Do you like running trains?

Started by NinOz, April 04, 2018, 11:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PostModN66

Quote from: Intercity on April 04, 2018, 03:31:55 PM
As someone just starting the actual modeling side of the hobby (been collecting for a long time, never had space or time to create the layout), I am very much looking forward to bringing to fruition my ideas and thoughts (not looking forward to wiring), as for running or operating ideally I'd like to have a round roundy train that can be stopped in a fiddle yard to "swap" for another roundy train, but in the scenic side a TMD, Goods yard or carriage siding with some shunting going on would keep interest there.

With roundy roundy trains are we just setting them off to run by themselves, if so does it create more interest to have it computer controlled and run to a timetable per se, expresses to overtake semi-locals, freights put in sidings, to me that would keep movement there and give operators a chance to "shunt" or intervene in the computer side if needed.

A layout with large gaps or no movement don't hold interest for anyone watching.

Short answer - yes!

A layout designed so that shunting doesn't foul the running line really helps as this means you can do both things together, hopefully pleasing everyone.   The other thing is to let people know what is going on; if you tell people that the semi local is being looped to allow the express to pass, either through some visible instructions or just speaking verbally ( :confused1:) it helps to tell a story that makes sense of the layout

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

port perran

I like constructing layouts and building scenery which the trains can travel through.
It has to be roundy roundy or similar for me as I love to relax and watch trains run around. Shunting leaves me completely cold and shunting layouts at exhibitions Are a turn off.
Electronics is an area in which I have no interest either so the simpler the better for me. DCC and computer control, electronic points and signals etc hold no interest.
However, it's what makes this hobby so interesting, there are so many different angles to it. If we were all the same it would be boring.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Intercity on April 04, 2018, 03:31:55 PM
With roundy roundy trains are we just setting them off to run by themselves, if so does it create more interest to have it computer controlled and run to a timetable per se, expresses to overtake semi-locals, freights put in sidings, to me that would keep movement there and give operators a chance to "shunt" or intervene in the computer side if needed.

Depends on what "floats your boat" really. I am a software developer so naturally have some interest in the possibilities of computer control and automation, but funnily enough I've never bothered even though I built my layout in the 90s with such possibilities in mind - for example all pointwork has individual CDUs triggered by low power control voltages.  Having taken said layout to 70+ shows I think we'd have found it even less interesting to operate had the main roundy-roundy running been automated. 

I do have a set of additional boards that fit to the front of the main layout but with completely separate trackwork designed to integrate with modular layout systems. If necessary I can fit automated fiddleyards to each end of my sections and leave that front trackwork to run itself while we operate the main layout.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

kirky

I quite like most aspects of the hobby, except ballasting. I really enjoy watching the trains go by, and have built a layout which is just that - see sig for Northallerton - but over the last six years of construction, I've enjoyed almost everything. I do a bit of wood butchery anyway, as a second hobby, so building baseboards is always a plus for me. I enjoyed learning new skills as we've gone along, but I think the thing I've enjoyed most is being part of a club. The challenges of working as a team and the end result has been most satisfying. Its great fun working as a team within a club. There are loads of interactions, mainly positive, some more challenging, and the end result is a model we enjoy running. Even some of my P4 and O gauge friends enjoy running our layout, so there must be something good about watching the trains go by.

cheers
kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Old Bob One

I like running trains and shunting when I finally fit my point motors and that's the way the layout is designed. Plus I can do silly things like this 
https://youtu.be/-vEXv3_fw-0 and this lol
https://youtu.be/nA3uC-XPor8

railsquid

Watching my Minitrix Evening Star pull an ad-hoc rake of Staniers round and round on what passes for my layout, and it is most pleasurable. Someone was asking about Farish Staniers on another thread so I had them out, and the 9F is nice and reliable, and I have special dispensation from the rivet counter police. Totally strapped for time at the moment, so unable to do any of the myriad other model railway things I like doing, though fortunately the layout is in my home office where I spend a lot of time, and it's all Tomix track so Just Works (TM) without even being particularly nailed down, so putting something on the track and turning the controller all the way up to "slow trundle" and enjoying the view, is a viable option. It's also an excellent source of white noise to drown out the Squidlet (aged 3-and-a-bit) when he's at home and I need to concentrate.

texhorse

This has got to be one of the most reassuring threads I've read on this forum, or any of the American ones I'm a member of, in a very long time.

I always thought I was one on my own, to enjoy building the layout and supporting tasks, more than running the trains.  I'm glad I'm not alone in these thoughts.

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Papyrus

Quote from: port perran on April 04, 2018, 03:47:00 PM
I like constructing layouts and building scenery which the trains can travel through.
It has to be roundy roundy or similar for me as I love to relax and watch trains run around. Shunting leaves me completely cold and shunting layouts at exhibitions Are a turn off.
Electronics is an area in which I have no interest either so the simpler the better for me. DCC and computer control, electronic points and signals etc hold no interest.
However, it's what makes this hobby so interesting, there are so many different angles to it. If we were all the same it would be boring.

My philosophy entirely! That's the beauty of this hobby - you can approach it in so many ways and no two people will do it the same. Long may it continue.

Cheers,

Chris

Ditape

Quote from: port perran on April 04, 2018, 03:47:00 PM
Most of the sentiments above apply with one exception I do run DCC.
Diane Tape

scottmitchell74

I like seeing the trains run. So, for me it has to be a continuous motion (loop).

I like the sound they make, it's soothing hearing the miniature clickity-clack.

Roundy-round!
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

joe cassidy

In over 20 years since rejoining the hobby I have never completed a layout. I like running trains too much to get to grips with ballasting, wiring and boring stuff like that.

My layout sits on the dining table so I can view it from all angles. I tend to move my chair from time to time to get a different perspective.

Like you Scott I like listening to the clickety-click.

I ordered a garter blue Dapol A4 with valances yesterday, and the new Farish Ronseal tank wagon.

Looking forward to seeing those in action.

Oh yes, I also ordered a curved point because my second favourite model railway activity is altering the track plan.

Best regards,

Joe

OwL

I am definitely into running trains more than the modelling side so much so I bought a layout ready built off a fellow NGS member some years ago now.

I find the modelling/kit building/side a chore if I'm honest and With increasingly dwindling leisure time I want to be playing trains rather than cleaning/polishing/maintaining/building/making and working on stuff. I like driving trains and watching them zip by at my command/speed.

That being said I do occasionally dabble with modelling albeit on very small projects that I know I can finish before I lose interest.

Ultimately playing and running trains is certainly my interest.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Zogbert Splod

Before I busted up my previous start on building a layout (for reasons well documented in other threads), I had most of the track laid and I did enjoy running the trains for a while.  I was just starting in to build some of the electronic parts I wanted to add when the descent of the builders began.  I am now slowly getting back in to building version two.  I have to admit that the interest has swung towards the building of a layout that looks pleasing, so I think that watching the trains go by will figure large.

I have thought a lot about this while waiting to get back to the build.  To make watching the trains go by easier, I will be slowly adding a few automated aspects to the system.  The first of these is a suggestion of a branch line which doesn't even connect to the main layout.  There are two DMUs which 'live' under a hill and come out through a tunnel portal, pull into the station, wait for a while, then go off scene again.  Which one comes along and how long till the next one comes are randomly decided.  Yeah, I guess I'm a watcher.  The centre of the layout does, however, have a sort of an Inglenook configuration so other possibilities are there if desired.

It's going to be a while yet before sitting back and watching becomes a complete possibility though, much building still to do (I'm pleased to say).
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

rogerstalbans

I think I must spend about 99% of my time modelling and 1% operating. And that's fine; all the different creative aspects of modelling is what I really like.

A few minutes operating at home is usually enough for me and that is normally to test something.

It's a bit of a different story at exhibitions though. I've really enjoyed putting an operating sequence together to vary the trains running through the layout.

Roger.

broadsword

Yep , I like running trains. if not I could have saved £££s buying  Del Prado stuff  ,
seems like a dumb question.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations