Diesels - It could happen..

Started by cudders, June 17, 2011, 06:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudders

Hi all,

After my recent twitch and almost buying a diesel..I've got to thinking and have decided I will try em!   :o

My era will be BR Blue..mid seventies as this is what I remember. I don't really know much about the era or diesels in general but wonder if you guys could give me a run down of the types I could use for this time scale.

Secondly, which models would be best to get for probable DCC. Newer Bachmann/older Farish or Lima.

Finally, I assume I would need MK1 coaches?

This will be secondary to my main steam layout (in progress) but I will collect as I go if you get my drift.

Any info appreciated and apologies for asking so much!

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

OwL

Hi Cudders,

You car'nt go far wrong with a class 08 in BR Green or early BR Blue. These have been around as long as nationalisation, so this would be a good model to 'dip your feet' into diesels. Also many 08's are on the market, meaning you can pick one up cheap cheap cheap :thumbsup:

If you are really tempted, and wish to take the plunge, why not consider a class 47 in either green or blue. Current GraFar bachmann examples come DCC ready (just need a chip :)) Again these loco's, with a real life fleet of 512 and making their debut on BR metals in 1962-63 are one of the most common BR Diesels of that era (and very nice they look too...... :D)

I personally have models of most era's (pre war big four, through nationalisation, to BR corporate era, right the way through to modern companies(DRS. DB Schenker, Freightliner etc....) and I love both my diesels and steamers on equal terms. There is always a place on a layout for steam and diesel. As I mainly modern era image model, it may surprise you to find that my newest model is a GWR 14xx (albeit in BR Black Livery) Read my latest thread on 14xx!

The reason I collect so much is because although i generally model modern era, I still have respect and admiration for the steamers that put UK railways on the international map (Flying Scotsman, Mallard, City of Truro and Duchess of Hamilton to name but a few)
BR Diesels are also re-nowed and respected world wide (Check out Class 58's,56's and 37's working on rail infrastructure duties in France, Spain and Holland over the last few years due to their excellent pedigree)

What ever your choice, dont feel bad about getting a Diesel, afterall, your just adding another dimension to a very intersting British Railways era.

Good luck, and i hope you enjoy your dabble with diesel. :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Dock Shunter

Quote from: cudders on June 17, 2011, 06:35:30 PM
Hi all,

After my recent twitch and almost buying a diesel..I've got to thinking and have decided I will try em
I knew we would break you in the end Cudders :smiley-laughing:
             My recommendations for your first diesel purchases would be a  :Class37:

and secondly a 24.....both DCC ready (NEM 651 6 PIN) and both beautiful runners....

Welcome to the other side Cudders..... ;D

Geoff

I had all plans of going steam, but after looking at the steam engines I wanted only the odd one was dcc ready, so now I have started to go down the Diesel route because being dcc ready, my first diesel is a class 24 in 2 tone green and I am really happy with it, now planning on a class 42, so good luck cudders on what you choose.
Geoff

Lawrence

If you want to go blue mate, get yourself a Baltimore & Ohio EMD E8 A+B, now that's a real diesel  ;)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=269580&nseq=10

Newportnobby

Cudders - come to the dark side, you must. Seriously, Wikipaedia is a great source of information. On Google, type in (for example) Class 25 loco, hit the Wikipaedia button and behold the detail. Of particular note is the section "Liveries", which might help with green diesels (more individual than BR blue IMHO) as to whether they had small yellow panel or full frontal (oo-er). Coaching stock in early 70's would be predominantly Mk1 with some Mk2's making an appearance, but if I remember correctly Mk1's were limited to 90mph due to the bogies. Also if I recall correctly, blue/grey came in around 1966. Good luck and if I can help with any detail from my Ian Allans regarding regions/shed allocations let me know.

porkie

welcome to the darkside cudders,  The good thing is that pritty much most of the new releases are dcc ready :thumbsup:
Like everyone has said mk1's were the norm and mk2 later on in the era.. And maybe the odd steam special wouldn't go amiss either..
You will not regret buying a class 24 the detail is top notch.........
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Lawrence

Quote from: Zunnan on June 17, 2011, 07:47:45 PM
Better yet...but thats an A+A. ;) I prefer ATSF in the 70s for my blue fix too.

Pinstripe F45's. Mmmmmmm

Damn, you spotted it, but it was such a pretty picture I couldn't help myself  ;D  try this one
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=270400&nseq=6

cudders

Guys,

As usual you come up with the goods! Thx alot..  :thumbsup:

My initial list will be a 37, 08 and a 24. really like the look of the 24s, quite a hansome loco. I do remember them as well. Also a DMU or two, 101 and 108 i think. I'll keep my eyes out for bargains  ;D

I'll start to have a trawl on the net now for more info. Also I'll post my DCC questions in the correct area..

Thx again chaps.

Cudders

Dock Shunter

Excellent choices Cudders..... :thumbsup: you wont go far wrong with any of those....the 108 dmu is also a lovely
runner.A brand new 101 is also about to go into production.......maybe worth hanging out for that..
The Gronk is the only one not DCC ready but can be converted.

Sailor Charon

Quote from: Zunnan on June 17, 2011, 08:30:24 PM
Mk2's are actually a steam era design. ;)

They were introduced in 1964 (Mk2) as vac braked coaches and in 1967 (Mk2a) they started being built with air brakes. The first air cons appeared in 1971 as Mk2d with the Mk2e finishing in 1974 and Mk2f being constructed until 1975.

Ah! Now there's a thought...
Anybody know where I could get them repainted in blood and custard... :) [Actually, no, seriously...]
Just to really...
Irk the purists
Irk the purists
Irk the purists
It's a right good laugh.
I just keep trying to get a little better
Said a little better than before

EtchedPixels

Trouble is the preservationists have made them accurate. There are a couple of C&C Mark 2 coaches to be found on heritage railways !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

MJKERR

Mid 1970s, BR blue
Yes, pretty much as above
Would need a few details on the actual layout to determine which locos would be appropriate and typical coaches and wagons
Almost certainly Class 25, 31, 37, and 47
Mark 1 coaches in Blue / Grey
If the route is served by long-distance services then the air con Mark 2 versions would be possible (although the numbers may be incorrect the body style will be correct)
The pressure ventilated Mark 2 coaches present a problem, but these can be completed by vinyls or older Poole coaches with inserts, the correct underframe is available as a replacement, thus leaving the roof to be converted (parts currently not available from any supplier)

With regards to freight trains, Railfreight HEA and VBA wagons and similar era would be possible
HAA would also be possible, having just been introduced
it is possible that some of your existing freight wagons may be suitable

cudders

Thanks Mjkerr.

You have pre-empted my next questions!

Cudders

EtchedPixels

Quote from: mjkerr on June 21, 2011, 02:39:29 PM
If the route is served by long-distance services then the air con Mark 2 versions would be possible (although the numbers may be incorrect the body style will be correct)
The pressure ventilated Mark 2 coaches present a problem, but these can be completed by vinyls or older Poole coaches with inserts, the correct underframe is available as a replacement, thus leaving the roof to be converted (parts currently not available from any supplier)

Mark 2D depends a lot on the area - they were common enough at Birmigham New Street on the major trains in the mid 1970s but almost unheard of in the South West so it depends a lot on location. Earlier mark 2 stock turned up mixed in with other services a lot. Suitable roof vents available from Ultima and in most cases you can also do the interior with a hacksaw and some of the other interior bits available.

Regional stuff was very different to today - it really was the backside of British Rail, whatever would go plus tatty Mark 1 coaches that would be the ones most needing a refurb.

On the freight side HAA and freightliner was well established (HAA is old enough that HAA + steam is possible just), a lot older wagon still floating around and most freight I saw was certainly long trains (or sometimes short) of bauxite vans and opens. MGR trains were still in the hands of 47/3's sometimes in pairs, or other areas pairs of 20s and sometimes other stuff. Also the odd bit of cool stuff like Falcon on iron ore. Also a lot of parcel and newspaper traffic some using Mark 1 CCTs and well into the 1970s early 1980s big four stock like Thompson and Hawksworth full brakes + BR built syphons

A big consideration for the period coaching stock/loco mixes was actually brakes and train heating. A lot of newer stock was ETH fitted and only 33, 45/1, 47/4, 50/55 etc could run it properly on the diesel side, plus the 31/4 although given they produced about 800hp when running ETH you might as well get out and push so they were often in pairs. Western region still had a lot of hydraulics and that caused problems until the arrival of the 50s as retrofitting the Westerns with ETH was considered not worth while as they were supposed to be getting scrapped.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations