Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: EtchedPixels on November 10, 2014, 11:53:28 AM
Quote from: mark37/4 on November 10, 2014, 11:09:38 AM
Ive seen that aswell Simon, It seems that each scale has a select age group

Younger modelers up to mid 20s, model in n gauge or 00

Mid age folk around 30s-40s model in 00 gauge

Then the older generation model in O gauge

At 20 you can read the fine print on the side of an N gauge wagon, at 40 you can see the wagon, at 70 I'm not sure I'd be able to see the wagon 8)

Cripes!
At this rate I'd better crack on or I won't be able to see the layout if I finish it :goggleeyes:

Bob Tidbury

At 67 it now takes me all night to do what I used to do all night,

No not what you were thinking I ment repair Locos .
Bob

Si599

Got house, got girlfriend (Laura/Monty), got girlfriend who is interested in games workshop, pc gaming and allowing me to have trains as long as she can be involved in all of it. We are 26 (Monty) & im 28. I must admit, it is good to see younger people into the scene. I mean this is a friendly forum to begin with which is a winner but it makes it having its younger generation adds to it as well, a wide covering of the spectrum!
O Death Where Is Thy Sting, I Rise, I Fly, I Live!

NinOz

Quote from: Si599 on November 11, 2014, 10:18:27 PM
Got house, got girlfriend (Laura/Monty), got girlfriend who is interested in games workshop, pc gaming and allowing me to have trains as long as she can be involved in all of it.
YOU FOOL!
Girlfriend? ???
Get something legally binding on that woman pronto; ring, licence, whatever. ;)

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bob Tidbury

Yes get a legal document signed quick make sure it states that she will be interested in railways for life , My wife helped to detail my first layout when we got married Now she has NO interest at all  her excuse for not coming down the shed is she is terrified of spiders ,must admit I've got a few big ones at the moment. It Would be nice if she came down sometimes but then I would have to go to watch her and the family indoor skiing BORING.
Bob

mark37/4

Im lucky not have a girlfriend, but i do have a friend whos mad on buses & shes got me in to buses, so im gonna slowly get her in to railways

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

railsquid

I'm lucky enough not only to have a wife who is carrying a future young modeller, but one who worries that I don't have any catenary masts on my layout-in-progress. Even better, she seems to suffer from some form of complete and utter rolling stock blindness - she'll pick up every minor building which wasn't there before, but the other day recently failed to notice that all my Japanese stock had been mysteriously replaced by British and European stuff  :D

Ensign Elliott

Glad to see that its not just my club which has younger modellers and that others have noticed the increased number of young people at exhibitions and the like. I think one of the main things stopping young people is the very high prices of locos and stock these days.

Quote from: d-a-n on November 09, 2014, 04:05:26 PM
As said above, I think we're just finding each other a bit more easily online, as well as the Internet offering us the chance to read about locos/trains, see layouts/get advice from Youtube and forums and make rash. late-night purchases from online retailers...
Model railways are very much a luxury but are nowhere near as expensive as cars, motorbikes, golf or the like can be.
Where are you based Elliott?

I'm in Lichfield, Staffordshire.

Got house, got girlfriend (Laura/Monty), got girlfriend who is interested in games workshop, pc gaming and allowing me to have trains as long as she can be involved in all of it. We are 26 (Monty) & im 28.

Excellent! Mine also re-enacts with me, and sometimes wargames too (historical - I've not managed to get her into GW yet!!!) She's quite happy to let me have my own railway room as long as she can come in and sew when we're are at home together.

Si599

Got house, got girlfriend (Laura/Monty), got girlfriend who is interested in games workshop, pc gaming and allowing me to have trains as long as she can be involved in all of it. We are 26 (Monty) & im 28.

Excellent! Mine also re-enacts with me, and sometimes wargames too (historical - I've not managed to get her into GW yet!!!) She's quite happy to let me have my own railway room as long as she can come in and sew when we're are at home together.
[/quote]

Odd, that is the same with me. So long as she can come home and sew whilst i geek out she is more than happy.... Tis bliss!
O Death Where Is Thy Sting, I Rise, I Fly, I Live!

Zakalwe

i think there is a noticeable trend in how younger people develop their interest in the hobby and it will be interesting to see if clubs adapt, lots of exhibitions seem to have and are much more younger people / family friendly although there is a greater than average number of people with poor personal hygiene and huge rucksacks blocking the view.... stereotype off

I like to develop my interest in modelling through the internet, joining a society or a group just doesn't interest me, set rules, meeting times, talking to people isn't what I model for ,  before i sound too sociopathic i organise group mountain bike rides and mates race events , trains is my quite me/son time activity to lose myself in
"I just think people overvalue argument because they like to hear themselves talk."

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations