Dapol Dave is leaving

Started by StufromEGDL, July 24, 2013, 04:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Will be sad to loose him, I have had many helpful questions answered by him  :thankyousign:.
I hope they find someone to replace him at dapol who is as involved as he has been.

porkie

It is a sad loss and I hope that dapol find someone who can do the job as good as Dave did.
Otherwise I fear dapol could slowly go down hill.

:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Sprintex

Had no idea who "Dapol Dave" was when I first saw this thread, but it seems from the replies he was quite an asset to Dapol. Just hope the quality and momentum of releases doesn't suffer because of his departure  :-\

Paul

Jack

Quote from: Sprintex on July 28, 2013, 02:57:55 PM
Had no idea who "Dapol Dave" was when I first saw this thread, but it seems from the replies he was quite an asset to Dapol. Just hope the quality and momentum of releases doesn't suffer because of his departure  :-\

Paul

There are some, on other forums, who believe it is down to Dapol Dave as the one who dragged n gauge RTR models up to their current status and quality. As to how much truth is in such a view, I have no idea.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Roy L S

Quote from: Jack9465 on July 28, 2013, 07:23:32 PM
Quote from: Sprintex on July 28, 2013, 02:57:55 PM

Paul

There are some, on other forums, who believe it is down to Dapol Dave as the one who dragged n gauge RTR models up to their current status and quality. As to how much truth is in such a view, I have no idea.

I would certainly agree that Dapol's arrival on the British "N" scene seven years or so back was probably something of a "wake up call" for Bachmann.

Then Dave arriving at Dapol a couple of years later led to many ongoing incremental improvements to the mechanics of their models (some of the pre-Dave models like the 45xx were pretty ropey!).

As the range developed, he was responsible for delivering some lovely well detailed models, for me the pinnacle of which is without question has been the A3.

Dave has embraced the latest and best of ideas from round the world such as pinpoint axle-end pickup. We have also seen some great innovations which he has been directly responsible for, such as those fantastic working signals, at an incredibly sensible price, lighting for coaches, easi-shunt couplings, all of which have advanced the cause. Within a price-point we find achievable.

All of that has surely furthered the cause of British N and as one who has modelled in the scale for many years am still pinching myself when looking at the quality of what we now have.

I think we must surely therefore have to acknowledge Dave's massive contribution. However to say Bachmmann would have rested on their laurels with the Farish range had none of this happened I think is unlikely, and also unfair on their own very highly though of Chief Designer Colin Allbright. Although a very different character, from my discussions with him is every bit as much of an enthusiast for British N.

Cheers

Roy

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Roy L S on July 28, 2013, 08:33:19 PM
Then Dave arriving at Dapol a couple of years later led to many ongoing incremental improvements to the mechanics of their models (some of the pre-Dave models like the 45xx were pretty ropey!).

If I remember rightly his first project was the 220 voyager which was the biggest mechanical botch job Dapol ever produced.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Roy L S

Quote from: EtchedPixels on July 28, 2013, 08:40:18 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on July 28, 2013, 08:33:19 PM

If I remember rightly his first project was the 220 voyager which was the biggest mechanical botch job Dapol ever produced.

Alan

Ah, erm, yes, forgot that one, rushed to Market under a cloak of secrecy and totally eclipsed by the Farish product when it arrived.

EtchedPixels

In some ways.. the Dapol mechanism sucked but the Farish body wasn't great the top speed on the Farish was too low and the couplers pants. Hardly eclipsed IMHO. The good model was the Dapol 221
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Roy L S

Quote from: EtchedPixels on July 28, 2013, 09:28:17 PM
In some ways.. the Dapol mechanism sucked but the Farish body wasn't great the top speed on the Farish was too low and the couplers pants. Hardly eclipsed IMHO. The good model was the Dapol 221

I have to admit the finer points of 220s/221s is not really my area of expertise.

My comments were based on my own observations, having seen  both running, and the opinions of my Club colleagues and others who have had both variants.

Cheers

Roy

Hailstone

Whoever takes his place will have some big shoes to fill - I always found him friendly, approachable & knowledgeable - my best wishes to him in whatever he does next.

Mr Sprue

From what I have heard the speculation is that he could be setting up on his own, but that is only hear say.  ::)

H

Quote from: Mr Sprue on July 29, 2013, 09:24:15 AM

From what I have heard the speculation is that he could be setting up on his own, but that is only hear say.

Yep, see: http://s480747971.websitehome.co.uk/

H.

njee20

What an odd photo on the homepage, looks like he was leaning on something which has been edited out!  :hmmm:

OwL

WoW!

That is well and truly a slapped down gauntlet if ever I saw one! Watch out Dap's and GraFar!!! :telloff:
;D ;D ;D

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Mr Sprue

Quote from: H on August 16, 2013, 10:35:22 PM
Quote from: Mr Sprue on July 29, 2013, 09:24:15 AM

From what I have heard the speculation is that he could be setting up on his own, but that is only hear say.

Yep, see: http://s480747971.websitehome.co.uk/

H.

Correct H as posted here : http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=15826.msg157002#msg157002 at  09:45:30 PM ! ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations