Steam Punk in N (anyone tempted)

Started by Snowwolflair, March 27, 2020, 11:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Page from Bealman's 1966 Triang Hornby catalogue.... the first mention of Battle Space!

The 1967 catalogue expanded the range....

It's interesting that most of these models had been around for a couple of years and were just given new paint jobs. That loco is of course a synchrosmoke Jinty, which I had gotten for Christmas as part of the Car-A-Belle set.

The page shows various stationary installations, which once again, draw upon existing hardware.

1967 might have been the summer of love, flowers and hippie peace in San Fransisco, but in Margate they were turning out war machines, dude!  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Lawrence

Quote from: bridgiesimon on March 27, 2020, 11:00:10 PM
I think that they are trying to access the wargaming hobby but the issue is that the scales do not match at all, most wargaming is at 28mm scale, around 1:56 and almost none at around oo scale so almost a non starter straight away.

Also, I agree with another poster that a kettle with a few cogs glued on isn't steam punk!

On a positive note, this may well result in a cheap line of chassis and spares for various projects

Back to the original posting, to be honest N scale is too small to really investigate and represent the 'Steam Punk' style effectively - as much about fashion  as it is the mechanisms.

Best wishes
Simon

As with any modelling, the only limitations are ones imagination, it is a world of fantasy after all

Tank

I've always wanted to do a 'Mad Max' style layout, based in the UK with a couple of Class 50's painted black with spikes and skulls on, called 'Mad Vacs'.

One day....!

snitchthebudgie

Quote from: Tank on March 30, 2020, 10:52:34 AM
I've always wanted to do a 'Mad Max' style layout, based in the UK with a couple of Class 50's painted black with spikes and skulls on, called 'Mad Vacs'.

One day....!

Stuttgart 2019 - Mad Max in full technicolour (along with a range of superheroes elsewhere on the modules)

Snowwolflair

What about the vampire train form Priest

Phoenix

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well, and finding plenty to do indoors  ;)

I, like many others really enjoy the steam punk style, being  fan of old style sci-fi, and when done properly, can be awesome.

Laurie Calvert, who was on the railway challenge show, has a fabulous sci-fi layout .....

Coincidental to this thread I am currently watching him on Youtube .....

https://www.youtube.com/user/Calvertfilm

He is currently posting a series of videos of a Thunderbirds layout he is building, with Thunderbirds 1 and 2 attending a monorail train running over a water filled ravine, and a Red Arrow has crashed into the coaches  :o

Anyway, back to the Hornby set, which as Etched Pixells says looks like someone has just stuck cogs onto existing stuff.

I think it looks a bit naff, but in Lauries defense, that was exactly what his brief was. He was given a load of existing Hornby stuff, and told to stick bits on it and make it steam punk  :D

On his Youtube channel he has a whole series of videos showing how the project evolved from Hornbys first approach, to the finished project.  :thumbsup:

I would love to see something done properly in N  :D

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations