Rubbing Alcohol

Started by Dalek, April 09, 2020, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

No shortage of this stuff in the local Jaycar electronics store here, but I guess that doesn't help you guys much.

Actually, when I think about it, there might be a shortage!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Dalek

Quote from: Trainfish on April 10, 2020, 01:34:45 PM
New speakers would be cheaper than IPA right now. I have loads of IPA here but mine is a little different to what you're wanting  :beers:

I get what you are saying but these, when new, were quite expensive.

I will see if i have any Meths in the shed, i've got thinners but not sure if i would have any speakers left if i tried that !
The ipa was apealing as it saved me taking them to bits, i did plan on doing that and then painting them but i've ran out of paint  :doh:

Maybe i will just wake up any moment and it was all just a dream inc lockdown  :beers:

njee20

Is there any urgency? IPA will return to normal prices in due course. Just wait.

Mr Sprue

I've just used a couple of bottles "Elbow Grease "to prep my kitchen it only cost's 99p a bottle, makes sugar soap look as much use as a chocolate teapot. I have never used a kitchen product that gets straight into grease like this stuff can.

Its pretty much sold in most shops we buy ours from "Savers Health & Beauty Store"

Included in the list of recommended uses it includes degreasing engines and mechanical machinery! Not good stuff to inhale the mist though it comes with a stiff warning!  :goggleeyes:

N_GaugeModeller

My usual supplier who was charging £14.99 for 5ltrs is now price gouging at £159.99.

They are no longer my usual supplier.
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Mr Sprue

Quote from: N_GaugeModeller on April 14, 2020, 07:38:50 AM
My usual supplier who was charging £14.99 for 5ltrs is now price gouging at £159.99.

They are no longer my usual supplier.

Bloody hell what for 5ltrs of Elbow Grease? :goggleeyes:  If you bought 10 x 500 ml bottles it will only come to just under a tenner for 5ltrs!   

Have you not got a "Savers Health & Beauty Store" near you?

njee20

N_GaugeModeller

Looks like it contains zero Alcohol

It's on Amazon for £15  a bottle also listed at the Range for £1 a bottle

Not sure it will be any use against Covid-19 but good at cleaning an engine or your cooker
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

njee20

This is getting confusing! Elbow grease is on Amazon, and in shops, for £1 a bottle (here). It's not a derivative of IPA or anything, but a potential substitute for the OP's requests. Nothing to do with Covid-19.

IPA is available from limited places that are charging exorbitant rates for it, there is a shortage because of it's use primarily in developing hand sanitiser, which is obviously fairly handy (no pun intended) right now.

So the IP can either sit tight until IPA is available for a more reasonable rate (£3-£5 a litre), or can try something like Elbow Grease, or meths, or acetone, or Goo Gone, or any of a number of potential substitutes which may or may not work as well as IPA and/or dissolve his speakers!

Mr Sprue

@njee20  So where did the Covid-19 part enter the conversation?  :confused1:

The OP was enquiring about cleaners I have given two options that are obtainable and WON'T dissolve speakers! Okay I admit I took it that the OP was replying to what I had mentioned about "Elbow Grease" but that's it.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Quote from: Mr Sprue on April 14, 2020, 10:39:23 AM
@njee20  So where did the Covid-19 part enter the conversation?  :confused1:

The post immediately preceding mine, where N_GaugeModeller talked about Elbow Grease being not much use against Covid-19, and his previous one where he talked about "it" being £150 for 5 litres, but it's not clear if that's Elbow Grease, or IPA!

Mr Sprue

Ah okay I thought you were quoting that I had mentioned it in one my post's. For that I apologise.

Dalek

Thanks for all of the replies guys, much appreciated. I will give some of them a go over the weekend hopefully.

Thanks
Craig

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations