Farish / Dapol Collectors clubs ?

Started by Westbury, April 01, 2015, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on December 12, 2015, 02:44:29 PM
Quote from: austinbob on December 11, 2015, 06:17:56 PM
Anybody have any updates on whether Dapol collectors club is now worth the effort of trying to join.
As you will see from earlier posts on this thread I had a very bad experience with the Dapol club.
Bachmann club is great and I will continue to subscribe.

Latest feedback on Dapol club would be appreciated.
Ta!!  :beers:

Having just read this thread, I can't believe you would give them another go! You're a much more forgiving sort than I!
I know, I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm just interested if anyone has had any good experiences of the Dapol club recently.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

housey_d444

I rejoined the dapol club in the last month, main reason was to get an O gauge terrier, not N i know!
I was told on the phone to expect my terrier along with free yearly wagon etc. To mu suprise no wagon in the parcel, i dropped them an email to be told they no longer supply any wagon for any of the 3 gauges. They included 4 magazines and a renewel form that starts January for the years subscription!
So basically £25 for two months subscription, no free wagon and 4 magazines that had news from the beginning of the year!,
Certainly wont renew it for next year. Bachmann certainly seems better value and good Ltd Edns in comparison.

austinbob

Quote from: housey_d444 on December 13, 2015, 05:38:35 PM
I rejoined the dapol club in the last month, main reason was to get an O gauge terrier, not N i know!
I was told on the phone to expect my terrier along with free yearly wagon etc. To mu suprise no wagon in the parcel, i dropped them an email to be told they no longer supply any wagon for any of the 3 gauges. They included 4 magazines and a renewel form that starts January for the years subscription!
So basically £25 for two months subscription, no free wagon and 4 magazines that had news from the beginning of the year!,
Certainly wont renew it for next year. Bachmann certainly seems better value and good Ltd Edns in comparison.
Doesn't sound like they've improved at all since I had my problems trying to joining the club. I think I'll stay away from the Dapol club and carry on with Bachmann which, I agree, is good value.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

RichardBattersby

I joined the Farish club half way through this year. I've just received my pack with calendar and magazine. I'm really, really impressed by the magazine. So much more than what I was expecting and a publication actually worth reading. I'd assumed upon joining it would be a leaflet with the latest CAD and that would be about it. Will be renewing when the time comes.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

MikeDunn

Quote from: housey_d444 on December 13, 2015, 05:38:35 PM
I rejoined the dapol club in the last month, main reason was to get an O gauge terrier
You don't explicitly say, but you got the Terrier, yes ?  So you did get what you were really after.

Quoteto be told they no longer supply any wagon for any of the 3 gauges.
Hmmm - the website today states that
Quote from: Dapol Website
The club will be a great way to keep in touch with Dapol including receiving a quarterly newsletter a members pack and the opportunity to purchase special club offers, this will run annually from 1st February to 31st January inclusive. The offers will include one limited edition Locomotive and three limited edition wagons for all gauges.

Your new members pack will include your first newsletter of the year along with a folder to file and store them as well as a collectable free gift!! All this for an annual payment of £25.
(My emphasis above) So they are in breach of contract as stated on their site (and likely the membership form, if you filled one in off-line).  Wish it surprised me ...

QuoteSo basically £25 for two months subscription, no free wagon and 4 magazines that had news from the beginning of the year!
At least you got the magazines - improved any from 6 sheets of photocopy stapled together ?

N-Gauge-US

I was just given the Bachmann Collectors Club membership as a Christmas gift and placed a large order straight away. I emailed them this morning with a question about the order and whether I would be receiving this year's calendar or next year's. I got an email back from Megan almost immediately who was extremely friendly and helpful. She explained that my membership was after the date for the 2016 calendar and the winter magazine edition but that when she returned to the office she would send me both with her compliments, which I thought was extremely nice. I thought this little story worth sharing for any of you on the fence about which to join. (Also, as mentioned above, Bachmann membership is for 365 days, not until February 1, as Dapol's is).
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

austinbob

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on December 23, 2015, 08:36:23 PM
I was just given the Bachmann Collectors Club membership as a Christmas gift and placed a large order straight away. I emailed them this morning with a question about the order and whether I would be receiving this year's calendar or next year's. I got an email back from Megan almost immediately who was extremely friendly and helpful. She explained that my membership was after the date for the 2016 calendar and the winter magazine edition but that when she returned to the office she would send me both with her compliments, which I thought was extremely nice. I thought this little story worth sharing for any of you on the fence about which to join. (Also, as mentioned above, Bachmann membership is for 365 days, not until February 1, as Dapol's is).
As I mentioned before - this club gives a good deal!! Glad you're pleased with your Xmas present - enjoy!

Bob Austin

dannyboy

"the opportunity to purchase special club offers,","The offers will include one limited edition Locomotive and three limited edition wagons for all gauges."

But it does not say that members will receive a free wagon, only that "limited edition" wagons will be available - not that I am trying to defend Dapol, I have seen too many adverse comments for that. 'Bachmann' all the time for me  :thumbsup:. David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

austinbob

Quote from: dannyboy on December 23, 2015, 09:55:43 PM
"the opportunity to purchase special club offers,","The offers will include one limited edition Locomotive and three limited edition wagons for all gauges."

But it does not say that members will receive a free wagon, only that "limited edition" wagons will be available - not that I am trying to defend Dapol, I have seen too many adverse comments for that. 'Bachmann' all the time for me  :thumbsup:. David.
I did get a free wagon when I joined the Bachmann club - not sure if I'll get one every year. Even if I don't I still think its worth the money. Excellent magazine and calendar and a nice choice of collectors club special locos and rolling stock. I think its great!!
:D :beers:

Bob Austin

dannyboy

Quote from: austinbob on December 23, 2015, 09:59:30 PM

I did get a free wagon when I joined the Bachmann club - not sure if I'll get one every year. Even if I don't I still think its worth the money. Excellent magazine and calendar and a nice choice of collectors club special locos and rolling stock. I think its great!!
I have just renewed my Bachmann membership and received the 2016 calendar and a wagon - I did not get a calendar for 2015, (think I joined just too late), but I did get a wagon, so it looks like members do get a free wagon every year - and the magazine is good quality with interesting content  :thumbsup:. David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

austinbob

Quote from: dannyboy on December 23, 2015, 10:10:53 PM

I have just renewed my Bachmann membership and received the 2016 calendar and a wagon - I did not get a calendar for 2015, (think I joined just too late), but I did get a wagon, so it looks like members do get a free wagon every year - and the magazine is good quality with interesting content  :thumbsup:. David.
That's good news. So I should get a new wagon early next year.
:)

Bob Austin

MikeDunn

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on December 23, 2015, 08:36:23 PM
I got an email back from Megan almost immediately who was extremely friendly and helpful.
Aye, Megan's a good lass  :thumbsup:

Quote from: austinbob on December 23, 2015, 10:16:58 PM
Quote from: dannyboy on December 23, 2015, 10:10:53 PM
I did get a free wagon when I joined the Bachmann club - not sure if I'll get one every year.
but I did get a wagon, so it looks like members do get a free wagon every year
So I should get a new wagon early next year.
Yup - if you've said N, you get the wagon in N; if you said OO, you get OO.  If you've bought both (yes this is an option) you get both wagons ...

The BachFar Club is far superior to the crap that is Dapol's "club" or the current fiasco Hornby have begun ...

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on June 25, 2015, 07:15:09 AM
Quote from: austinbob on June 24, 2015, 03:39:12 PM
Quote from: georgehgv on June 24, 2015, 03:35:30 PM
I have been a member of Bachmann Club a number of years and without exception they deliver every ppromise, magazines, club model, days out etc. no problem at all with them, just a shame others do not follow suit. I do hope you have now received your refund Bob.
Waiting for online update to credit card statement tomorrow or Friday...
:sleep:
Received refund - recorded on credit card statement today.
Here endeth the final chapter. AMEN!!
:claphappy:
AND THERE'S MORE FOLKS.
After cancelling my membership (or lack of membership) and getting a refund, I have since received two Dapol club news letters from them... Go Figure???
??? :hmmm: :beers:

Bob Austin

MikeDunn

Sounds about right ... :censored: up & brewery spring to mind, as do GPS system & backside ...  I ended up with 2 extra ones ...  Unfortunately, extra photocopies of a poor newsletter still didn't make me think I was missing out  ::)

NewbieN

Just to throw my opinions to the respective clubs, I am both a member of the Dapol and Bachamnn offerings, and must agree that the Bacmann club is far better.

When I first joined the Dapol club earlier in the year, I did get the memberhip pack, but since then, which was back in April 2015, I never received any newsletters, invites to open days etc. So overall not overly impressed, and I got fed up emailing and phoning to chase up newsletters etc.

Safe to say I won't be renewing, which is a shame as Dapol do produce some lovely models.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations