simple and reversible dummy conversion of class 73

Started by bluedepot, July 13, 2018, 04:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hi everyone

what would be a simple and reversible way of converting a powered class 73 into a dummy?

I have a second hand dc one and i don't want to pay for dcc conversion really as it will be running with another dcc converted 73 in a pair or with a 33.

any ideas much appreciated!

cheers

Tim

Paul-H

Hi

Assuming it's the Dapol version, and it follows Dapols usual method of drive, pull each wheel set out and remove the drive gear from the top of the drive tower. Or just remove the motor.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

ntpntpntp

I would think remove as much of the gearing from the bogies as you can, and remove the motor. Remove pickups? Need to reduce weight and reduce drag.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Paul-H

Assuming working lights are needed then leave the pickups in place, I have a couple of Dapol dummies and they just remove the motor leaving everything else in place.
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

bluedepot

hi

thanks for the tips!

paul - how easy is it to remove the motor (and to put it back in if required?)

cheers

tim

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations