A choice of two sets, Farish - Coal and Seaside

Started by MalcolmInN, February 22, 2015, 02:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Trying to decide between DC and DCC  :laugh: I can hear the groans already !
I thought I cant ask this on the forum cos I'll get shouted at !

" Can the DCC Jinty in the Farish Countryside Coal set be run on the track and controller of the DC Seaside Excursion set."

So, yep, I did Google and it seems that some chips will (some Bachmann ?) and some will not (but they might be old ones ?) and I think the last time I considered DCC I think I remember something about some will but dont like it, arrgh !

So, 1/2 hour later here I am on the forum anyway asking the question anyhow  :bounce:
as above :)

What's that you ask , , , why  ?
Well if I can then since both are in my era and interest I can buy both and run them together (but isolated in sections) on the same analogue DC layout. And I get both wagons and coaches to play with   test.
And also on other days/times play with a DCC loco and controller (by itself on its own track ) and see if I like it or not. (then chip or de-chip whichever wins )

You see, I had to ask, else I'll spend another few months trying to decide betwixt 'em :)
Time for another coffee and aGoogle >>>

EDIT PS I have emailed Bachmann but it will be awhile yet cos it is Sunday :)

Zunnan

I'd be surprised if there isn't a DC blanking plug provided with the Jinty in the Countryside Coal set, so even if it won't run on DC supply, it should be easily enough fitted with the blank to enable it to do so. Likewise the 4F is readily fitted with a DCC chip in order to run on the controller supplied in Countryside Coal, which having two running on DCC will give you a better idea of how it works and operates.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Izzy

Could I just make it clear that the 4F in the seaside set comes as DCC ready, but not fitted with a decoder, as the set is DC.

Izzy

MalcolmInN

Thanks Zunnan and Izzy, yes, all good points,
I was aware but had not made myself clear ! :-

As they come out of the box will the Jinty chip run ok on the  Farish DC controller ?
,,cos that is something else i think I have seen, , that some DC controllers will not suit some DCC chips in DC mode, ahhh,,,
there is another point arising,
Does the Jinty chip need a re-program of a CV or summat in order to run on DC of is it self-aware ? ]

That way I get to play awhile without having to take apart etc. you see  :) ( risking damage and a swmbo saying "what did you do that for" and noticing that I have two different train sets LOL ! :) )

msr

This was covered a couple of months ago:

N Gauge Forum »
    Product Reviews »
    N Gauge Loco's and Rolling Stock Reviews »
    GraFar Steam »
    DCC Jinty from the Countryside Coal set

The Jinty ran fine for me on both DCC and DC. However, it didn't take long for me to reach the limitations of the DCC controller which came with the set and I now have a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2, which is great.

Mike

MalcolmInN

Quote from: msr on February 22, 2015, 04:04:44 PM
    GraFar Steam »
    DCC Jinty from the Countryside Coal set

The Jinty ran fine for me on both DCC and DC. However, it didn't take long for me to reach the limitations of the DCC controller which came with the set and I now have a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2, which is great.
Ahhh ! I'd been looking in BachFar Steam !!!

:thankyousign: got it now,
nice one Mike thank you, just the job. :beers:
Noted about the limitations of the controller.

and the comment at the end of that thread, by John,
"I bought the DCC Warship train set and the loco ran like a dog on DC until the chip was removed and replaced with the blanking plug"
must be what I was thinking of when I said earlier that I thought some chips didnt like DC.

Good that covers it all very well, just what I needed, many thanks.

Well just about it all :) now I am wondering what chip the Warship uses !

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations