Star Trek is back!

Started by Adam1701D, September 25, 2017, 11:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoxTunnel

"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

port perran

Oh dear.....am I alone in never having watched Star Trek?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

ChrisWV10

Quote from: Nick on September 25, 2017, 05:48:20 PM

... (but think of the special effects and choreography budgets otherwise) ...

https://youtu.be/M8dX0pR9D0g   :laugh2:

Not a warp drive or a phaser in sight.

How do they wiz about the galaxy shooting aliens?  :confused2:

C.  :D

daffy

Quote from: port perran on September 25, 2017, 08:54:57 PM

That's no bad thing when you consider the fine layouts you have built while others boldly went where no TV viewers had gone before. :D

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Railwaygun

Quote from: broadsword on September 25, 2017, 05:31:07 PM
Does anyone recall which series had Wilfred Hyde-White  in it ?
Flying round the universe in an old cardy.

Original Battlestar Galactica ISTR
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

broadsword

Probably not, I've never seen any Star Wars movies and I'm a big Sci -Fi fan.
Just didn't appeal to me.

PeteW

Quote from: broadsword on September 25, 2017, 10:47:46 PMJust didn't appeal to me.

Nothing to be ashamed of. I always thought the original was cheesier than melted Camembert. But I did like Voyager (largely because when I was bottle-feeding my-then-baby daughter -
who started university last week!!! - it was what I watched at around 3am.

But while we're talking SF, let's remember Buck Rogers and Colonel (Colonel!) Wilma Deering:

javlinfaw7

My preference was DS9 , I liked the Idea of boldly staying where others stayed before. I also loved Space 1999 though this and Blakes 7 have dated very badly

bandwagon

I'd recommend any SF fan with a Netflix sub to take a look at The Expanse. The second series has recently been made available.

Plays fast and loose with gravity on board spacecraft and in the asteroid belt (but think of the special effects and choreography budgets otherwise) and with transit times in the solar system, but otherwise very good, IMHO. Not a warp drive or a phaser in sight. (Not that that will stop me watching ST:Discovery as soon as poss.  :D

I agree with you Nick, Netflix has some brilliant SiFi on there.

bandwagon

Quote from: ChrisWV10 on September 25, 2017, 05:56:00 PM
Much preferred Voyager over DS9. To me it went back to the premise of the original series seeking out new worlds and new civilisations albeit in the delta quadrant. DS9 was just Coronation St in space :thumbsdown: :P

Think I might cancel my NowTV sub, now that Game of Thrones has ended and give Netflix another go and check out this new Star Trek story. (I don't count Enterprise, it was :sick2: )

C.  :D

You are so right about DS9, Coronation Street in the future.

Never watched GOT because of having to pay for every episode, but I got Season 1 for a Birthday present and wow what I have been missing.

bandwagon

Well to be honest although I watched Star Trek, i can't and won't now, that Ham actor, William Shatner always had to have a woman, that was the thinking then, the leading actor in no matter what always had to get the woman lol.

NeMo

Quote from: bandwagon on September 26, 2017, 05:51:42 AM
Well to be honest although I watched Star Trek, i can't and won't now, that Ham actor, William Shatner always had to have a woman, that was the thinking then, the leading actor in no matter what always had to get the woman lol.

If you watch 'Star Trek' for the acting, then sure, it isn't another 'Brideshead Revisited'!

But what it did (and still does do) is portray a positive image of the future. Just how many of those have we seen recently? Turn on the news and you'll see countries and nations fragmenting, you'll see world leaders making everyone else nervous, and you'll see a global environment that gets incrementally, but steadily, worse every day.

'Star Trek' was about the fact we should be a united planet, that we're all human beings, and if we put aside our racial prejudices and love of money, we could achieve great things. If we never leave this planet, we'll eventually exhaust it, and at best, stagnate. If we do head out into space, it won't be on a rocket bearing a Union Jack banner! Such a thing would have to be a global effort, and we'd all have to benefit, equally.

As we get older and more cynical, we tend to descend into this mentality of "I've got my own problems, thank you very much", or even worse, the old "well, I'm alright jack, and plan to keep it that way" line of thinking. 'Star Trek' reminds me that I'm not the future, and if I want the grandchildren of my grandchildren to have a good life, then this planet has to pull together, and we could actually do that if we really tried.

I believe some young Jewish guy tried to say much the same thing a couple thousand years ago, but we didn't quite understand it then, either.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

bandwagon

Sorry Nemo I didn't mean to upset, I totally agree with you about the future and indeed our Children and Grandchildren and their Children need to be able to live where there is no wars and hostilities, but even in StarTrek there is conflicts between Klingons and Romulians. So it will never be perfect I am afraid.

And yes that young Jewish boy tried to tell them then and even now.

Cimmerian

Quote from: PeteW on September 25, 2017, 11:56:13 PM

But while we're talking SF, let's remember Buck Rogers and Colonel (Colonel!) Wilma Deering:

I'll always remember Wilma Deering. :heart2:
Regards, Ken

bandwagon

She was a looker thats for sure.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations