Class 180 Adelante Kit

Started by G_N_E_R, April 20, 2016, 08:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_death

If you know the sizes from the 3D model then you could print the windows on OHP transparency (and include the surrounds and windscreen wiper as part of the print) - that should be flexible enough to curve correctly.

Cheers, Mike

GroupC

Really great modelling here, looking forward to seeing the complete set. Given the amazing standards so far, I presume the wipers will actually sweep too?

Snowwolflair

Overhead transparency is good but usually coated and if not coated the adhesion by laser printing or ink jet is poor.  I could print it by dye sublimation but this only allows single sided printing and for these windows two sided is necessary.

Snowwolflair

Snowwolflair

A bit less reflection of room lights on this shot.

Adam1701D

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Mustermark

Yep, that's coming on nicely. The paint job looks great. Windows are very neatly done too. It's going to be stunning with the decals.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Snowwolflair

Laser cut windows.  The acrylic has a plastic film on both faces to protect them from the fumes caused by the laser and they get peeled off as the windows are glued in place.

96 windows is going to take a while  :)

acko22

It's coming on very nicely!!!

Will them windows you should offer the bloke on shape ways some windows (either as an exchange) or for sale so he could sell the complete kits and make yourself a few pennies in the process!!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Snowwolflair

I will be selling them with the transfer sets  :D

acko22

Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

DELETED

Have never really been convinced at the finish off allot of 3D printed stuff I've seen before but this looks great.  Big  :thumbsup:

Rich

Snowwolflair

Quote from: RST on June 24, 2016, 10:39:24 PM
Have never really been convinced at the finish off allot of 3D printed stuff I've seen before but this looks great.  Big  :thumbsup:

Rich

The secret is don't use files and sandpaper.  I use a thick fiberglass pen and use a burnishing movement, both on the 3D print and on each coat of primer, of which there should be many.  You need to clear fine details that can get lost and again the fiberglass pen and the point of a scalpel are the best tools.

It takes time. :D

Snowwolflair

Snowwolflair

96 windows later, they are all in.  I now need to let the glue cure.  I ended up using the canopy glue "Glue 'n' Glaze by Deluxe Materials.

The advantage of this glue is that on the acrylic windows any smudges, when dry, can be removed with a sharp cocktail stick.

A few more areas to paint and I will be ready for transfers, which are being printed next week.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations