Model Rail 2013 wishlist results

Started by guest311, June 10, 2013, 04:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyStitch

:greatpicturessign:
Quote from: EtchedPixels on June 11, 2013, 03:21:23 PM
Quote from: ScottyStitch on June 11, 2013, 01:09:39 PM
Yep I was aware of that, but was referring more to the stripping gear problem.

I have to say the lights, etc, don't concern me that much, and it looks pretty much how it's supposed to I'd say, apart from the buffer beam being part of the bogie (!).

I would take a look at a real one if I was you. The buffer beam *is* part of the bogie !

Not had any problem with gears beyond the usual and they can be replaced. Lights would need adding but for its era it isn't a bad model.

Alan

Pardon me, I must pay more attention.........

BlythStationLad

Have to say that the overall number of votes for even the top desired models would hardly encourage either of the 'big two' mainstream manufacturers to get excited! I guess, if they take any notice of such polls, that they must extrapolate the data to include the silent majority, i.e., the non-voters?

Personally none of my wishes (North Eastern-based 0-4-4 G5 and 0-6-0 J27) got listed :( Does anyone else out there model the NE area or am I in a very small minority? The whitemetal G5 kit (tooling now lost, I understand) is crude by today's standards and Dapol's chassis is difficult to get and to get to run properly, then it has to be modified for DCC. Similarly Union Mills J27 just doesn't look right to me (is the boiler too small in diameter?).

Having recently modified a Union Mills J25 into a J21, and brought it more up-to-date with all sorts of quite major modifications (especially the tender), I'm really not keen to have to go through that process again witha J27. It's a bit ironic that the photo of the East Anglian J15 in Model Rail was taken at Beamish Museum, Co. Durham, in NE heartland! :scowl:

On the DMU front I'm also a little surprised that no-one else seems to want a Derby Lightweight DMU, given that it's been available in 00 for some time now :'(

EtchedPixels

Ray at BHE has the highfield G5 moulds and was doing them at about £7.50 a set. It is basic but its a good basis and will fit the M7 with a bit of tweaking. Mine even has sound.

The fact it's basic actually helps as it's easier to detail than many such kits because you don't have to remove much first 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

njee20

A 92 would be great. Still surprised Dapol canned theirs in favour of a 59.

steam-driven boy

Hi,
Quote from: njee20 on June 11, 2013, 08:39:26 PM
Yup, a r-t-r 92 would be great, but if Dapol were disappointed by the slow return on the 86 - surely a 'banker' financially if the demand were really out there (I have the Network Rail pair even though I'll not be putting up OLE)  - then their reluctance in putting more resources into these under present continuing 'hard times' is understandable I think.
As with the Pendolino, I'll be in the queue for the printed 92 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=5668.90 as and when - I'm not concerned that even at my 'glacial' speed of working I could be overtaken by these returning to Dapol's front-burner.

As for the other items of interest to me, as I mentioned on another topic Bachmann announced OO TPO stowage vans for 2013/14, so unless they don't sell must be certain for N.  And as EP touched upon, a printed modern Kirow rail crane is also fairly close now by the look of things - the same guy who made the Pendolino available - so the wallet has every right to be in hiding now  8)

Regards, Gerry.
...being a bear of very little brain...

EtchedPixels

I would expect a 92 from Farish if anyone. It's basically a class 60 for many of the components or at least the CAD basis.

I was rather hoping we'd have seen the 3D printed 92 by now but all alas seems quiet on that front still.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

H

Quote from: njee20 on June 11, 2013, 08:39:26 PM

That's not my understanding (that they canned it in favour of a class 59). Apparently they feel that the 'electric' loco market is not strong enough - having not had a massive success with the their class 86. They claim not to have cancelled the class 92 development but have simply put it on the back burner to bring it on when they feel the market is right for it. In fact they went to great lengths to say it wasn't 'cancelled'.

Still there are a few options avaiable - (a) CJM do a very nice one (with massive haulage capacity), (b) there is a 3D one in development and (c) it's probably possible to bash/scratch build one from a class 60. If none of those options appeal you could canvass Dapol and buy up all the class 86s to indicate that the market is now ready.  :D

H.

red_death

Quote from: H on June 12, 2013, 10:13:49 AM
you could canvass Dapol and buy up all the class 86s to indicate that the market is now ready.  :D

I've been trying  :D

I agree with H - it wasn't a case of either/or for the 92 and 59. If manufacturers want to continue to expand their range then sooner or later they are going to have bite the bullet and take electric locos and EMUs more seriously.

I can't see Farish doing a 92 given they don't do it in 4mm (and both Hornby and Lima have produced models).

Cheers, Mike

Cheers, Mike

RussellH

Hi Alan

Yep the class 92 project has been too quiet for too long. When we enquired about a 16 micron master for casting we got a quote of £250plus vat from the same firm that did the last one for ~£100. Bit of a shock. After a lot of looking and more quotes we finally got one a lot cheaper and that’s had a clean today and is sat here drying, plan then is inspection and then off to casting at CMA.

I’m really surprised that after all this time a RTR version hasn’t turned up!

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

H

Quote from: class37025 on June 10, 2013, 04:08:35 PM
July's Model Rail slipped through the letterbox this morning, and includes the results of the 2013 wishlist.
for N the results were :

1. BR mk.1 TPO stowage van
2. BR class 92 co-co electric
3. BR class 117/118 Pressed Steel DMU
4. BR Cowans Sheldon 75t breakdown crane
=5.  BR class 40  & GWR Churchward '43xx' 2-6-0

On checking the full results the top ten N gauge 'wants' are;

1st - BR Mk1 TPO Stowage Brake Van
=2nd - Class 92 electric locomotive
=2nd - Working gated level crossing
4th - Working BR colour light signals
5th - Class 117/118 3-car DMU
6th - BR Cowans Sheldon 75t breakdown crane
=7th - GWR Churchward 43xx 2-6-0 loco
=7th - Class 40 diesel loco
9th - 10000 & 10001 LMS diesel loco twins
=10th - LMS PO Sorting Van & tender (POS & POT)
=10th - BR ‘Shark’ ballast brake van

I'm quite surprised that in those eleven 'wants' there is only one steam kettle (and only in seventh place) - perhaps modern D&E is now what the manufacturers should be concentrating on.

Also does no-one bother with modelling these days; many of them are already available as older RTR models (ripe for detailing and improving) or kits (ready to build). I'd prefer the manufacturers concentrated on developing all new products, rather than updating older existing ones or duplicating kits, to better and faster expand the range and choice. But then that's just my tuppence worth.

H.

steam-driven boy

Hi,
Quote from: H on June 12, 2013, 10:43:59 AM
Quote from: class37025 on June 10, 2013, 04:08:35 PM

1. BR mk.1 TPO stowage van
1st - BR Mk1 TPO Stowage Brake Van
Thanks for the correction H, Bachmann are producing the Stowage Brake in OO for ModelZone apparently due March '14 - again, if it's successful I'd guess they'd have 'first dibs' on an N version.

Really pleased to see the update on the printed 92  :D

Regards, Gerry.
...being a bear of very little brain...

Roy L S

Quote from: Arrachogaidh on June 10, 2013, 08:44:01 PM
And Class 5MT Clan were in there as well......

Pedant mode on....

The Clans were 6P 5F ... :)

Pedant mode off...

Been away a few days so just picking up on this thread. Personally I would love to see a Clan produced, but I doubt it is truly viable as a RTR model in N.

I suspect the best (only) RTR route would be a newly tooled body for the Dapol Brit chassis if Dave Jones has designed the chassis clearances with the "Clan" in mind too.

I am surprised by how well the 92 has scored. Certainly from all accounts (Dave Jones from Dapol and Bachmann have both said this) electric locos and EMUs are generally slow sellers and I would not hold out too much hope that one will be delivered.

As to the rest, some sensible "wishes" like the 43xx Mogul (Which would already been with us had Ixion not changed their plans/priorities). A retooled Class 40 is surely only a matter of time and a Thompson Full Brake (Indeed Thompson coaches generally) ditto..

Will be interesting to see how the NGF loco Poll compares.

Roy

Vanders

We already know that a new 40 is on its way (Bachmann have already retooled the OO version) and the 117/118 is probably right up Dapols street. I wouldn't be surprised if the 123 wasn't on Dapols hit-list either...

H

Quote from: Vanders on June 12, 2013, 11:50:00 PM

We already know that a new 40 is on its way

Really? I wasn't aware that was Farish's intension - perhaps I missed the announcement? Is there any confirmation that a new, and presumably retooled, class 40 is being developed and on its way?

H.

Vanders

Quote from: H on June 13, 2013, 12:32:27 AM
Quote from: Vanders on June 12, 2013, 11:50:00 PM

We already know that a new 40 is on its way

Really? I wasn't aware that was Farish's intension - perhaps I missed the announcement? Is there any confirmation that a new, and presumably retooled, class 40 is being developed and on its way?

It's been standard Bachmann policy to produce new models in both scales for years now, and the 40 is ripe for a retool.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations