PayPal Fraud Warning

Started by dannyboy, October 16, 2021, 03:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I have logged onto the PayPal site 3 or 4 times today without any problem. I have just tried to access the site to check my balance and am getting a 'this site may be hacked or fraudulent' warning. I am using 'Opera'. Has anybody else had a similar warning this afternoon?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

ShakyZZR

I use opera Danny and just tried to login to my Paypal account.....no problems at my end.
I am Homer of Borg. resistance is............hmmmmm doughnuts.

Newportnobby

Sorry but I can't be bothered to check as it involves them sending me a pass number via text which means turning my mobile on, going up the garden and waving it about (they can't touch you for it) to get that number before I can log in.
There's no money of mine in the paypal account anyway.
Probably spam - have you checked the e mail sender address, David?

dannyboy

@ShakyZZR
Thanks for that Shaky. After reading your reply, I tried again twice and got the same warning each time. I clicked on the  'Ignore Warning' button and then I could log in. I use 'Malwarebytes' which I think is pretty good at protecting me and that has not flagged anything - so I am using PayPal again. Strange.  :hmmm:

@Newportnobby
Just read your reply Mick - there was no email, it was just a warning that appeared on screen when I tried to log into PayPal. Incidentally, I only rarely get the 2 factor authorisation request. And I don't think I have ever had to stand in the garden waving it about!  :goggleeyes:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

It's at times like this the 2 factor authorisation process comes into its own. I have the same issue with my internet banking so take the attitude if they (paypal or bank) pay out any of my money and they've not sent me a text to log in then it's their problem completely.
Sure, it's a PITA as the mobile signal here is just rubbish but does protect me.

ntpntpntp

No warnings on Chrome, Paypal login working just fine.

Presuming you type in the address for Paypal to ensure it's the genuine link.  Sounds like a glitch with whatever your Opera does to check web sites.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Jim Easterbrook

If you set up 2FA to use an authenticator app instead of sending a text you don't need a mobile signal. The app generates a 6 digit number without any need to communicate with anything.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Newportnobby

The answer to that is quite simple. I don't/can't use apps

Jim Easterbrook

The "app" in question can be a program on your computer.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

chrism

Any time recently that Paypal have wanted to use 2 factor authentication with me, they've offered the option to have them call me, on my landline.
They pop up a number on my PC screen then phone me and ask me to type it into the phone keypad. Since my phone is about six feet from my PC, by the time I've got back to the PC and sat down, the transaction or login has already gone through.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 16, 2021, 04:20:07 PM
It's at times like this the 2 factor authorisation process comes into its own. I have the same issue with my internet banking so take the attitude if they (paypal or bank) pay out any of my money and they've not sent me a text to log in then it's their problem completely.
Sure, it's a PITA as the mobile signal here is just rubbish but does protect me.

Totally agree I have this authorisation also with my banking. Either that I have to use a card reader to generate log in codes. Cant see any hackers getting these two ways of logging in to my accounts!

Newportnobby

I've no wish to give my landline number to paypal, in the same way I will not give Yahoo my mobile number as a backup in case I get locked out of my mail. I just don't trust them.

Quote from: Mr Sprue on October 16, 2021, 05:58:49 PM

Totally agree I have this authorisation also with my banking. Either that I have to use a card reader to generate log in codes.

I generally find only new payees cause me to use a card reader. Once used they appear in my list of potential payees and the transaction is easy..

Dorsetmike

Not having a mobile as Chrism says above, Paypal give me a 4 digit number on screen then call my landline whereupon I enter the 4 digits on the phone keypad. No problem.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

chrism

Quote from: Dorsetmike on October 16, 2021, 11:22:50 PM
Not having a mobile as Chrism says above, Paypal give me a 4 digit number on screen then call my landline whereupon I enter the 4 digits on the phone keypad. No problem.

Indeed. It's just a pity that some of my banks don't think out of the box like that.
I didn't want to give them a mobile number because reception is flaky at best here. One did try sending the text to my landline but the text-to-voice system gabbled the number so fast that I couldn't get it written down correctly and was forced to give them a mobile number.
The others that require extra authentication gave me a card and card reader, which works fine.

springwood

I use PayPal quite regularly for ebay, online purchases etc. Never had any problems as such, but I am always on the look-out for scam emails. I've had a spate of these in the last few months and they typically start 'Account Restricted. Hello (then my yahoo address). Your PayPal account has been temporarily restricted'...and guess what, in the body of the email they want you to log into your PayPal account!!! No way am I doing that. I have officially been guided (by Paypal) to forward these straight to spoof@paypal.co.uk  Another one that crops up starts 'Your account has been suspended (Ref: xxxxxxx). Again, they want you to log in.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations