So Who's in Self Isolation?

Started by Mr Sprue, March 23, 2020, 05:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

Some companies who put their staff on furlough are calling staff back so rush hour will be noticeable again.

daffy

Heaven help us if they lift the lockdown in three days time! :o

I hope they leave it in place for a long time yet. Lifting restrictions too early will be an experiment that I believe we will regret for ever.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Intercity

From the Railway perspective, if they lift the lockdown too early they will have hotspots of positive cases, that will be brought onto trains and into stations, everything starts again, also consider railways all over the globe are running a slimmed down operation and still struggling to get healthy workers to operate that, if full service is attempted who will operate the trains, and remember more people equals more exposure and potentially a higher sick/staff shortage problem.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: daffy on April 14, 2020, 08:51:58 PM
Heaven help us if they lift the lockdown in three days time! :o

I hope they leave it in place for a long time yet. Lifting restrictions too early will be an experiment that I believe we will regret for ever.

The lockdown has still allowed people to work if they cannot work at home and their businesses allowed.  Around here tradesmen who work on sites with no public never stopped.

I also suspect those working from home are being told to come in to be checked up on by their bosses, even if only for one day.

The Q

At our factory  the Extremely vulnerable are on 12weeks isolation on full pay.
As of the beginning of the week the merely vulnerable  were offered the chance to come go to work as the company had arranged distancing.

Those without medical conditions have continued working.

I myself have things  on the vulnerable list, but am also susceptible to malignant hyperpyrexia under anesthesia,  which means I'd be in serious trouble if I had to be anesthetized . Also malignant hyperpyrexia can be triggered by stress and high temperatures..

So not surprisingly I turned the offer down,  so I'm still at home on full pay although I have a little work I can do which takes about an hour a day.

Lawrence

Back to work tomorrow, full time  :(

Bealman

From what we see on the news over here, lifting restrictions in the UK at the moment would indeed be crazy.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daffy

Yes, I'm aware that there are a lot of folks working hereabouts in line with the lockdown, from farmers, to service industries, tradesman of all sorts, and others.

My concern is that if we move too soon to swell those numbers on the basis of economics alone we may live (or more will die) to regret it. Public health and economics must both be served, and at the moment I believe protection from Covid-19 must hold sway over economic need.

I'm simply saying that IMHO the time has not yet come in Britain to relax the vigil.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Snowwolflair

What they don't want to tell you is they need a steady controlled rate of infection so in a couple of years no one in the UK will be vulnerable.

If you stop it completely, as in China you will spend years paranoid as a society it will start again.

We all have to catch it sometime, my preference is to catch it by vaccination.

daffy

I agree, a successful targeted vaccine program has to be the goal for the entire World.  The problem at the moment is that that is a long way off, and the evidence is not there to demonstrate that anyone who survives a Covid-19 infection will gain any meaningful (i.e. longer than short term) immunity without a vaccine.
And as we all now know, no-one can predict the outcome of any single instance of Covid-19 infection, no matter what age, sex, or pre-infection health state of an individual.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

Shopping this morning at Tescos was a relatively civilised affair (09.45)
Queued for about 15 minutes to get in. Got everything needed. The odd eejit who can't follow directional arrows or thinks reversing into that aisle is perfectly OK ::)
Back home an hour later.

port perran

Very civilised at Morrisons and Lidl this morning and quite quiet.
We got everything on our list (plus a few extras eg biscuits and cakes  :D).
Everyone behaving themselves pretty well apart from the odd person who stops dead (completely oblivious to everyone else) in the middle of the aisle to consult their list and thus causing the whole shop to come to a standstill.

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on April 15, 2020, 12:32:32 PM

Beware.......................

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 15, 2020, 12:36:24 PM
Quote from: port perran on April 15, 2020, 12:32:32 PM

Beware.......................

if I could turn back time  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations