have access to the tooling.

If so, he would not be the first (or indeed only current) manufacturer in this position.

For my part although I would have loved to have had Class 17s running n Hawthorn Dene at Warley this year I have to live with the decision and await the refund. Meanwhile there are more mermaids and a shark to look forward to.

Les

koyli55002

Sad news indeed......
Was looking forward to my green pair - but full marks to DJ for his candour and fairness.

bluedepot

oh well it's not permanently cancelled is it? just delayed a while?

I have a pre order with a shop which I will leave in place. if the project goes totally crowd funded i might be up for that too depending on costs.

Tim

koyli55002

Les1952

My refund for the direct order has arrived.

The one I have on pre-order with Sherwood Models remains on order as I've not paid anything towards this one.

Still plenty of stuff to look forward to- and Hawthorn Dene has bookings until November 2020 so my yet see a class 17 running....

Les

njee20

Quote from: Les1952 on May 13, 2018, 07:50:08 AM
Reading on another forum the guess there is that Dave, despite having paid the factory, may not currently have access to the tooling.

If so, he would not be the first (or indeed only current) manufacturer in this position.

So the suggestion is that the factory have not delivered the item and are holding the tooling ransom...? Seriously?

RailGooner

Quote from: njee20 on May 13, 2018, 09:14:48 PM

So the suggestion is that the factory have not delivered the item and are holding the tooling ransom...? Seriously?

Presumably to ensure they get the business when the project is resumed. :censored: bandits. :veryangry:

woodbury22uk

Quote from: njee20 on May 13, 2018, 09:14:48 PM

DJModels have also just cancelled their Class 74 in 00 gauge because although the contractor in China has been paid in advance no tangible output has been provided. Souns like it could be the same company.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations