Jubilee 1930s livery & locations

Started by Dorsetmike, July 12, 2015, 01:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Where were Jubilees most likely to be seen in the 1930s and what livery would they carry, crimson or black?

I'm wondering  if any made it over the S&DJR, or maybe came south via Oxford, Reading Basingstoke, or will it have to be a Rule 1 job?

I'm sure I saw an ex LMS 4-6-0 named loco southbound at Broadstone around 1950, we usually only saw black 5s, 2Ps, 4Fs and 7Fs, but I definitely saw a nameplate on one 4-6-0.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

PGN

Mike -

I believe that, for publicity purposes, "Silver Jubilee" was sent just about everywhere that the civil engineering was up to taking a 5XP ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

port perran

Jubilees certainly appeared on the S&D but I cannot recall seeing pictures earlier than the 50s. It is more likely that the odd one made it South via Oxford and Reading.
However, the shedmasters on the S&D were renowned for "borrowing locos. Jubilees would probably have worked South into Bath Green Park in the 40s so who knows if one or two made it to Bournmouth West.
I'm also pretty sure that occasionally they worked through to at least Salisbury from Bristol (Barrow Road locos) but again probably not till the late 50s. I can certainly remember seeing the odd one on Westbury shed.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

PGN

And speaking of Silver Jubilee, it was one of the few models I couldn't bring myself to sell when disposing of all my Big 4 and British Railways stuff:

(well - I tried to put a picture in ... I followed the directions ... but it's not working the way the direction say it should. Ho hum/ There's an album somewhere called PGN's pictures, and all it was at present is a picture of my Silver Jubilee ... )

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

PLD

Before c1942, they were all Crimson except for 5552 'Silver Jubilee' in its unique Black and Silver livery...

I'm not aware of them working on the S&D pre 1950s. Bristol (on cross country services from Derby and Birmingham) was about the South West Limit in regular service pre-war. The main operating areas in that period were the Midland Main line (London - Derby - Sheffield or Manchester via the peak line) and the Settle - Carlisle.

By the 1950s their territory did expand considerably - they were considered almost a go-anywhere type; they were probably the LMS type most likely to be seen off region and reaching the East and South Coasts was not uncommon. Your "Named LMS 4-6-0 at Broadstone around 1950" was most likely a Jubilee. Scots rarely ventured off the WCML that early and Patriots were largely confined to the North West/North Wales at that time.

PGN

OK ... let's see if I can get it to work this time.

Here's a pic of my Silver Jubilee[smg id=27078 type=preview align=center caption="P1030118"]

queensquare

I'm afraid to say that Jubilees never worked over the. S&D. They were rare at Bath until the early sixties when you did start to see both them and Scots as they were cascaded down due to dieselisation

Jerry

CarriageShed

An Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Vol 5 (p105) says all Jubilees were out-shopped in Crimson Lake. 5552-5713 were post-1927 standard livery with gold/black insignia, the rest with gold/red.

Feel free to ask me about a specific loco.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations