Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

:sorrysign:Just been for a trip on the Ofoten Railway from Narvik to Kiruna. When it was first built in 1902, it was the northernmost railway in the world. Some spectacular views of snow covered mountains and frozen lakes
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Malc on February 21, 2014, 01:19:38 PM
Just been for a trip on the Ofoten Railway from Narvik to Kiruna. When it was first built in 1902, it was the northernmost railway in the world. Some spectacular vies of snow covered mountains and frozen lakes

It or the Bodo line are on my todo list - the freight locos on the Narvik line are really impressive beasts as well which makes it tempting too.

Bodo at least you can enjoy in realtime video. Not sure its the longest video on youtube but its quite long.. and there are four seasons of it!

Cab Ride Norway : Trondheim - Bodø (Summer) Nordland Line

Narvik freight...

IORE 115/117 (LKAB, Sweden)

Only question I have is what does one do in Narvik having gotten there ?

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bealman

Sorta like going on a 14 day self-drive tour around Tasmania then wondering what to do with the other 12 days.  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ozzie Bill.

Oh, Bealman, be fair. Tassie ain't that big. Bill.

Bealman

Malc

Well Alan, in Narvik, we took a bus to a little village which was shut. Managed to spend the 3 hours until the bus home wandering around in the snow. Went for a Viking feast and saw the Northern Lights, then of to Kiruna. Slightly more to do there, but still involved tramping around in 6" of snow. Note to Bealman, Snow is white stuff that falls from the sky. The freight trains have 60 hoppers with 100 tonnes each. They use 2 locos, apparently the most powerful electric traction in the world, as the line has some impressive inclines.

Newportnobby

Glad you enjoyed it, Malc, even if you did require a second mortgage for a beer :o

Bealman

Sorry to hear that the village was shut, Malc. It happened to me on one of my trips to Tasmania - when we got there IT was shut.  :D

Trainfish

Sounds like Melksham down here. The only time it's not shut is when Trainwest is on  :o
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

tim-pelican

Quote from: Trainfish on February 22, 2014, 10:40:55 PM
Sounds like Melksham down here. The only time it's not shut is when Trainwest is on  :o

My first real IT job, we had a data centre in Melksham.  20 years ago now.

Trainfish

Blimey, they only had electric installed about 25 years ago!  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Malc

Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 21, 2014, 10:51:36 PM

It or the Bodo line are on my todo list - the freight locos on the Narvik line are really impressive beasts as well which makes it tempting too.

Bodo at least you can enjoy in realtime video. Not sure its the longest video on youtube but its quite long.. and there are four seasons of it!

We started in Oslo and took the train to Trondheim, then on to Bodø by train, boat to Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands, to Narvik by coach, then Kiruna by train. Flew back from Kiruna at silly o'clock on Saturday. Excellent trip and we did see the Northern Lights. The snowy scenery and frozen lakes and rivers was spectacular. All I need now is a week to recover.

EtchedPixels

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

tutenkhamunsleeping

Newportnobby

One has to assume the 2 pints of Heineken have already been imbibed :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations